Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

airspeed Oxford Help

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Peter
    • Jan 2000

airspeed Oxford Help

Does anyone have any drawings of the right hand side instrument panel on an Oxford? Strangely enough all of our oxford wrecks are missing the right hand side panels...?!
    Cheers,Peter
    "Merlins always drip oil, when they don't....worry!"
  • ALBERT ROSS
    A man of experience!
    • Jan 2004

A quick 'Google' search on Airspeed Oxford images produced this.
    Adrian

Comment

• Peter
      • Jan 2000

Thanks for the really good photo Albert. We are interested in a drawing though so we can have one built.
      Cheers,Peter
      "Merlins always drip oil, when they don't....worry!"

Comment

• JDK
        JDK
        Mr Tweed
        • Sep 2003

You can have a batch of picture I took of the IWM machine as it started (and later was in) its restoration. Don't have any panel drawings to hand, I'll see what I can rustle up. Off out at the moment, so it'll have to wait. e-mail me if I've not got back to you by this time tomorrow!
        James K

Looking and thinking...
        Vintage Aero Writer: Blog & Details

Comment

• Dave Homewood
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Mar 2004

Peter,

If it helps, the RNZAF Museum at Wigram is restoring an Oxford, and the Ashburton Aviation Museum, a little further south, is restoring a full cockpit. So they probably have drawings. Their contact details are to be found on this site here
          http://www.warbirds.co.nz/sites.htm

Another place to try, also on that site, is the Croydon Aircraft Company at Mandeville as they're also restoring an Oxford. And of course there's the Subritzky family who're reassembling their absolutely original kitset form Oxford. At least one of these groups has to have drawings. I hope this helps.
          Wings Over Cambridge - Cambridge's and New Zealand's Contribution to the Wartime Air Forces

Wings Over New Zealand Forum

Comment

• DragonflyDH90
            Rank 5 Registered User
            • Apr 2005

I think I should be able to hunt out the Oxford panel drawing for you. Ive got it at work somewhere. Ill see what I can sort out.

Comment

• JDK
              JDK
              Mr Tweed
              • Sep 2003

Hi Peter,
              Here's a selection of shots I took when the restoration of the ex-Skyfame Oxbox had just started; the cockpit is relatively unchanged, both from it's Smith's / Skyfame days, and I believe its original configuration.

I can send high res version if you are interested; pic 128 is about head on, and while not a drawing should help with dimensioning.

Dragonfly - if you do manage to dig out some stuff for Peter, I'd be most interested as well.

Dave's comments are right on the money, I also have a photo of the cockpit interior of the Canadian Aviation Museum's Oxford / Courier, which I'll try and find for interior variation info.
              Attached Files
              James K

Looking and thinking...

Comment

• ALBERT ROSS
                A man of experience!
                • Jan 2004

James,

Thanks from me for posting those interior shots! Seems like yesterday that I flew in this actual aircraft 37 years ago from Staverton. The cockpit looks just the same as I remember it.
                Adrian

Comment

• Eddie
                  Smart Ạrse Member
                  • Jan 2000

James - what's the current situation of the CAM Courier? When I went a few years ago, I seem to remember it was in storage, pending being shipped somewhere (New Zealand perhaps?) for restoration. Did that plan fall through?

Comment

• Dave Homewood
                    Rank 5 Registered User
                    • Mar 2004

Thanks for the excellent photos James. I am seriously considering scratchbuilding a 1/32nd scale Oxford, and such details will be a huge help. Sadly I cannot find drawings that have many sections. If anyone has accurate sectioned drawings that couls assist a sratchbuild of an Oxford, I'd love to hear from you please.
                    Wings Over Cambridge - Cambridge's and New Zealand's Contribution to the Wartime Air Forces

Comment

• Merlinmagic
                      Rank 5 Registered User
                      • May 2003

Could anyone tell me when the last Oxford flew?

Comment

• JDK
                        JDK
                        Mr Tweed
                        • Sep 2003

Albert can.

It would have been the one I provided the photos of above, which last flew in Skyfame's hands - 1970s?

I don't think there were any others flying by that period.
                        James K

Looking and thinking...

Comment

• Dave Homewood
                          Rank 5 Registered User
                          • Mar 2004

Didn't Singapore Airlines, or one of the Middle Eastern airlines (Gulf Air?) have one flying in the 1990's?

Comment

• Merlinmagic
                            Rank 5 Registered User
                            • May 2003

Thanks Dave. What a shame it now lies silent.

MM

Comment

• ALBERT ROSS
                              A man of experience!
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by JDK
                              Albert can.

It would have been the one I provided the photos of above, which last flew in Skyfame's hands - 1970s?

I don't think there were any others flying by that period.
                              The Duxford Oxford was the last one to fly, making its last flight (I think) in 1972 and was delivered by road from Staverton to Duxford in March 1978.

Up to ten Oxfords are known in Museums or collections around the world, although only 6 are complete. Preserved examples are found at the , RAF Museum (UK), Imperial War Museum - Duxford (UK),Muse de l'Arme et d'Histoire Militaire (Belgium), with Singapore Airlines at Changi and at the South African Air Force Museum/Port Elizabeth Friends. There is also a wreck which has been recovered from Windwhistle, Auckland, NZ - for sale through Warbirdsite.com. It is not known if any former Fleet Air Arm aircraft have survived.
                              South African Air Force Museum, Port Elizabeth Friends Airspeed Oxford ED290/G-AITF is currently being restored to taxying condition.
                              Adrian

Comment

• ALBERT ROSS
                                A man of experience!
                                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Dave Homewood
                                Didn't Singapore Airlines, or one of the Middle Eastern airlines (Gulf Air?) have one flying in the 1990's?
                                Dave,
                                I think you're confused between the two. Singapore Airlines shipped Oxford R6029/G-AJLR to Singapore from the UK in Nov.86 and restored it as the first first aircraft operated by Malayan Airways, masquerading as Consul 'VR-SCO'. It is now in the Science Centre in Singapore and certainly not airworthy. Gulf Air have a museum in Bahrein with an Anson, not Oxford.
                                Adrian

Comment

• Dave Homewood
                                  Rank 5 Registered User
                                  • Mar 2004

Is the Singapore Airlines one not at Mandeville, New Zealand any more then? Ryan? Or is this another one?

Yes, I was thinking of the Gulf Air Anson, sorry, the memory was blurring over on that one.

As for your list of Oxfords you've missed the example at the RNZAF Museum, Wigram which is being restored from a Canadian example using parts from RNZAF examples. Also the Subritzky family have a complete, immaculate absolutely wartime one which they're reassembling at Dairy Flat in NZ.

There was the remains of another Oxford sold recently on TradeMe.co.nz as a restoration project kitset, and there's another agin in an Australian museum sourced from NZ, in kitset form.

I'd like to know more about the Windwhistle one please - I've never heard of that place, and I have lived in Auckland. Maybe a country district in Auckland province?

Comment

• Dave Homewood
                                    Rank 5 Registered User
                                    • Mar 2004

In fact, you'd no doubt find this thread from my forum interesting about surviving Oxbox's in NZ, which was sparked by that TradeMe one

http://rnzaf.proboards43.com/index.c...4411605&page=1

Just remembered also the Wigram one was a Consul, formerly and Oxford, and will be an Oxford again very soon.

Here is another thread you might enjoy a look at
                                    http://rnzaf.proboards43.com/index.c...8490330&page=1
                                    Last edited by Dave Homewood; 19th December 2005, 07:12.

Comment

• DragonflyDH90
                                      Rank 5 Registered User
                                      • Apr 2005

The Singapore Oxford is currently under restoration at Croydon Aircraft Company in Mandeville NZ (although it has halted presently until Singapore Airlines finalise what they want to do, well find out more in the New Year), as Dave mentioned. And the Oxford parts collection sold on Tradme was the same machine on warbirdsite.com, Im not sure who it has gone to but hopefully it will help in someones work.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                      X