Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replicas and reproductions

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beermat
    1 Registered Rank Loser
    • Oct 2009

Blimey! I live and learn :-) Thanks.
    www.whirlwindfighterproject.org
    It's all good. Probably.

Comment

• stuart gowans
      Not a real Spitfire
      • Dec 2005

Hopefully not too far off topic; I vaguely recall someone mention (maybe it was David Burke) a year or so ago, the existence of a C119 "center section" in one of the UK museums acquired for use in a Lanc project! anymore details?
      Why be your own worse critic, that's what the forum is for.

Comment

• SADSACK
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • Jan 2000

Re:

Could anyone involved with the Stirling project get in touch with me nickhalifax@yahoo.com thanks would love to hear from you.
        pb::

Comment

• dylan9391
          Rank 4 Registered User
          • Mar 2014

Thank you for explaining EN. Going back to the Stirling project and David's response that you realise the scale of the task in hand. I thought my Spitfire was a big project to undertake, but a front section of a Stirling being the size of a double decker bus. An amazing project.

Comment

• 12jaguar
            Rank 5 Registered User
            • Apr 2007

I think David might have over egged it, not a double decker more like a single decker but a big enough chunk of metal whichever way you look at it
            http://www.stirlingproject.co.uk

Comment

• Mark_pilkington
              Rank 9999 Registered User
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by stuart gowans View Post
              Hopefully not too far off topic; I vaguely recall someone mention (maybe it was David Burke) a year or so ago, the existence of a C119 "center section" in one of the UK museums acquired for use in a Lanc project! anymore details?
              I recall Davids post as it related to the then holdings of Lincoln and Lancaster parts by the Imperial Aviation Group / David Copley at Sandhurst who had previously had stated ambitions of restoring examples of both types (and I think had reserved a civil registration for one to be airworthy?)

Of course the holdings were well short of that outcome, the Lincoln RF342 was less cockpit, engines or undercarriage, and the Lancaster was a very derelict and damaged fuselage as a hybrid of KB994 and KB976 sections, but with no centre section or wing outers etc.

I never saw any evidence of the C-119 centre section but assume it may have been intended somehow to be used with the Lancaster fuselage?

Regards
              Mark Pilkington
              "Never has a Country so Big!, owed so Much!, to those who Flew!"

Comment

• dylan9391
                Rank 4 Registered User
                • Mar 2014

I remember being contacted by somebody/organisation about making a Lancaster front cockpit section out of plywood as he had the flight instruments, seats etc. Nice idea and i would have loved to have given it a go but with limited working space at the time it was just not practical to do it.

Comment

• stuart gowans
                  Not a real Spitfire
                  • Dec 2005

"it may have been intended somehow to be used with the Lancaster fuselage"?

One can only wonder how that might have turned out, la box ca-ster! got a ring to it though......
                  Why be your own worse critic, that's what the forum is for.

Comment

• dylan9391
                    Rank 4 Registered User
                    • Mar 2014

I can't remember the exact specification now but have a vague idea that it was to be mounted on a trailer as a display item. I would have loved to have given it a go.

Comment

• SADSACK
                      Rank 5 Registered User
                      • Jan 2000

re:

There was/is a Lancaster cockpit which was in the hangar at Waddington, years ago. A disabled lad was able to sit in the cockpit, which would be impossible in a complete a/c. It had lights in it and radios. I wonder what became of it?
                      pb::

Comment

• David Burke
                        Rank 5 Registered User
                        • Jan 2000

The C-119 centre section was slung in the pile and I guess it ended its days at Sandtoft . The Lancaster was civil registered at North Weald - acquiring a civil registration is no guarantee that any work has been carried out to start a rebuild ! It often just adds a little flavour !

Comment

• Beermat
                          1 Registered Rank Loser
                          • Oct 2009

Originally posted by powerandpassion View Post
                          EN in the context of WW2 stands for Emergency Number, being, particularly, steel alloys rapidly impressed into wartime service without the delay occasioned by a committee considering the materials classification under DTD (Directorate of Technical Development of the Air Ministry) or British Standard. Most of your Stirling would be composed of BS and DTD materials as well as EN. So you would be right using EN materials and most folk over the age of 65 think of steels in 'EN'. Euro norm, that's something different again....
                          Found this among our collection - from a wartime 'Aircraft Materials Ltd' catalogue
                          - shows that there were different names for the same thing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Part 1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	3657735Click image for larger version

Name:	Part 2.jpg
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	3657736Click image for larger version

Name:	Part 3.jpg
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	3657734

I hadn't encountered EN in this context before, I was wrong.
                          Last edited by Beermat; 12th November 2014, 12:29.
                          www.whirlwindfighterproject.org
                          It's all good. Probably.

Comment

• ericmunk
                            Rank 5 Registered User
                            • Apr 2009

Originally posted by David Burke View Post
                            The C-119 centre section was slung in the pile and I guess it ended its days at Sandtoft . The Lancaster was civil registered at North Weald - acquiring a civil registration is no guarantee that any work has been carried out to start a rebuild ! It often just adds a little flavour !
                            Not just a flavour, but a very good start to getting all the paperwork and approvals in order. A necessity for any project.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                            X