Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rolls Royce Vulture, survivors?

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HP57
    • Jan 2000

Rolls Royce Vulture, survivors?

Hi all,

Over the years I have seen some examples of the RR Vulture 24 cilinder X-engine. One was reasonable having been recovered from soft ground in the northern part of Holland. Ours came from the north sea and looks terrible and another one we only recovered gears and other internals from.

Are there any examples that could be restored to static condtion and possibly for a Manchester reconstruction? Something I have been wondering about for ages.

Cheers

Cees
  • Hurrifan
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Jun 2006

Originally posted by HP57
    Hi all,

Over the years I have seen some examples of the RR Vulture 24 cilinder X-engine. One was reasonable having been recovered from soft ground in the northern part of Holland. Ours came from the north sea and looks terrible and another one we only recovered gears and other internals from.

Are there any examples that could be restored to static condtion and possibly for a Manchester reconstruction? Something I have been wondering about for ages.

Cheers

Cees

YE GODS !!! a manchester??? now that would be something !!! Thye are extinct arnt they?

Comment

• stuart gowans
      Not a real Spitfire
      • Dec 2005

Speaking to a friend of a friend at the Rolls-Royce heritage trust, He said there was only one crash damaged engine left (over here) and that was excavated from (I believe) Hucknall.
      Why be your own worse critic, that's what the forum is for.

Comment

• HP57
        • Jan 2000

Stuart,

I have seen a photograph of a Vulture that I thought was taken at RAF Stafford. It showed a substantial complete Vulture but still covered in peat, perhaps this was the same engine.

So no engines have survived not even at the Science Museum? The last Manchester was recovered from a quarry by an American team and scrapped. Pics in the book by Mr Kirby. Pity. I know where the wreck of one lies in the IJsselmeer but it is very shallow and not worth to recover for a restoration.

Cees

Comment

• stuart gowans
          Not a real Spitfire
          • Dec 2005

Cees. it is several years since I spoke to Stan Grainger (the chap in question) ,I was given to understand that, that was the only one they had , but that is not to say the only one in existance ,( or that since my conversation with him that they have not aquired another).
          Why be your own worse critic, that's what the forum is for.

Comment

• DaveR
            Rank 5 Registered User
            • Jul 2003

there are at least 2 vultures in store with the RAF musuem with a third one on loan to RR. The one on loan and the one that I saw (pretty reasonable condition) were recovered by the RAF in the 70's from a Manchester crash. The other I believe was a sea recovery.
            sigpiconly 15 years so far...still a baby of a project www.hawkertyphoon.com

Comment

• HP57
              • Jan 2000

Hi Dave,

Two Manchester engines are in museums in the north and south of Holland. As I said ours came from the north sea and only just resembles a Vulture with the cilinder barrels and engine mounting being recognisable. The one in the north is very complete and still has its prop mounted. It came from a Manchester which crashed in soft soil.

Very interesting engine, deserves more PR

Cees

Comment

• EHVB
                Rank 5 Registered User
                • Jan 2000

Wouldn't mind a bit if one of the existing Lancasters was enginered back into a Manchester. BW Roger

Comment

• dhfan
                  Still cantankerous
                  • Jan 2000

Originally posted by Roger S
                  Wouldn't mind a bit if one of the existing Lancasters was enginered back into a Manchester. BW Roger
                  Just as long as it's not expected to fly.

Comment

• Aeronut
                    • Aug 2005

From what we have seen happening at museums recently, some museum directors ARE certifiable.

Comment

• HP57
                      • Jan 2000

Originally posted by Mike J
                      Unlikely. Why replace an icon with something that was considered unsuccesful in its day, and is only remembered today as 'the forerunner of the Lancaster'?

Any director of a museum owning a Lancaster would have to be certifiably crazy to even consider it!

Mike,

Of course it would be sacriledge if a museum would only even contemplate such a conversion . But there are sections still around (Kermit Weeks, Sandtoft etc.) that can be used for such a project. Don't forget the Manchester wasn only the forerunner of the Lanc. It was a type in itself of which high hopes were placed. But it represented a moment in time of Bomber Command that deserves a place. Why having only succesful types on display? It would be boring as that way most museums have similar collections which is to a certain extent already the case (in my very humble opinion).

Cees

Comment

• Jon H
                        Rank 5 Registered User
                        • Jan 2006

Given we are discussing engines of Manchesters what other bits of the type still survive? Anything of note or just a few piles of twisted metal? I cant say I have ever seen reference to anything but worth a try!

Jon
                        Hooton Park
                        https://www.facebook.com/hootonpark

email - jonhoward23(at)hotmail.com

Comment

• HP57
                          • Jan 2000

Originally posted by Jon H
                          Given we are discussing engines of Manchesters what other bits of the type still survive? Anything of note or just a few piles of twisted metal? I cant say I have ever seen reference to anything but worth a try!

Jon
                          Jon,

Mostly twisted wreckage. But I believe the RAF Museum S-for Sugar was originally ordered as a Manchester. So technically she could still be a Manchester that was converted on the production line into a Manchester III AKA Lancaster I.

Cees

Comment

• H.M.S Vulture
                            Griffon74@Btinternet.com
                            • Jul 2003

Vulture Mk V plate

Hi,

I have a Vulture Mk V, main plate.
                            Having seen references to the Rolls Royce Vulture mk I & II as being fitted to the Avro Manchester.

I have not been able to find any reference to a Rolls Royce Vulture Mk V !

Does any one know about this mark of Vulture?

cheers
                            WANTED FAIREY FIREFLY parts!
                            Griffon74@btinternet.com

Comment

• Robert Hilton
                              Rank 5 Registered User
                              • Jan 2007

The mkV was fitted to the Hawker Tornado, a close relative of the Typhoon.

Comment

• CeBro
                                Rank 5 Registered User
                                • Sep 2009

Here's ours, not much to look at as it has been trawled from the North Sea
                                but it's a Vulture.

Cees
                                Last edited by CeBro; 11th November 2010, 19:26.

Comment

• dhfan
                                  Still cantankerous
                                  • Jan 2000

Originally posted by Robert Hilton View Post
                                  But they only built one. Not used on anything else?

Comment

• H.M.S Vulture
                                    Griffon74@Btinternet.com
                                    • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Robert Hilton View Post
                                    So either it is unique ,or were Mk V Vultures fitted to other aircraft?
                                    Last edited by H.M.S Vulture; 3rd October 2012, 19:34.
                                    WANTED FAIREY FIREFLY parts!
                                    Griffon74@btinternet.com

Comment

• jbs
                                      jbs
                                      Spitfire Tinkerer
                                      • Jan 2000

I am pretty sure the Dumfries and Galloway Aviation museum have the remains of a Vulture engine that was trawled up locally.

My visit was about 5 years ago now - will see if I can locate my piccies
                                      John

I Wandered Lonely As A Clown...

Comment

• andrewclark
                                        Rank 5 Registered User
                                        • Oct 2013

I suspect that was from the Blackburn B20 which crashed off the Scottish coast

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                        X