Register Free

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RAF Lindholme Crash Sites

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1 Group
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • May 2005

RAF Lindholme Crash Sites

Hi all

The link below is to a page on my website showing photos of two crash sites near RAF Lindholme. I'm hoping that some of the parts we saw can be identified by more knowledgeable folk than me. Also any comments on the accuracy of the accompanying narrative would be well received.

http://oldairfields.fotopic.net/c1311009.html

Thanks
    Old Airfields

Noel & Chris Aviation pages
  • Lindy's Lad
    • Mar 2007

Ok, well this is my take on the bits - obviosly a wellington man would be alot more accurate...

1: Fuel tank / Oil tank
    2:Fuel pipe (Too big for hyds)
    3: Geodetic structure
    4: Wing / Tail spar

11: Seat cover or self sealing tank cover... could also be flying jacket material

17: Oleo strut (fescalised portion with piston)
    18: Wheel and Oleo strut

21: Engine bearer bits and u/c debris

The welly was fabric covered, so would the only black painted metal skin be the bomb doors?

Well, thats all I can tell. Like I said, its only guess work. Ask Brooklands... they have a better chance!

Comment

• Creaking Door
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Sep 2006

Are those large steel plates really part of a Wellington?

Although its difficult to judge their size from the photos they look very big and a far too crude to be part of the aircraft.

I suppose they could be armour fitted as a field modification but for my money they look more like something left behind by the recovery teams. The ground looks a bit soft so possibly something to stop vehicles sinking in (if you could get vehicles to this spot).
      WA$.

Comment

• 1 Group
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • May 2005

Creaking Door

Yes we questioned those large pieces of metal. Our thoughts were are they connected with the MU recovery operation?

Pleased to hear more comments / observations.
        Old Airfields

Noel & Chris Aviation pages

Comment

• Lindy's Lad
          • Mar 2007

Black painted sheet metal - could also be flap , engine cowls, nose turret cupola. There can't be any large steel sheets like that in any aircraft, even armour plate is not that big. It must be something to do with the recovery.

Comment

• antoni
            Rank 5 Registered User
            • Dec 2005

On 26th September 1941 six Wellingtons from 305 Squadron were sent to Cologne. Two crashed on return.

W5557 SM.G While returning from bombing Cologne, the Wellington crashed in adverse weather conditions at Hatfield Moor, killing three civilians.

Sgt (Sgt) Eugeniusz Buszko (pilot), Sgt (Cpl) Jerzy Leyche (radio op) and Sgt (Ac1) Wiktor Wasilenko were killed outright. Sgt (cpl) Tadeusz Korczyk (2nd pilot) died in hospital. P/O Stanisław Barzdo and Sgt Zdzisław Pisarek were badly injured.

14/15th April 1942. Z8586 SM.W force-landed near Lindholme without fuel returning from raiding Dortmund.

F/O (cpt) Stefan Sznidel (pilot), Sgt (cpl) Kazimierz Pasich (radio op) were killed. F/O Kazimierz Joszt (2nd pilot) injured. Kazimierz Konopasek, Wacwław Szmidt, Bronisław Sędzimir safe.

From the Right: Wacwław Szmidt, Bronisław Sędzimir, Stefan Sznidel, ?, ?
            Attached Files
            Last edited by antoni; 28th June 2007, 17:13.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
            X