US Navy Brewster F2A-1 Camouflage

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years

I was just cruising round the Web following up Crazymainer's comments on the F2A-1 BW-372 saga (and wondering what the NHC had said, or not said) and came across pictures of some F2A-1s using the "McClelland Barclay experimental camouflage design" - of which there were at least two.

I'm not going to steal the picture and post it here - go and have a look at:

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/images/h96000/h96143.jpg

Brewster F2A-1 fighter of Fighting Squadron Three (VF-3) At Naval Air Station, North Island, California, 9 September 1940. U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

There is a picture of design number 2 on the website somewhere.

Did anyone else have wild and wonderful camoouflage ideas, in the US and abroad?

Rob/Kansan

Original post

Member for

19 years 11 months

Hi Rob,

The paint schem was used in conjution with the War games that where going on. VF-3 F2A where assign to the Army Air Corp for the games alonmg with some TBDs from VT-3

Cheers
RER

Member for

19 years 8 months

Kansan(Rob),
I will see if I can bring a Buffalo thread back up again for ya mate.

I think you may find some interest in it.

Member for

19 years

Kansan(Rob),
I will see if I can bring a Buffalo thread back up again for ya mate.

I think you may find some interest in it.

Funnily enough, Phil, this came up partly BECAUSE of your old Buffalo threads! - That and Crazymainer's post about the Finnish machine.
Rob

Follow-up question - is there a colour illustration of the wildly decorated VF-3 birds anywhere? (I'll settle for FS numbers if not!!) I'm not making models right now (too much dog hair, no shed and temps in the 100's outside) but I was wondering about trying a skin for IL-2. If you "fly" a B-239/F2A-1 in IL-2 it seems to perform surprisingly well. ;-)

Rob