Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gun Turret projects

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Fidd88
    Rank 1 Registered User
    • Feb 2019
    • 7

    Thankyou to all of you who have posted shots of these turrets under restoration, it's been hugely useful for me, as I'm currently building a pair of "working" model FN5's at 1:4.5 scale, which have motorised traverse and elevation, a gun-sight that remains parallel to the guns, and the world's smallest (?) operating reflector gun-sight, which stands about as high as a 2p coin! This is my first post here, so I'll try and post a few pictures. Searching youtube for "FN5 turret" usually finds my channel, with a few films as the build has taken shape. There are a few known errors, but it's as close as I've been able to get to a "copy". The chordal braces house microswitches, and a cam arrangement impinges on these shortly before the elevation and depression limits of the FN5, which will interrupt power to home-made servos concealed completely within one of the rams - the "hydraulic" hose being the escape-route for the wiring to the ram's motor. Some 3 years research went into this, and so far I've spent two years building 'em!


    Click image for larger version

Name:	181201i.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	3850801

    Comment

    • Fidd88
      Rank 1 Registered User
      • Feb 2019
      • 7

      This is an old shot of the "pipper". Since then the 3d-printing layers on the arms have been got rid of, and painted; and the angled glass is now optically clear. Damn silly, but enormous fun to make. If it's appropriate here, and people want to see more, I'll post some more pictures.The whole unit from bottom of box to top of the shroud is just under 35mm,

      Last edited by Fidd88; 12th February 2019, 19:04.

      Comment

      • Fidd88
        Rank 1 Registered User
        • Feb 2019
        • 7

        Comment

        • Fidd88
          Rank 1 Registered User
          • Feb 2019
          • 7

          And the CAD assembly drawing. The colour-scheme is that if an early to mid war turret, rather than the "soot-black" of mid-war onwards. The reason for adopting this scheme is that I hope, eventually, to mount at FPV (First person view) camera in the turret to film therefrom in flight, and the lighter early-war scheme will help ameliorate depth of field problems by making more light available to the camera, and less contrast between internal and external light-levels. Also posted a picture of the two turrets under assembly.

          Comment

          • vacb
            Rank 5 Registered User
            • Apr 2004
            • 213

            Fantastic workmanship!

            Comment

            • Fidd88
              Rank 1 Registered User
              • Feb 2019
              • 7

              Many thanks, it's been such long project that it's nice to see them coming together. I attach a selection of further pictures. The ultimate aim is to build a 1:4.5 scale Vickers Wellington using extruded alloy to build the geodetics. The original intention was to build in carbon-fibre, and I developed a method of casting these using a flexible mould to drap over a former to allow it to cure hard to the correct curvature. In the end I was unable to achieve this at a sensible cost, and it was bloody frustrating so I opted to work in alloy as it's more controllable and a lot cheaper! Interesting problem to solve though, and the lengths I made were 33mm to the gramme, and bloody strong! Also pictured is the home-made rotating-jig on which the fuselage and wings will be made. Essential in a tiddly workshop.

              Most of the turret parts are 3d printed in SLS Nylon, although there are a few alloy parts for bearing surfaces and some ABS where extra strength was needed. There's virtually no glue anywhere, it's entirely built using M1 and M1.6 machine-screws, nuts and washers, with around 600 parts plus circa another 3-4 hundred assorted screws etc. This was an early design decision, and I thank God daily I took it, as it allowed for the structure to be dismantled if I ran into sequencing trouble, which I did many times. At the beginning of the project I was still drafting with sharp pencils, so learned to use Autodesk Fusion 360. The result of the first night's drawing - 3 years or so ago - which my long-suffering wife christened "the plant pot" is also shewn. Other comments I'll append to the pictures now that I'm getting the hang of it.

              Comment

              • Fidd88
                Rank 1 Registered User
                • Feb 2019
                • 7

                And the next few pics. All the cosmetic electric cabling is silk-covered-wire dyed to the as nearer shade of "correct" colours as I've been able to achieve.
                Last edited by Fidd88; 13th February 2019, 17:02.

                Comment

                • Fidd88
                  Rank 1 Registered User
                  • Feb 2019
                  • 7

                  And the last few

                  Comment

                  Unconfigured Ad Widget

                  Collapse

                   

                  Working...
                  X