Some thing I was talking with Steve about

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 11 months

Hi All,

As alot of you know here in Maine the Royal Navy did Corsair and TBF training durning the time that the FAA/RN was here their was 17 personal that where killed they are all entumb at the Kittery Naval Ship Yards main Cemetary.

I was talking to Stev about doing something special for these men sadly I never had a chance to get any ideas from him so I would like to turn to my fellow Fomites and see what you all might have.

One of my ideas is to have a Flag Pole installed with the Union Jack I would also like to do some other stuff.

So I turn this over to you all for help.

Thanks in advance

Cheers
RER

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

A Union Jack would be a nice idea. What state or condition are the headstones in? Maybe if they need tidying up you could follow Steves work and have them cleaned and repainted/repaired?

Member for

24 years 2 months

Some other stuff?

A simple bunch of flowers placed on a well tended headstone always does it for me.

The schoolkids around Arnhem do this as a voluntary duty and it moves me every time I see it.

Not a grand one-off statement, just a renewable sign that those who gave everything are not forgotten.

Moggy

Member for

19 years 11 months

Some other stuff?

A simple bunch of flowers placed on a well tended headstone always does it for me.

The schoolkids around Arnhem do this as a voluntary duty and it moves me every time I see it.

Not a grand one-off statement, just a renewable sign that those who gave everything are not forgotten.

Moggy

Hi Moggy,

That is one thing we are looking into the main problem is the Cemetary is located inside the base proper so you have to go thru alot of bells and whistle to get on board. For those who don't know what Kittery does they do the refueling of Nuke Subs.

I had a talk with the PAO about what can be done and he was going to run it by the folks at NAVCINC.

I personally would like to see one of the local school adopt the whole cemetary since its the second oldest milatry cemetary here in the States there are alot of interesting Vets buried their including three MOH holders and six Confederate Soldiers.

When Mr. Martin fellow Mainer and Wix memeber and I go down I plan on getting alot of photos.

Cheers
RER

Member for

24 years 2 months

Hello Craizymainer. What a noble project.

Might it be worthwhile linking up with the FAA museum to let them know of your thoughts and to ask for ideas? You may even be able to generate some sort of funding that way. In addition, the War Graves Commission here in the UK may be able to help as they are responsible for the upkeep of the resting places of UK armed forces personnel who dies overseas.

I'm sure they would be thrilled of your intentions. I'll have a Google and see if I can find you a link.

Edited:

War Graves Commission: http://www.cwgc.org/cwgcinternet/search.aspx

Regards,

Member for

19 years 11 months

Hello Craizymainer. What a noble project.

Might it be worthwhile linking up with the FAA museum to let them know of your thoughts and to ask for ideas? You may even be able to generate some sort of funding that way. In addition, the War Graves Commission here in the UK may be able to help as they are responsible for the upkeep of the resting places of UK armed forces personnel who dies overseas.

I'm sure they would be thrilled of your intentions. I'll have a Google and see if I can find you a link.

Edited:

War Graves Commission: http://www.cwgc.org/cwgcinternet/search.aspx

Regards,

Thank You,

I will send them a e-mail tonight, it looks like we are going to try to make it down sometime in mid-aug, as for a quick side-note I just learned that the town I live in Portalnd has a grave of RN Caption who was killed in action during the War of 1812 I've talked to the local historian who has promise to take me out and have a look see.

Cheers
RER