Rolls Royce and RM689

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

Obviously RR have had the remains of RM689 in storage for sometime , until they could decide what to do with them . What happened to the remains of the Bae Mossie RR299 , are they still in storage ??? , if they were they released from storage , what is your view regarding what to do with them.
I personally think that once an airframe is written off by the insurers it should stay that way , especially when there are fatalities involved.

Alastair

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

RE: Rolls Royce and RM689

Sorry have to disaggree with you there I think that if its repairable then it should be released for flight restoration or again if someone is willing restoration for static. I know that the deceased pilots would hope this would happen as well. It in the blood its all to do with the love of flight.

Just my thoughts.

Merlin

Member for

24 years 2 months

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 20-02-03 AT 09:03 PM (GMT)]I'm more concerned with what they actually use from the original RM689 , I bet the only parts used are the data plates , same old story , it is possible these days to buy all the parts to build a brand new Spitfire (excepting the engine) all you need then is a nice set of Data Plates .
If it is repairable then repair it by all means , however if the insurance company declare it a write off then that's their call and it should stay that way.
However we've all been through this point before , so lets agree to differ .
I was more interested in what happened to the remains of RR299 , did Bae dispose of what was left of her or are her mortal remains under lock and key somewhere

Alastair

Member for

24 years 2 months

Wasn't a great deal left of her I'm afraid Alastair. :(

As I understand it, what little was left was really not much more than matchwood, and I think I heard it had been taken to Shoeburyness and disposed of after the AAIB investigation had been concluded.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Thanks Steve , what were the results of the Board - I thought it was fuel starvation to the port engine and she spun in ?? , must have been a horrific sight whatever it was .

Alastair

Member for

24 years 2 months

Didnt BAE donate all the spares to the Mosquito air musuem?

You would have thought TFC could make use of them, if they would fit - hang on, both T3s right?

Member for

24 years 2 months

Wouldn't surprise me if BAe sent the spares to MAM. When RR299 was flying, MAM helped out with spares when they could.
The last time I heard of was after the ground loop but it certainly wasn't the first.

The international Mosquito community (and possibly other aircraft, I don't know) seem very good at swapping parts amongst themselves when needed.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Erm - the TFC machine is privately owned whilst the Mosquito Aircft Museum's aim is to maintain museum aircraft and indeed ofer support
when they deem it to be to the greater good of prservation.
Anything handed to a museum is for preservation - they don't exist as a spares source for private owners although often mutually
agreably deals do happen which benefit museums and flyers.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Hi David,

Partly what you said is true. It would be foolish if a museum gave away all its spare parts but as with the Museum of Flight in Scotland they gave the Dragon Rapide undercarriage to the one fly so it could fly in their display. Otherwise it may not have flown that year.

Regards Merlin

Member for

24 years 2 months

No problem with that at all but in the past I know of numerous cases involving trades that have been very one way! The greater good of preservation is served by sensible and honest exchanges.