New fully restored Avenger for Australia

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years

Whilst I was aware of a third and probably more TBM Avenger coming to Australia , I wasn't aware which one it was and had not paid enough attention to it - The machine in question is now known to be TBM3S BuNo 53337 link to warbirdsresources page is http://www.warbirdregistry.org/avengerregistry/avenger-53337.html
Pic per their site is attached.

The machine in question is the famous and immaculate "Crash Williams" machine from Seattle Wa and is going to be another jewel in the Australian Warbird Crown. Being fully restored and airworthy it should come on the scene straight away. Oscar Duck AKA Randal McFarlane owns the TBM3 E also airworthy in Queensland and there is a third Ex Firebomber undergoing full restoration also in Queensland. Rummor has it that two more TBMs are also on their way - we are seriously going to run out of hanger space soon as well as being able to restage some WW11 air battles in the Pacfic soon.

Thanks go here to Dave Prossors article in Australian Aviation today for reminding me of all of this.

Regards
John Parker.

Attachments
Original post

Member for

20 years

Hi all

I think the penny has just dropped - The F111 force is to be retired in 2010 - it's based in Queensland - There is suddenly an influx of Bombers to Queensland to relatively unknown owners. Come on Oscar you don't fool anybody - you are obviously forming a clandestine attack bomber squadron to replace the Ardvarks when they "go west " . The 5 TBMs and the A26 can even drop Torpedoes - Force multiplyer there, the F111s didn't have that capability did they hey !!

Damn smart and very fiendish Mr Duck!!

Regards
John P

Member for

19 years 10 months

Setter,

it really isnt good to be starting such wild rumours here on this website, it is well known the RAAF is simply retiring the F-111 by 2010 early purely on economic grounds, and there will be a gap between its retirement and the introduction of the JSF!

There is certainly no truth to the rumour that an email found stuck to the boot of a certain recently promoted Air Chief Marshall as he recently departed the Russell Offices, stated:

[B]"The Air Board accepts the recommendation that all of the F-111's are traded to R------- McF--------- (an "military aircraft dealer" in Queensland known for importing military twin engined medium bombers) who is to provide the RAAF with a wet leasing deal of stop-gap Strike Bomber force consisting of former USN "swing-wing" aircraft until delivery of the JSF, based on the earlier successful arrangement which saw USAF Phantom F4's leased to fill the gap between Canberra's and F111's"[/B]

and I am sure OD is in no way involved in such deals!,

(but I did notice Ardvark joyflights and syndicate share deals on "G" models with low hours?? ring "Randy" being promoted in a un-named DownUnder warbird mag?????)

regards

Mark P :D

Member for

19 years 8 months

So how did you guys break the code>>>enigma???

Member for

20 years 6 months

Swiss cheese NZ Avenger

In 1993 I went with a buddy to visit his home town of Orewa, North Island(also the home of Sir Edmund Hillary,it said so on the sign).He took me to a local airshow that I think was at a field called Dairy flats?As I stumbled around the field I came upon an Avenger that appeared to be made of swiss cheese.I have never seen an airplane with so many holes.I have no idea of what was keeping it from collapsing into a pile.My guess at the time was it was terminal and would never be rebuilt.Am I correct?The healthy population Of Avengers seems to rule out resurrection. anyway. Tim

Member for

20 years

Oscar

We hooked the data engine up to a Thargouilan mind transference device and had the resulting data printed backwards on 50,000 milk cartons and a 12 year old kid broke the code and won an X Box.

The usual way

Regards
John P

Member for

20 years 1 month

Tim, that was Motat's Avenger. Like many of their aircraft used to be, long neglected due to funds. Prior to that it had languished in a playground for many years. However, it is currently being fully restored to static at Motat's Western Springs facility for eventual display in their upcoming extension to the aircraft museum. So, in the end it has a happy future, hopefully.

If you'd seen the Solent and Lancaster and others of their collection a few years ago and compare to now, you'll see they can work miracles on swiss cheese planes.

Member for

24 years 3 months

I was thinking this is the privately owned one that was in the childrens playground, it is still stored outside at the owners ( can't recall his name) and is falling to peices. Seen the MOTAT one in store and it isn't that bad.

Dave

Member for

20 years 1 month

Ah, ok. You may be right Dave. You refer to Ken Jacobs's one. I saw the Motat one at Dairy Flat in about 1990 and it seemed to be in a dreadful state too.

Member for

20 years

OK Kiwis

How many Avengers are there over there anyway - I always get confused by the numbers - a list if you please good sirs

Regards
john P

Member for

19 years 1 month

Hi all

I think the penny has just dropped - The F111 force is to be retired in 2010 - it's based in Queensland - There is suddenly an influx of Bombers to Queensland to relatively unknown owners. Come on Oscar you don't fool anybody - you are obviously forming a clandestine attack bomber squadron to replace the Ardvarks when they "go west " . The 5 TBMs and the A26 can even drop Torpedoes - Force multiplyer there, the F111s didn't have that capability did they hey !!

Damn smart and very fiendish Mr Duck!!

Regards
John P

ooh i can see it now honast ducks used bomber lot :D
paul

Member for

20 years 1 month

OK Kiwis

How many Avengers are there over there anyway - I always get confused by the numbers - a list if you please good sirs

Regards
john P

John, four ex RNZAF Avengers remain in NZ today

One at Motat being restored NZ2527
One at RNZAF Museum, Wigram NZ2504 (painted as NZ2521)
One at Gisborne's GAPS museum (on loan from RNZAF Museum) NZ2505
One owned by Ken Jacobs NZ2539

There is talk of at least two groups wanting to purchase Avengers for the Warbirds scene too but I don't know whether this will happen.

Member for

20 years

Hi Dave

Well as you know there has never been a better time to buy one as there are lots for sale at very reasonable prices. Oscar Duck will tell you they are expensive to operate but reliable and roomy and in NZ where the distances are less than here the costs of getting from one place to another are not as great so it becomes quite viable for you Kiwis to get one I would have thought. With 3 and potentially 5 in Queensland there has been quite a population explosion here.

It is curious to me that after Oscars machine left the UK all those years ago another hasn't come on the UK scene as they are great airshow performers and the wings folding/unfolding ceats interest.

Regards
John P

Member for

20 years

Woops Mike

Quite right too

Bit like forgetting a long lost aunt!!

Sorry I forgot it because I never see it - did see the french one but i don't connect that with the UK

Yes be over soon for a jaunt round and will catch up then

Regards
John P

Member for

24 years 3 months

A while ago Patty was trying to persuade Hairyplane to buy one but he wouldn't bite.

Member for

18 years 10 months

John, four ex RNZAF Avengers remain in NZ today

NZ2504, NZ2505, NZ2527 & NZ2539

There is talk of at least two groups wanting to purchase Avengers for the Warbirds scene too but I don't know whether this will happen.

As far as I am aware, only one group - a certain organisation, that recently has had their toys taken away by Auntie Helen, has siezed on Oscar Duck's idea and are attempting to obtain clandestine funds to import some TBF/TBM's in Godzone.

Rumour also has it that the 4 existing examples will be impressed as INST Airframes. ;)

There is NO (traceable) paperwork that 1 x TBF = 1 x A-4 or 339C

Member for

19 years 10 months

Setter and OD

its time for you Queenslanders to come clean on these imported Avengers!! and the secret purpose you have for them.

oscar duck
Rank 4 Registered User Join Date: Jul 2004

So how did you guys break the code>>>enigma???

I found your cache of Avengers hidden in under a tunnel deep inside a mountain in Queensland in October 2004.

I lead a team to explore this hidden maze of tunnels and even encountered your henchmen working in a huge caven in the centre of the tunnel complex!!

If you guy's dont immediately come clean I post the rest of the photographic evidence I have here for the world to see!!

regards

Mark P

Member for

19 years 10 months

ok Setter and OD,

I gave the Sunshine State Air Force enough time to come clean, you left me no option but to disclose where these Avengers are hidden.

I attended a very large swimming hole in the Gold Coast and noticed this suspicious looking hill with an obviously fake volcano on the top, I immediately realised I was looking at the handywork of AVM Setter!!

I hired a small boat and my team and I entered the labyrinth of tunnels via a stream, and quickly found the cache of Avengers hidden in the tunnels,

Later as we entered the larger caven I was greeted by some of your employees (they looked like typical Queenslanders) who were obviously unpacking more aircraft.

We quickly left the tunnel system with these photos of our investigation and the details of the RAAF F-111/TBM trade that has been under planning for some timeh!!

Its time you came clean on your activities in this underground facility! (and let your staff get some sunshine for their complexion!)

as threatened earlier I will now follow this disclosure with photos to prove it!!!

regards

Mark Pilkington

Member for

19 years 10 months

The suspicious looking mountain (and the active volcano, a dead giveaway!) and the secret entrance to the cave and tunnel system where the aircraft were hidden!!

Member for

19 years 10 months

The hidden cache of TBM Avengers stored deep inside the tunnel system!!

Member for

19 years 10 months

Even more Avenger parts!! hidden in the tunnels!