Info on French pilots flying for the R.A.F.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

Hi guys,

I don't post here often (sorry prefer modern/military aviation), but this time I can really need some help. I'm a student modern history and for my first paper (70 pages) I have to investigate the story of a French pilot flying for the Royal Air Force during WWII. I don't know much information yet, but more will follow.

I have to read some books (in French and German). Maybe some of you guys have personnal tales of (French) pilots flying for the RAF, background information, badges, drawings, pictures. Everything is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

RE: Info on French pilots flying for the R.A.F.

Pierre Clostermann springs to mind. Wrote a few books, which you may find on www.abebooks.com (a secondhand book network). There were also a couple in 609 sqn, (can't think of their names at 930 in the morning) and more spread around. Now, if you were doing Belgians.....well, then we would be ssssmoking!

Member for

24 years 3 months

Hi,

Try the following book:

Aviateurs de la liberte, Memorial des Forces Aeriennes Francaises Libres.

Colonel (H) Henry Lafont of Service Historique de l'Armee de l'Air

It lists most of the FAFL aircrew with photos and biographical details.

Which airmen were you interested in? I'll look them up and say if they are covered.

Regards
Ross

Member for

24 years 3 months

Ok, the two who flew for 609 (West Riding) squadron were:

Sergeant Armand 'Fifi' De Saxce, (1941 - 42. Killed with 341 Sqn 10 Apr 1945) and Flying Officer Maurice Choron (1941. Killed with 340 Sqn 10 Apr 1942). That was the rank they held whilst with 609. The name's in Google gave me:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=%22fifi+De+Sax…

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%22maurice+choron%22&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-…

There are some good sites there actually, under Choron, perhaps I will need to spend some time looking at them!

Member for

24 years 3 months

Excellent book of Pierre Clostermann's is 'The Big Show ' published by Chatto & Windus around the fifties but still available if you hunt it out in secondhand bookshops.He also wrote one called 'Flames in the Sky' not about himself but about various people and theatres of ops, well worth a read.