X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ST
    " I would've got the shakes looking through a collection like that."
    You think I didn't ! ! ! !
    Yes good to see a DH82C far from home, must have been transported there I think
    Do you notice the wing tanks on the Mosquitos ?
    What do you know about the "Nomad/PBY" comment above , cos it's new to me?

Comment

OK I've learnt something, not heard of the Nomad before
      Try this link http://www.warbirds.be/web/content.php?article.131

......but I still don't know if it is or not ?

Comment

Me neither...

Me neither...

That is why I asked some of the experts

Could it have been one on a ferry flight to Russia ?

Mind if I use you pic to ask somewhere else ?

Tks, great pics

edit...

More there

http://lend-lease.airforce.ru/englis...es/commandeur/

Nose seems a bit different than your picture. Mind you it's not the same variant at all than the one in your picture.

Last edited by Michel Lemieux; 14th June 2006, 15:11.

Comment

I was so excited scrolling down, hoping to find a picture of the most beautiful airliner, a de Havilland DH 91 Albatross, at Reykjavik airport. They were used as a high speed couriers between UK and Iceland in the first years of the war.
          ...but, old eagle, thanks a lot for sharing the pictures.

The T-6 Harvard 44-82028 was used as a shuttle between Keflavik and Reykjavik airports by the USAF brass in KEF. Registered in 1945 as TF-FSA to Iceland CAA. Exported to the US in 1953 and registerd as N66J.

Hard to say which one of the Grumman Goose this is. A total of seven were registered soon after the war, and used on the domestic routes in Iceland into the sixties.

TF-KAT, a Luscombe Silvaire 8A, was registered in May 1945, crashed in May 1947.

Steve T wrote:
          "Of all the singular stuff in here, maybe the thing that intrigues me the most is what appears to be a standard BCATP Canadian-built Tiger Moth. How, and why, would THAT have gone to Iceland??"

Steve, there were a total of seven DH-82C's imported to Iceland just after the war and used for flight instruction and private flying. The picture probably shows the last one remaining, TF-KBD, s/n 1407. One of the PT-24 batch, USAF 42-1068. In idle restoration, whatever that means.

Comment

Originally posted by Michel Lemieux
            Could it have been one on a ferry flight to Russia ?

I always thought Alaska was the preferred route (at least for land planes).
            There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

Comment

Bottom of page 6, amazing how many posts we have here !

Just thought I'd bump it one more time before it dies

Many thanks to all who have given info, it is much appreciated

Thinking about the PBY/Nomad and the star on it's nose, as 1945 seems the date on this pics could it have been an ex Russian being returned - if indeed the markings are Russian

DC

Comment

Hi All,

The Warwicks in photos 22-24 are actually from 251 sqn coded AD and 279 Sqn coded RL. No 38 Sqn did not have Warwicks but used the code RL on its ASR Lancasters, which were mostly ex-279 Sqn machines. 279 Sqn operated Hudsons from 1941-44 then re-equipped with Warwicks, Sea Otters and Hurricanes. If you are interested you can get the full history in the book 'Dinghy Drop' due to be published by Pen & Sword in late 2006/early 2007. More details are available at www.rafhistorybooks.com

Comment

Visiting a very old thread but my father served in 251 Sqn in Iceland. He flew in the Flying Fortress doing met and S&R work. Also spent time in Hudsons and a few other types around the place.

These photos don’t seem to be available here any more - is there any way of seeing them?

Comment

Working...
                  X