anyone have pics of sri lanken P-51s?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 5 months

title says it all, need pics for a model :)

woudl be hugely appreciated!

Original post

Member for

20 years 1 month

I'd be interested in them too - having visited the country last year with the former Mrs Tomcat, excellent AF museum - didnt know the SLAF used P-51s.

TT

Member for

19 years 7 months

I don't claim to be an expert in the Royal Ceylon Air Force, but I've never seen any reference to the organisation ever operating a P-51. The RCyAF came into being on Oct 10 1950 and was organised on RAF lines. Aircraft procurement began shortly after formation with an order for Vampire T.55s but these were reportedly returned still in their crates and alternative flying instruction was achieved using 12 Chipmunks and 9 Balliol. Some Oxfords were used for twin training. Doves and a variety of light aircraft were used in non combat roles and border patrols were conducted using Pioneer CC2s and internal security effected by Westland Dragonfly helicopters. Jet Provosts were acquired later.

I gleaned this not from any original research but from the Air Forces of the World written by Green and Fricker in 1958. I'm not aware of any P-51 procurement after that date so I'm bemused by the request for pictures but if I'm wrong bring them on!

Member for

24 years 3 months

I spent from December 12th 1958 to March 1st 1960 at RAF Negombo/Katunayake, this was a shared facility, Colombo Airport, an RAF Station and a Royal Ceylon Air Force Station (RCyAF)

I worked on SASF (transitting aircraft) which was adjacent to The RCyAF hangars, at that time there were approx 10 Chippies, 10 (?) Balliols, 2 Oxfords, 4 Doves, 1 or 2 Herons, an S-51 dragonfly, A Single Pioneer and very late 1959/early 1960 a quantity of Jet Provosts.

I do not recall any P-51's

Starting here there are 6 albums of the base area at Katunayake/Negombo http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1035935699035970728LdjRps?vhost=rides and here is the history of the base http://www.airforce.lk/est/kat/kathisbs.htm although there were other bases in Ceylon (Sri Lanka) China Bay, Koggala, Ratmalana etc it was only the RCyAF that visited some of these bases and up until 1960 were never stationed anywhere else. The RAF Sunderlands ceased using China Bay in 1958

Member for

24 years 3 months

They never had P51s.

Member for

20 years 1 month

Great pics John - thanks for sharing them....

Thanks too Jagan, having spent a good day at the Museum I thought i must have missed any P-51 details...glad to know I didnt...got me wondering!

ATB

TT