1941 Aerobatic King of Tangmere

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 9 months

Johnnie Johnson talks of the "aerobatic king of Tangmere" who could take a Spitifire II through three and a half climbing rolls straight off the deck He described him as "our new Flight Commander, a somewhat elderly and heavily mustachioed flight lieutenant." (616 Squadron, Tangmere February-March 1941) Who was that man and what became of him? The three upward Charlies and half loop was apparently one more than Bader or anyone else could achieve.

Original post

Member for

18 years 11 months

Perhaps

Howard Frizelle Burton

CO 616 Sep 3 1940 to Sep 1941

Wing leader 239 (kittyhawk) Wing - Middle East

Passenger in a Hudson returning to UK lost over Bay of Biscay.

(MoBofB kenneth G. Wynn)

Member for

24 years 3 months

a somewhat elderly and heavily mustachioed flight lieutenant.

Burton would have been 24.

Would that have been considered elderly in those desperate times.

Moggy

Member for

17 years 9 months

Billy Burton was reputedly a great pilot but my photos show no moustache at Tangmere. The records I have found so far say the new flight commanders were Charles Bush and Denis Crowley-Milling with 610 Squadron and Lt Charles Arthur with 145 Squadron.

Member for

18 years 2 months

Johnnie Johnson talks of the "aerobatic king of Tangmere" who could take a Spitifire II through three and a half climbing rolls straight of the deck He described him as "our new Flight Commander, a somewhat elderly and heavily mustachioed flight lieutenant." (616 Squadron, Tangmere February-March 1941) Who was that man and what became of him? The three upward Charlies and half loop was apparently one more than Bader or anyone else could achieve.

I heard the story about this on a program about Bader years ago. Apparently everybody at Tangmere had tried to do the manoeuvre (3 Charlie’s were the target that everybody was trying to reach) and Bader had said was impossible in a Spitfire II (he'd done two and a half). That was until this guy turned up and did it. At that point Bader got a hump on and ordered the pilots to stop trying to do the manoeuvre.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Flt Lt "Buck" Casson

I heard the story about this on a program about Bader years ago. Apparently everybody at Tangmere had tried to do the manoeuvre (3 Charlie’s were the target that everybody was trying to reach) and Bader had said was impossible in a Spitfire II (he'd done two and a half). That was until this guy turned up and did it. At that point Bader got a hump on and ordered the pilots to stop trying to do the manoeuvre.

Sounds very much as if our man was Flt Lt L H "Buck" Casson, DFC, of 616 Squadron. Andy Saunders

Member for

18 years 2 months

Sounds very much as if our man was Flt Lt L H "Buck" Casson, DFC, of 616 Squadron. Andy Saunders

Not the same guy that's been mentioned on the other Bader thread thats on the go at the minute :diablo:

Member for

19 years 2 months

I think the gentleman concerned might have been Flt Lt Colin Macfie who was shot down over france 5/7/41.
He was mentioned in an autobiography I read years ago and described as ''an elderly and rather pedantic officer'' or similar.
If memory serves ,when his aircraft was hit he rolled inverted and descended inverted to near the ground and then rolled upright to belly land safely and captivity.
Sorry cannot remember which book he was mentioned in !!

Member for

18 years 6 months

Colin Macfie was mentioned (I think) in Flying Start by Hugh Dundas?

He didn't look old though...and no 'tache... :)

Member for

19 years 2 months

Age is of course relative!!!
A fair number of wartime pilots were young (19 ish)
A Flt Lt of (say) 30 would seem ancient.
But i am fairly sure Colin Macfie was mentioned elswhere!! ;)

Member for

17 years 9 months

I think the gentleman concerned might have been Flt Lt Colin Macfie who was shot down over france 5/7/41.

Thank you and well done Bazv, you're absolutely right! - it was further into "Wing Leader" than I had looked - after the forced landing you refer to Macfie escaped and eventually walked most of the way home!

Member for

17 years 11 months

What was the record for the most upward rolls at high speed.I,ve heard rumours of 6 here in Australia.

Member for

19 years 8 months

I'm hitting my book's here, oldish hey, the young lad's did think Bader was old too, Our own in Oz, Killer Caldwell a grandpa!

I'm wondering if it might be one of the Cranwell boy's that passed though in Bader's time, back in the late 1920's, early 30's maybe.

When Bader was with No. 23 Squadron, based at Kenley 1930/31, he flew the Gloster Gamecock, in the Aerobatic's team for the combined aerobatics.

At the 31 Hendon pageant, C Flight Commander, Harry Day, lead the team, Bader his number two, and Geoffrey Stephenson his number three.

It was said to have been a wonderful success there display, and Bader proved just how good he could be as a pilot, without showing off, Geoffrey sound's like he great pilot too, not forgetting Hey Hey it's Harry Day Ex WW1 vet, who Bader met later of course as a POW as well.

Of course a bit later on Monday morning 14th December, 1931, off he goe's on a joy flight to do some aerobatic's in a Bristol Bulldog to blow the cobweb's out, see's Pilot's Phillips and Richardson below him in Bulldog's and he tagged along to Woodley Aerodrome.

Later got dared to do some flying over the field, lost his rag, forgot the Bully was not a Gamecock, and it next fell out of the sky when he tried to slow roll it over the field.

BANG! we have no leg's Bader, but if you are bored, check out Bader's Sport's Career, both with leg's, and without!! it quiet amazing!

I'll check the RAF 1935 movie once again I have, as there's a lot of close up's of the lad's in their Fury's(who put on a MAD Fury display),
I have picked some out already that made it to 39/40, but I'll hit various book's here too, for the Tang Spitfire pilot.

I'm sure I have heard/read that story before, and Bader was like that, If he could not do it, he would try real hard not to let anyone else do it to beat him!

Ciao I'm of to the book's.

Member for

19 years 2 months

Thanks Beetle,glad I wasn't mis remembering.
I had forgotten he was named in Wing Leader,but then I havent read it since 19 oatcake,it was one of the first 'memoirs' i read along with ''the big show'' by Pierre Clostermann which I also thought was an excellent book.
Does anybody know more details about Colin Macfie?It would be interesting to find out more about him.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Yes...the very same!

Not the same guy that's been mentioned on the other Bader thread thats on the go at the minute :diablo:

Yes, the same man! By the way....I have photos of McFie and cannot imagine it to be him. My money is on "Buck" Casson. Andy Saunders

Member for

17 years 10 months

Hope this helps a little. Standing far right, McFie: next to him, Buck Casson.
Photo taken Schubin POW camp c 1942.

Attachments

Member for

19 years 8 months

Are the Buck's on Buck!

Well after a heavy search of my book's and web,

Yes, I would say Wing Commander Lionel " Buck " Harwood Casson, DFC AFC.
Jan 6 1915-October 8 th 2003(RIPmate)

He would fit the bill perhap's, but he was only about 26 in 41, and did not seem to fit aerobatic wise, with his then flying experience, unless he was just one of those rare pilot's who just a wiz in the cockpit, almost naturally, as if born there.

He was also shot down not that longer after Bader.

Here's a Link for the people who wanted to know about the man himself(hope the Buggger work's), Squadron Leader Buck Casson Daily telegraph Obit http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2003/10/15/db1501.xml

I thought he was a bit youngish myself, but some look older then their time, and then I had a brain wave, that maybe it was someone like Wing Commander George " Grumpy " Unwin DSO DFM., but he don't seem to fit!

Ciao for now it been fun, Thank's guy's......... P.S. our Aussie Tony Gaze :cool: was Bader's wing man, many time's too around this time!, maybe we should ask him :eek: .

Member for

19 years 8 months

cool the link work's " Gut Nacht " all must crash Ciao

Member for

19 years 2 months

After digging out my old yellowed copy of Wing Leader and reading again one specific page about the aerobatic king i realise that i had misinterpreted what JJ actually meant.
I now agree it cannot be Colin Mcfie(googling made him 21 ish)
However for some reason JJ does not name the pilot concerned.... why ??
to quote from the book...

'There was posted to the squadron a somewhat elderly , pedantic and heavily moustachioed F/L who,although possessing no combat experience,proved to be an aerobatic pilot of exceptional ability'......

20 odd pages later he describes the shooting down of this pilot and finishes the paragraph.....
'This remarkable character returned on foot via Spain and Gib.'

Was Buck Casson an escaper/evader ?? I didnt think so but if it wasnt him ,who was it and why was JJ reluctant to name him.

Member for

17 years 9 months

Go back a few lines from the second quote in Wing Leader, Basv. JEJ names Macfie there -maybe because of his "pedantic" nature he gave the impression of age?

Member for

19 years 2 months

Hi Beetle
No i think it was just the way that particular page was laid out,when i originally read it i assumed the next paragraph was still about Colin Mcfie,but i read it carefully today and now think differently.Also the photo posted by Northeagle shows Mcfie and Casson TOGETHER in pow camp.
That may rule out both men because JJ appeared to say that the aerobatic king evaded and walked out through Spain and Gib.
Did Casson or Mcfie evade/escape ?? If they did not then it cannot be either of them.Assuming of course that JJ is accurate in his narrative.

Cheers Baz