The Passing of Another Great.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 6 months

I read tonight on Planetalk, that the great display pilot Dizzy Addicott was killed yesterday in a road traffic accident.

Someone who can no longer write here wrote this on PT.
I'll share it with you as he's much more eloquent than I am.

See Below:-

"I'm very sorry to let you all know of the death of Dizzy Addicott in a road traffic accident yesterday evening.

My dear friend Dizzy Addicott, WWII Mosquito pilot, Vickers test pilot, display pilot, motorcycle racer and who knows whatever else. He was an absolute gentleman who would hold a crowd spellbound with his stories of his life in aviation (well his exploits around aviation). If you ever met him you would never forget him.

My memories of his flying are endless and almost all humerous. One of two memory that will always stick in my mind is of him flying a T33 display in slacks an open necked shirt and a David clark headset, the other is him trying in vain to get my Kawasaki Z1R in the back of the first Catalina at Finningly in the mid 80s.

I hadn't seen Diz for quite a time and was only wondering how the old Brie was getting on, sadly I now know.

God Bless you old friend.

Steve."

Original post

Member for

20 years 1 month

I'm really sorry to hear this. I've got some footage of Dizzy flying at the 1982 Biggin Hill AIr Display.

Member for

20 years 1 month

Sad news. What a year this has been.

Did he write an autobiography, or publish any of his stories?

Member for

19 years 5 months

Thanks for sharing that AIB, Another great display pilot sadly gone.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Top bloke. Shame.

Moggy

Member for

20 years 5 months

Really sad to learn of Dizzy's passing. He was a fabulous character with an enormous sense of humour whose skills as an airshow pilot were of the highest order. He had flown a great number of types in so many roles to places right round the world so his tales always attracted an attentive audience which usually collapsed in mirth.

I will never forget one show at Coventry when Dizzy was flying a Dakota and the pyrotechnic lunatics had laid some simulated bomb strikes a bit too close to the runway. As the Dak rumbled along just approaching liftoff the explosions bodily shifted the aircraft sideways. After landing Dizzy nearly strangled the over enthusiastic special effects boss saying it was far worse than anything he had experienced in WW2.

Sincere condolences to his family.

Rest in peace Dizzy. I do hope we meet again one day.

Cheers,

Trapper 69

Member for

24 years 3 months

Very sad news :(

Member for

18 years 8 months

Geeze,they're falling like nine-pins this year.A sad loss.RIP.

Member for

20 years 5 months

Sounds like the guy was quite a character.....the world is poorer for his passing. Would love to hear more stories, tho...

M

Member for

19 years

Sad news, maybe not as well known generaly as Ray but a loverly man and great Display Pilot Best Wishes to All his Friends and Family. RIP Dizzy.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Sounds like the guy was quite a character.....the world is poorer for his passing. Would love to hear more stories, tho...

M

That would be putting it mildly.

I remember many years ago he announced plans to go for the 'Land Speed Record' using a Supermarine Swift as the basis of the vehicle.

RIP Dizzy.

Peter

Member for

19 years

What a shame, I'm prolly too young to have heard of him here, sounds like a great fella. What age was he?

Member for

18 years 7 months

Great character, great raconteur. Fond memories of a night stop in Harare on the way to pick up Plane Sailing's Cat. Dizzy as always the centre of attention.
He lived a full life, keep on chasing Dizzy!

Member for

19 years 1 month

That would be putting it mildly.

I remember many years ago he announced plans to go for the 'Land Speed Record' using a Supermarine Swift as the basis of the vehicle.

RIP Dizzy.

Peter

I think it was this one ...
Attachments

Member for

20 years 7 months

Apart from Dizzy's test flying and air displays, I believe he also flew aeroplanes in quite a few aviation films/war movies (eg The Blue Max, The Dirty Dozen, Biggles) - can anyone supply a list of all these?

Member for

24 years 3 months

Ah Dizzy what a man, the never ending stories which kept you wanting more.
I remember him alwaya with his flight case open and his maps flapping around, he never seemed to age.
Dizzy was the man who taught Gary Numan how to fy the Harvard, It was Dizzy who flew as Robert Mitchum in the Film "Reunion at Fairborough" in Garys newly aquired G-AZSC in 84.
A master of the DC3 among many others, he flew many of the Aces High aircraft in fim and television roles.

Sorry to hear you have gone Dizzy.

Member for

24 years 3 months

What terribly sad news.

R.I.P Dizzy

Member for

18 years 10 months

Years ago at Duxford listening to him tell the story about how he barrel rolled a VC10 over the Atlantic. The guys in the cockpit liked it, but they neglected to mention what was about to happen to the wagon dragons sat in the Self Loading Cargo Compartment.
It was devoid of paying passengers at the time...
Seeing him wandering around in that dufflecoat looking a bit like Popeye.... ...thought he was looking for a boat.

Member for

18 years 4 months

I was going to the end of season party for the duxford cat, Dizzy phoned up he was running late was was still coming.

Dizzy was a great story teller, I had the honour to be in the Cat crew when Dizzy was one of the pilots.

Together with a few friends we did pick up the idea to put down some of his story's on paper ore tape. Some time was spend with him, but to no aveal. When to tape and paper was out of the way the story's strated floating.

We will miss him.

Herman

Member for

20 years 1 month

My condolences to his family and friends, sounds like he was first class all the way. Hope someone here will post more about his life and any news paper bio's from British papers about his rich aviation life.

Rest In Peace Sir !
BlueNoser352!