Project for Divers?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 11 months

If there are any divers out there who need an interesting project, perhaps they could look for the rocket-powered model of the Miles M52. Apparently this model was air-dropped from a Mosquito south of the Isle of Wight (UK) and was last seen heading south at a great rate of knots.

It was quite a large model made from metal, and was never recovered. Archaeology is not just about old bones and pottery, so this may be something for a diving group to get their teeth into. Sponsorship by a TV company could be a good idea.

Some research would be required before you could try for it, and then it's get your kit on and dive!

Let us know how you get on.

Bri

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

Are you posting this on diving fora too?

Moggy

Member for

18 years 5 months

What a fascinating idea, how big was it? and far out might it have flown?

Steve

Member for

24 years 3 months

Are you posting this on diving fora?

Moggy

No, it appears he is posting it here on a Historic Aviation fora, unless something has changed over-night :rolleyes:

Member for

24 years 3 months

Was any telementary done during the test ? It would be interesting to know how fast and what length of time the rocket burnt for.

Member for

18 years 10 months

probably somewhere near Ascension by now.

Member for

17 years 10 months

Blimey! Not that WOULD make an interesting TV programme!

Member for

18 years 11 months

No, it appears he is posting it here on a Historic Aviation fora, unless something has changed over-night :rolleyes:

I think you'll find Moggy was saying : " . . .as well as . . . " :rolleyes:

Member for

17 years 10 months

If there are any divers out there who need an interesting project, perhaps they could look for the rocket-powered model of the Miles M52. Apparently this model was air-dropped from a Mosquito south of the Isle of Wight (UK) and was last seen heading south at a great rate of knots.

It was quite a large model made from metal, and was never recovered. Archaeology is not just about old bones and pottery, so this may be something for a diving group to get their teeth into. Sponsorship by a TV company could be a good idea.

Some research would be required before you could try for it, and then it's get your kit on and dive!

Let us know how you get on.

Bri

What sort of details do you have? What was it made of? How long was the burn time? What sort of speed? Do you think it could be found? I really don't think so. If it travels for 1 mile and it is 1 degree off due South it's a very big ball park.

Ali.

Member for

20 years 7 months

Nice idea but sounds to me like looking for a needle in a haystack.

I doubt v much that enough detailed records survive to locate this at all accurately. A similar M.52 model - admittedly of the Miles Arcraft Ltd Wind Tunnel variety (not from the Vickers/Barnes Wallis rocket model trials) - is already preserved at the Museum of Berkshire Aviation anyway.

Member for

17 years 10 months

Nice idea but sounds to me like looking for a needle in a haystack.

I doubt v much that enough detailed records survive to locate this at all accurately. A similar M.52 model - admittedly of the Miles Arcraft Ltd Wind Tunnel variety (not from the Vickers/Barnes Wallis rocket model trials) - is already preserved at the Museum of Berkshire Aviation anyway.

Around that area is going to be a junkyard from WWII aswell so it would probably take several lifetimes to find it and as one is already in a museum then it's probably not worth the effort.

Ali :rolleyes:

Member for

17 years 11 months

Has anyone checked the bermuda triangle??

Member for

18 years 6 months

It was last seen heading out to sea at about Mach 1.4 - assuming it didn't lose almost all of its speed when it ran out of fuel, there might not have been much left following impact.

Fuselage was a dural shell bolted to light alloy formers. The wing, which was a one-piece mahogany unit with metal reinforcement was held in the fuselage by two cast blocks. The tail was of Birch. Span was 97.5in

There is a picture which has been reproduced in several publications which is said to be a wind tunnel model of the Miles M52 - this is incorrect, it is the full size Vickers rocket in unpainted state.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Sounds like it would be cheaper and easier to build a new reproduction. On a similar vein did anything turn up regards the Avro Arrow models tested over a lake in Canada?

Member for

18 years 5 months

underwater

forget the English Channel for aircraft wrecks,low vis, currents, heavy shipping movements . Instead think about the Baltic,inland Lochs, Lakes,coastal bays and the Med.

Member for

18 years 6 months

Sounds like it would be cheaper and easier to build a new reproduction. On a similar vein did anything turn up regards the Avro Arrow models tested over a lake in Canada?

Definitely. There is considerable detail about the construction in the RAE report.

Member for

17 years 11 months

My original post was a suggestion for divers. The search and recovery could have made interesting viewing. Titanic has been done to death (several times over), so a new project could be more interesting. But, as further details of this model have emerged in this forum, it seems unlikely to be worthwhile.

However, I did some diving off Purbeck (Dorset) many years ago and it depended on whether a good Spring was had what the viz was like - and that area wasn't far from the Isle of Wight. Can any divers comment?

Bri

Member for

24 years 3 months

This Seafire wreck mentioned by Allison Johnson a couple of months back sounds more worthy of a 'diving' investigation. For a start we have a sighting and a location.

Mark

It was in salt water just off Burntisland in Fife. If you cleared some of the silt off the wings you could still make out the markings on it. There's a Hurricane nearby too but I didn't dive that one as I was told there is very little to see.

Ali

Member for

24 years 3 months

Ofcourse if someone discovered the metal remnants of a Sea Hornet !

Member for

18 years 10 months

Titanic has been done to death (several times over), so a new project could be more interesting.

If anyone was going to that level of expense then HMS Hood would be a better prospect....