Can you ID this 1970s TV kids drama

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 8 months

As I kid I remember this single UK drama or serial on TV - broadcast in the 1970s. The premise was about this lad who foiled some villians in and around an RAF camp which was set to close. And that's all I can remember. There may have been a radio control model plane featured?

Original post

Member for

20 years 7 months

Seem to rember something about this not what it was called but the plot was on a dimond hiest in France they were bringing the dimonds to the UK via radio controlled 109's?, with diffrent pilots taking over along the route, the kids got help from some guy and sent up thier own squadron of Spitfires, cant rember how but the kids got the diamonds and sent them up in ther spit from france for the long flight to UK over the English Channel, the bad guys had 109's? all the aircraft were fitted with darts that could be fired off to shoot down the other aircraft.

Nick

PS:the Spitfires won and none ran out of fuel mid channel!

Member for

24 years 3 months

I vaguely remember seeing some of the one Nick remembers when I was recovering from having my appendix out in 1987 - hence the vagueness!

Possibly called Sky Pirates?

ADrian

Member for

24 years 3 months

It was a Children's Film Foundation production, as Adrian says, called Sky Pirates.

Sky Pirates (1976): A radio-controlled model plane belonging to a group of children helps foil diamond smugglers.

SKY PIRATES - When their model plane crashes Mike and Harry are befriended by ex-pilot Charlie Bradford and his niece Maggie, who teach them how to fly radio-controlled planes. When crooks steal Charlie's latest model in an attempt to smuggle a stolen diamond across the Channel, the children embark on an ingenious and exciting plan to thwart them.

http://tv.cream.org/images2/cff6.jpg

Member for

24 years 3 months

Well well, I can't be as daft as I look!

Adrian

Member for

24 years 3 months

Hello

Slightly off topic. Does anybody remember a 1970's childrens program about a swiss helicopter rescue series, set in the alps................... :confused:

I remember it had some catchy theme tune?

Member for

18 years 5 months

Two 'awful' ones I recall;

'The Aeronauts' - French Mirage pilots dubbed into angliais and some tat from America call 'Spencer's Pilots,' does anyone else remember these gems?

Steve

Member for

18 years 7 months

I vaguely remember the Aeronauts and, until joining this forum, thought that I had imagined it as no one else recalled the series!

Speaking of dodgy '70s Children's TV series, I received the 1979 'Bailey's Bird' annual for Christmas, featuring a Grumman Mallard!

Member for

18 years 5 months

I also remember something called 'Tales of the Gold Monkey' that had a Gruman Goose and Rodey McDowell in it.

Steve

Member for

18 years 1 month

Well well, I can't be as daft as I look!

Adrian

Well......... how could you be ! :p

Sorry - couldn't resist, school quips are all coming back to me :o

Member for

20 years 3 months

I vaguely remember the Aeronauts and, until joining this forum, thought that I had imagined it as no one else recalled the series!

Of course we remember it - Michel Tanguy was one of the pilots - can't remember the blonde chap's name!

It was a Children's Film Foundation production, as Adrian says, called Sky Pirates.

Aah - memories of Screen Test with Michael Rodd!

Member for

20 years 2 months

I also remember something called 'Tales of the Gold Monkey' that had a Gruman Goose and Rodey McDowell in it.

Steve

Ah yes, a fellow 'monkey' fan :D

Clicky HERE my friend. :diablo:

Member for

20 years 8 months

Sky Pirates - God, I remember this! Been years since I saw it though (at least 1989!!).

Sky Pirates

Would absolutely love to see it again!

Member for

19 years 11 months

The other French pilot was Lt Ernest Laverdure.......apparently there's a new movie about these two involving Mirage 2000's !
They are big comic book stars in France and more than one TV series/movie has been made.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Hello

Slightly off topic. Does anybody remember a 1970's childrens program about a swiss helicopter rescue series, set in the alps................... :confused:

I remember it had some catchy theme tune?

Yes i know remember the two Mirage pilots in the episodes...................................So long ago :)

Member for

19 years 1 month

Anybody old enough to remember "Whirlybirds" ?

http://cellmath.med.utoronto.ca/B47/history/wbGuide/wbLaunchIt.html

It was a B&W American import shown on BBC Children's TV in the 1950s. It featured the escapades of a couple of pilots "Chuck" and "Pete" who ran a helicopter charter company. They mainly flew a Bell 47G but I also recall a 47J.

Member for

19 years 1 month

Just remembered another one ...

"Gary Halliday" - bit like a 1950's version of "Airline". Charter operator with a Vickers Viking - possibly filmed at Blackbushe!

Nostalgia's not what it used to be ..... :)

Member for

18 years 11 months

More recently, does anyone remember the 1990's 'Budgie the little helicopter'? My brother used to watch it and sometimes I would, it was a cartoon and I seem to remember one of the characters later on in the series being a flying boat, possibly a Walrus? I think he was old and had a moustache

Member for

20 years

Wasn't Budgie an invention of Sarah, Duchess of York?

Member for

18 years 7 months

Anybody old enough to remember "Whirlybirds" ?

http://cellmath.med.utoronto.ca/B47/history/wbGuide/wbLaunchIt.html

It was a B&W American import shown on BBC Children's TV in the 1950s. It featured the escapades of a couple of pilots "Chuck" and "Pete" who ran a helicopter charter company. They mainly flew a Bell 47G but I also recall a 47J.

They repeated it when I were a Lad in the '70s, they had a Hiller 360 as well.

Rlangham: The Budgie series was written by Sarah Ferguson, she followed her (then) husband's interest in Helicopters, although hers weren't normally targetted by Exocets.........

Member for

18 years 11 months

Listing here of Budgie the helicopter characters http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budgie_the_Little_Helicopter

The seaplane was called 'Wally' so I think that's pretty obviously a Walrus. Lionel is a Sea King or S61, Chuck the double helicopter was a Chinook, think it's pretty obvious what Concord the jet plane was, but for originality you can't beat Backhoe the backhoe!