Cosford VC-10

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cosford VC-10

Just to let people know it's outer wings are off & it's being moved to where the Valiant was re-built for dissmantling next week.

Is it still going to be smashed to an ally pulp or has she been saved?
    "Good work Raymondo, I'm bumping you back up to DS, only this time make sure it stands for Detective Seargent and not Dog Sh*t..."

Comment

All gone quiet, any more news anybody?

Comment

Ooooh Vicky...... R.I.P.!!!
        Adrian

Comment

when i left work on Tues, it had been moved to the car park & some guys were trying to get the engines off!

Comment

That is sad news! Not to be morbid or anything, but is anyone able to record the process by taking some photos?
            A Little VC10derness - A Tribute to the Vickers VC10 - www.VC10.net

Comment

some pics at last. These two I took Tuesday..........
              Attached Files

Comment

These two today. BAC 111 is now next to it infront of Hanger 1.
                Attached Files

Comment

I wish I could do the same to the ***** who let this happen - no bloody excuse for it at all.
                  Apathy is as powerful as any bulldozer and equally cherished by developers. Others cannot measure the importance of our heritage with OUR silence.

Comment

Philip - problem we have here is that the RAF quite routinely scraps VC-10's at St Athan - there is no outcry about it . It's a simple need in order to keep the fleet going.
                    Looking directly at the RAFM collecting policy - they will in the next few years undoubtedly consider acquiring an ex RAF example . They cannot justify having two ad the aircraft at Cosford in unfortunately in a poorer condition than a freshly retired VC-10.

Comment

Hi David,

I agree with all that you say; but I think the problem is that some of us like airlinners, because they're happy planes which we largely associate with nice things like holidays, and as such we would rather see a VC10 in a colourful airline livery as oppossed to a drab military colour scheme.

That of course said the VC10 has served with the RAF far longer than it did with the airlines - so I guess it all boils down to personal taste in the end.

Steve

Comment

The whole issue behind these actions has been discussed quite extensively on this thread and earlier here, and in other places. In the end it is just a shame to see this happen to an airframe which everyone presumed to have a safe future.

In contrast, here are some photos from happier days: http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=55943
                        Last edited by Archer; 1st September 2006, 13:51.
                        A Little VC10derness - A Tribute to the Vickers VC10 - www.VC10.net

Comment

was the VC10 really that bad condition wise though?

I remember reading about the prototype Super VC10 being flown into St Athan for scrapping. No public outcry over that one either?
                          Cheers,Peter
                          "Merlins always drip oil, when they don't....worry!"

Comment

have a look at the cosford BA thread for more pics

Comment

I'd rather see a VC10 in RAF colours, no matter how drab they are.

It is the RAF Museum after all, not a Laker/BA theme park.

Comment

Positive thinking...

Just to re-assure people that ARVM is not a lost cause, this notice will be displayed alongside the aircraft in the next day or so:

"British Airways is working closely with Brooklands Museum to preserve as much as possible of the fuselage of this aircraft, the last standard VC10 to serve with the airline. Current plans call for the fuselage to be carefully dismantled during September and moved by road to Brooklands Museum at Weybridge for re-assembly. Final details of the move, and of the Museums plans for the fuselage once it is reassembled at Weybridge, will be released shortly."

Allan Winn, Director, Brooklands Museum

Comment

Alan,

Good news, but I am not surprised. Having noted that the Trident was shredded within a day or so, I thought the VC10 was being rather more carefully dismantled.

I was about to propose a rescue plan for the Trident when the pictures arrived of the shredded Aluminium! Oh well...

Bruce

Comment

Very sad to see those pictures... Spent a few happy hours doing touch n go's at Benbecular in her. Arrrrr happy days!
                                    =======================================

"What do you mean the computer say's NO!"

http://cliffibell.fotopic.net

Comment

Bac 1-11 loaded on trailor ready for departing Cosford today when I visited the Museum

Comment

Originally posted by peter
                                        was the VC10 really that bad condition wise though?

I remember reading about the prototype Super VC10 being flown into St Athan for scrapping. No public outcry over that one either?
                                        Interesting... slightly off-topic, but looking at St. Athan with Google Earth at the north-east of the airfield there's a VC-10 in the early stages of being broken up. It has roundals on the wings which would make it one of the transports rather than a tanker. These Google Earth images are usually a couple of years old - generally 2003ish, so any ideas which VC-10? If you look carefully there's a cockpit from another one nearby. Also, in the north-west side there's an engineless VC-10 tanker - awaiting the same fate ?

Comment

Working...
                                        X