Gun Turret projects

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

Hello Lads and lasses!

There seems to be some interest in Gun turrets on this forum and I was interested to see wether or not a new thread on Gun turret projects would be worthwhile?

If you are working on a Gun Turret at home please feel free to contribute. If you have worked on one in the past then please also post your stories and photos.
The attached pics are taken of our own FN5 Gun Turret that is now fitted to our Lancaster .

Attachments
Original post

Member for

20 years 1 month

Our Boulton Paul D type (one of five only known to exist worldwide)

and our B-17 cheek position - does that count Peter?!

TT

Member for

20 years 1 month

Late mark Halifax, Lincoln and Shack

er....and B17!!!!

:D

Member for

24 years 3 months

Sorry my pics are from our lancaster MK 10 FM159
Yes TT your B17 cheek windows count also..!

Member for

24 years 3 months

Yes, very interested. keep them coming.

Cheers

Cees

Member for

24 years 3 months

Hey guys,

I am looking for Ball Turret parts for our B-17 909, particularly hand cranks, cannon plugs, and drive motors. If anyone has leads on such items let me know. They will go into a flying airframe.

Jim Harley
[email]frenese@aol.com[/email]

Member for

18 years 3 months

Ball Turret Parts

Jim,

It looks as though we're on the same quest! I am also trying to restore a ball turret and am always on the lookout for those hard to find parts. I have two Vickers hydraulic pumps which attach to the electric motor. Not sure if you're in need of the pumps, the motor, or both. I've been haggling with a guy that has the complete assembly (pumps & motor attached) but have yet to work out a deal with him. If you have any spare ball turret parts available for sale or trade...maybe we could help each other out.

Thanks and good luck in your search!

John

Member for

19 years 3 months

One of my toys

Member for

18 years 3 months

Rocketeer,

Looks like the right hand section of a ball turret...too bad somebody went crazy with the green spray paint. Nice piece though!!!

John

Member for

19 years 3 months

Rocketeer,

Looks like the right hand section of a ball turret...too bad somebody went crazy with the green spray paint. Nice piece though!!!

John

It is a nice item and will be painted up correctly etc..it came out the sea (still trying to find the history, apparently it came down near Nabs Towers off the south coast of the UK!)

Member for

19 years 10 months

Hi Peter.

Currently restoring an FN4A(AW Whitley)tail turret at home, on behalf of the Ulster Aviation Society. If I can figure out how to attach some pics., I'll have a go later.Posted a request last November looking for control grips but alas, no luck yet; certain internal parts are hard to find, and even harder to persuade folks to part with them(even when they themselves haven't got a turret!)

Cheers,
John
UAS

I have attached two pictures of John's Turret, taken in May 2005

Regards to All

Eric

Attachments

Member for

24 years 3 months

Nice Pics Eric and an interesting project indeed John.
We need the seat adjusting mechanicals for our front FN5 so I know where you are coming from when trying to find parts as it is very hard.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Hi Peter,

There was a mod on the FN5 Lancaster front turret to delete the seat and the seat adjusting mechanism. My excavated turret has had this mod performed on it.

You may not need them after all!

Regards

682al

Member for

24 years 3 months

Thanks Alan. Do you know when this mod took place? Our lanc was built in 1945

Member for

24 years 3 months

Hi Peter,

I just recall seeing it in the appropriate Volume of the A.P. for the FN 5 series and breathing a sigh of relief.

That was down at RAFM Hendon. I will obtain a copy on my next visit.

Regards

682al

Member for

24 years 3 months

Thanks Alan that will be a relief if we do not need the seat installed

Member for

19 years 7 months

Very nice work John!

Eric, thanks for sharing your great pictures with us. Might there be a possibility that you could share a few more with us?

I finally got my turret (FN121) moved into the garage this weekend after sitting idol in storage for a few years. I hope to get back to work on it again soon!

John, you are quite correct when you say that it is very difficult to find parts!

Regards,

Attachments

Member for

24 years 3 months

Mike,

How many turrets are you currently restoring? Didn't you have an FN16 as well?

Cheers

Cees

Member for

19 years 7 months

Hi Cees,

I am really only working on the one FN121. My dad is starting to dismantle another and there is a third being used for parts.

Originally there were five FN121's.

Correct, we also have the FN16 too.

Attachments

Member for

24 years 3 months

Hi,
I've been attemptin to keep track of the Boulton Paul ones here: http://www.boultonpaul.com/preserved/
If anyone can added to these, I'd be glad to hear from you.
Cheers,
Mark

Member for

19 years 10 months

Very nice work John!

Eric, thanks for sharing your great pictures with us. Might there be a possibility that you could share a few more with us?

I finally got my turret (FN121) moved into the garage this weekend after sitting idol in storage for a few years. I hope to get back to work on it again soon!

John, you are quite correct when you say that it is very difficult to find parts!

Regards,

Sadly I have not seen the turret since last May, however John should be posting some more pictures soon!

Eric