3 Canberra's up for grabs

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 4 months

Hello All,

The MoD's Disposal Services Agency website has the following up for tender, all are heavily spares recovered but are described as ideal restoration projects

they are as follows

WH849 and WT480 T.4s at RAF Shawbury

and

XH168 PR.9 at RAF Marham.

Best of luck, Go get em...... :D :D :D

Tim

Original post

Member for

24 years 4 months

If any of you are stuck for ideas for my birthday present........

Member for

19 years 4 months

Moggy

Could you get away with having three Canberra's in the garden?? :diablo: :diablo:

Tim

Member for

24 years 4 months

I see a cunning plan here...

Moggy wants a Canberra.
So he goes and gets all three.
Mrs Moggy goes ape.
Moggy stands his ground initially, but then offers to get rid of two of them.
Mrs Moggy happily retires to the sofa having secured removal of two 'orrible big aeroplanes.
Moggy happily retires to same sofa having secured the Camberra he wanted in the first place.

;)

Member for

19 years

Man, one of those (or all of em!) would make a great addition to my planned collection of Cold War Jets when im a millionaire!

Member for

19 years 3 months

If you need time to save up a little more dosh....there is always the old knacker on the fire dump at Wyton! :rolleyes:

Member for

24 years 4 months

I see a cunning plan here...

Mrs Moggy happily retires to the sofa having secured removal of two 'orrible big aeroplanes.
Moggy happily retires to same sofa having secured the Camberra he wanted in the first place.

;)

She's still basking in my having got rid of the Daimler Ferret that had been in the back garden since 1997 :)

Moggy

Member for

24 years 4 months

1997, that's nothing. :)

I'm about to throw away a Cortina GT that's been in the front garden since 1988.

Member for

19 years

Does it work? Now that im 17 i'm on the look out for a car, absolutely any as long as it works

Member for

24 years 4 months

With a few sharp kicks, it will probably go in carrier bags.

If that fails, Plan B involves a 9" angle grinder.

Member for

19 years 4 months

dhfan

The Cortina is is worse shape than the Canberra's then??

Tim

Member for

24 years 4 months

I haven't seen the Canberras but if they're anything like the Cortina, it would take dedication or serious stupidity to take them on.

I thought the rear edge of one of the front wings didn't look right last week - I touched it and the whole wing fell off.

Could be advertised as suitable for restoration I suppose but "economical with the truth" isn't even close. :)

Member for

24 years 4 months

If anybody can make anything of those Cans, espcially the 9, they're welcome to them. The telling phrase is "heavily spares recovered" and whoever said they'd make good restoration projects must have been thinking of the RAF as restorers. :cool: However, it may be worth the hassle to go after the 9's frame or even cockpit section just because there's not a lot of them around in regular public access.

But someone will go for one, or more, of them. Hopefully the 9 will get a few years of TLC by some enterprising (and rich) enthusiast and end up on display somewhere more accessible and looked after than the one at Cosford.

WT519 (PR.7 on Wyton fire dump) belongs to an extant organisation as does, it's reported, the T.17 cockpit in the revettments there.

Member for

19 years 3 months

Les,

The poor old PR 7 at Wyton has been in the same position since Pontious was still learning to fly! They had better get their skates on otherwise there will be nothing left of the old girl........

Jon

Member for

20 years 3 months

1997, that's nothing. :)

I'm about to throw away a Cortina GT that's been in the front garden since 1988.

:eek: Not a Mk1 I hope! If it was and I had space I would be round like a shot! If it is and there's anything worth saving on it I can dig out the number for a chap in Norwich who would probably take it of your hands.

Member for

24 years 4 months

I learnt to drive on a Mk1 Cortina 1200

I then owned a Mk1 GT

Another Mk1 GT

And finally a Mk1 1650 Cosworth :D :D :D :D

Moggy

Member for

20 years 3 months

Fine cars Moggy, fine cars...... :D :D :D

No other car looks as good from every angle.

Member for

24 years 4 months

:eek: Not a Mk1 I hope!

Don't panic! It is (was) a Mk 3.

Are the Canberras really terminal cases or is there any hope for them?

Member for

24 years 4 months

Are the Canberras really terminal cases or is there any hope for them?

The Cans, I would say, are not beyond enthusiastic (and dedicated) recovery, after all throw enough money at one of them and you could make it happen. And don't forget that a couple of good sources of "bits" will be available from next year.

But to someone who can pull a few pieces of twisted aluminium from a lake somewhere and from them re-construct a whole airframe, these cranberries should present little problems. ;)

Member for

24 years 4 months

It all boils down to whether anyone has the motivation to do it I expect.

I'm lucky in that anytime I want to see a Canberra flying a quick pedal down the lanes to Marham does the business.

Anyone know how much longer the RAF will be operating them from there?

Moggy