Miles M.100 Student

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 11 months

How many Student's are there? I know G-APLK and now I find a Mark 2 Student, G-MIOO, see photo :confused: Are either flying/flyable and how could MIOO have a microlight registration? (I may have been asleep or out of circulation for ten years) :p

Original post

Member for

19 years

Miles Student

G-APLK and G-MIOO are one and the same. Unfortunately the Student was written off some years ago. The wreck still exists but as a complete "one-off" I would think it unlikely that it could ever be restored.

But then stranger things have happened! :)

Member for

24 years 2 months

She is under restoration at Woodley to static display condition . The guy's at BAM are doing a good job on her.

Member for

20 years 9 months

A couple of pictures taken at Woodley in Feb 2005. I was amazed at how much they had done to it since I last saw it and I expect by now they have done some more.

Lots of new metal being put back in and other work being done. Keep up the good work.

Member for

20 years 6 months

Here are a couple of photos of the Student G-APLK taken at Prestwick in the late 1970s

Attachments

Member for

20 years

Newforest G-MIOO isn't a microlight registration...
There were blocks of G-Mxxx assigned to Microlights but G-MIxx and MOxx (and probably some more) weren't included.
G-MBxx, G-MJxx and G-MZxx spring readily to mind.

Member for

20 years

Wasn't it the designation of the Student i.e. Miles M100 Student? One of the early "fixed" registrations.

Member for

16 years 7 months

Miles Aircraft

The M100 Student first flew on 15th May 1957 wearing the Class B registration G-35-4, and was later allocated the registration G-APLK, and SX941 for trials with weapons. The Student was not transferred to Beagle and remained in George Miles possession. The Student 2 had the Student 1's Marbore 6 replaced by a more powerful Marbore 8. A better history of the Student is contained in the booklet "My life in the Aircraft Industry" by Derek R Emsley who was the Chargehand Fitter during the life of the M100

One of the first out-of-sequence registrations used by Miles was G-AHDM for the HDM 105 proof of concept aircraft, which was a conversion from Aerovan G-AJOF with the wooden wing replaced by an all metal high aspect ratio wing designed by Avions Hurel Dubois in France. The registration G-AHDM was in itself unique as it had previously been allocated to a Halton

Member for

16 years 7 months

The M100 Student first flew on 15th May 1957 wearing the Class B registration G-35-4, and was later allocated the registration G-APLK, and SX941 for trials with weapons.

A typo, I assume - it was XS941. Here is an image of the Student as G-APLK at Shoreham in 1976.

Member for

24 years 2 months

I remember seeing this in the GA hangar at Glasgow in the late 1970's. I don't remember seeing it flying, although it must have flown occasionally as the pics from Prestwick show (June 1977?)

It appears to have been owned by Miles or related companies right up to it accident, so why was it based a Glasgow instead of Shoreham?

Andy

Member for

18 years 2 months

The Student 2 had the Student 1's Marbore 6 replaced by a more powerful Marbore 8.

Don't you mean Marboré II replaced by the Marboré VI? I've never heard of an Marboré VIII

Member for

16 years 7 months

Four different registrations on a one-off type of aircraft ain't bad, no wonder the confusion.

Member for

17 years 4 months

miles M100 Student

Does anyone remember the student as G-APLK at Hatfield during the 1970s doing a prolonged series of tests where it would run in wheels up down the runway for a good 2 hours at a time in conjunction with observers on the ground. What was the reason for these tests?
MTIA

Member for

16 years 7 months

It appears to have been owned by Miles or related companies right up to it accident, so why was it based a Glasgow instead of Shoreham?

Most of the test flying for the Student was carried out by Duncan Macintosh, later to become MD for Loganair. When George had his disagreement with the Beagle board, and had to remove the aircraft from Shoreham, he took up an offer from Duncan to base the aircraft in the Loganair hangar at Glasgow.

I had an unconfirmed report that when he retired in the mid 1980s, George sold the Student to Doug Arnold of Aces High who re-registered it as G-MIOO. It reputedly had an engine flame-out at 600 ft when flying out of Duxford, and was seriously damaged in the ensuing forced landing. I have no knowledge of any injuries to persons on board. It is currently being rebuilt to display condition at I believe the Museum of Berkshire Aviation.

My interest in the Student stems from the time I spent as an apprentice cleaning and polishing it!!!

Member for

15 years 11 months

Does anyone remember the student as G-APLK at Hatfield during the 1970s doing a prolonged series of tests where it would run in wheels up down the runway for a good 2 hours at a time in conjunction with observers on the ground. What was the reason for these tests?
MTIA

I remember it at the 1974 Hatfield open day (see photo below). I also have a photo, not scanned yet, of it at Duxford in about 1984.

http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww110/Jetflap/Misc%202009/Student.jpg

Member for

16 years 9 months

Haven't heard Doug Arnold's name linked to Aces High before, but I may well be wrong.

I recall the Student arriving at Duxford in the early-mid 80s as G-APLK in the original colourscheme. It was repainted in a more contemporary blue and white scheme and carried G-MIOO, and flew quite regularly until the summer day (I can't pin down the date myself but I'm sure someone will know!) when I watched Peter Hoar get airborne then suffer engine failure. As I recall, the aircraft had just broken ground and had not made much height when the engine note faded away considerably and the Student was just squashing along at a barely sustainable airspeed. In what seemed to be slow motion, one wing gradually dropped until my view was obscured; I then caught a glimpse of a wing-tip flashing past pointing vertically as the aircraft presumably cartwheeled.

Peter was whizzed off to Addenbrookes A & E with, we understood, quite severe injuries; but he went on to fly another day, and the Student accident rated as his Worst Flying Moment in a recent interview in a certain historic aviation magazine. I believe turbine blade failure was suspected as the cause.

I was very pleased when the Student re-appeared at Woodley, and I look forward to seeing this pretty little aeroplane back in one piece.

It may not be appropriate to post this detail, but as a aviation-obessed teenager in the early years of my 25 year working association with Duxford, it is a vivid memory.

Member for

17 years 4 months

Miles M100 Student

Great picture at EGTH, I used to enjoy going to the open days.

Member for

15 years 10 months

I remember it at the 1974 Hatfield open day (see photo below). I also have a photo, not scanned yet, of it at Duxford in about 1984.

I too have some unscanned photos of it - on the ground with others at Duxford 6.7.85 and again at Nottingham (again on the ground with others and also one of it flying) 18.8.85

Member for

18 years 2 months

Anyone have a recent picture of it?