Spitfire PRIV

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 6 months

Found the picture in the attached link :

http://www.spitfire-pr4.com/

Is this the PRIV BP929 that is being restored in Sweden? Anyone know how this is getting along?

Also, reading the 'Spitfires and Polished metal' book, it states AB130 as a PRIV survivor - I know this one was a crach recovered aircraft, so is it considered complete enough to class as a complete aircraft, or is it a collection of recovered material?

Thanks.

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

Is this the PRIV BP929 that is being restored in Sweden?

Look at picture filename!!

Member for

18 years 6 months

Thanks Paul - obvious now you point it out!

:)

Member for

24 years 2 months

Provisionally BP929...but not 100%.

Mark

Member for

18 years 5 months

The slow rebuild of this PR.IV continues. The "c/n" quoted is 6S/138536.

Member for

24 years 2 months

The slow rebuild of this PR.IV continues. The "c/n" quoted is 6S/138536.

...and it is correct. Here is the cockpit data plate.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/Mark12/Album%203/4-BP929ProvCockpitdataplate002.jpg

The provisional RAF serial is based on some crude pencil marks found under the firewall data plate that could be interpreted as '929'.

The Russian records will eventually solve this one.

Mark

Member for

18 years 5 months

As I have understand it - the Russian Maritime AF recived seven PR.IVs and BP929 was one of them. RAF serials of the other six..?

All Russian PR.IVs were used by the same unit; 118 ORAP.

This Spitfire was lost in a crash on 29.2.44 when P/O L I Yel'kin flew into the Vaddasgaisafjället (mountain) in Northern Norway during a mision against Altenfjord.

Member for

20 years 3 months

As I have understand it - the Russian Maritime AF recived seven PR.IVs and BP929 was one of them. RAF serials of the other six..?

More than seven. I post this from my office, so can't quote the numbers, but there once was an article in "Air Enthusiast" on Soviet PR Spitfires, entitled "Unarmed, Unafraid, and Unaccompanied", which listed them all in detail.
Air Britain's "Spitfire International" (by Helmut Terbeck, Harry van der Meer, and Ray Sturtivant) also gives the answer to your question.

Member for

19 years 7 months

Spifire PR IV in Sweden

I doubt that this wreck will ever be restored in Sweden. The lack of facilities, knowledge and money are some of the unsurmountable obstacles in the way of a successful outcome of such an undertaking. I'd love to be proven wrong, but until then...sorry, no way.

Kenjohan

Member for

18 years 5 months

More than seven. I post this from my office, so can't quote the numbers, but there once was an article in "Air Enthusiast" on Soviet PR Spitfires, entitled "Unarmed, Unafraid, and Unaccompanied", which listed them all in detail.
Air Britain's "Spitfire International" (by Helmut Terbeck, Harry van der Meer, and Ray Sturtivant) also gives the answer to your question.

Ok, thanks! The number seven is from studies made in Russian archives.

I doubt that this wreck will ever be restored in Sweden. The lack of facilities, knowledge and money are some of the unsurmountable obstacles in the way of a successful outcome of such an undertaking. I'd love to be proven wrong, but until then...sorry, no way.

Kenjohan

Hmmm ... Of course it wont be easy, but how much do you know about this project? :rolleyes:

Member for

24 years 2 months

Kenjohan

Have you been following progress?

Mark

Member for

24 years 2 months

Eleven PR IV Spitfires are reckoned to have been supplied to Russia under operations 'Tungsten', 'Orator' and 'Source'.

The serials are known.

Mark

Member for

18 years 5 months

Eleven PR IV Spitfires are reckoned to have been supplied to Russia under operations 'Tungsten', 'Orator' and 'Source'.

The serials are known.

Mark

Thanks! :)

Still not many to chose from... which should make it possible to establish (also) the RAF id

Member for

24 years 2 months

Thanks! :)

Still not many to chose from... which should make it possible to establish (also) the RAF id

Well I and the owner have been trying for some time. :)

Mark

Member for

18 years 5 months

Well I and the owner have been trying for some time. :)

Mark

Yupp, me and the owner aswell. Sven is more or less convinced it is BP929 :)

Member for

17 years 6 months

Great to see a pic of the remains.

What are the plans? Will it fly or will it become a static rebuild.

Good to see interesting things happening in Sweden.

Sweden: 12 points:)

Cheers

Cees

Member for

18 years 5 months

Great to see a pic of the remains.

What are the plans? Will it fly or will it become a static rebuild.

Good to see interesting things happening in Sweden.

Sweden: 12 points:)

Cheers

Cees

Thanks, Cees!

Some parts of the wreck will fly, aswell as the plate ;)

Member for

24 years 2 months

Kenjohan

Kenjohan

I don't think Swedish enthusiasts will have to wait too long before they have a Spitfire on their civil register.:)

Mark

Member for

24 years 2 months

The serials are known.

Mark

11 Serials were:

AB132
AB423
AB427
BP884
BP889
BP891
BP917
BP923
BP926
BP929
BR658

Delivered as

4 + 7 (1 Spare)

Member for

19 years 7 months

Kenjohan

I don't think Swedish enthusiasts will have to wait too long before they have a Spitfire on their civil register.:)

Mark

Perhaps not on the register as of today, but you weren't kidding were you...! RW386 is now in Sweden!

T J

Member for

24 years 2 months

Perhaps not on the register as of today, but you weren't kidding were you...! RW386 is now in Sweden!

T J

Well fancy that.

Mark