RAF Museum Mossie?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 11 months

Just seen this pic of the net, what appears to be a silver fighter bomber Mosquito at the RAF Museum at Hendon. Was this an old exhibit? Photo looks rather old, and the Hendon Mossie is a bomber.

http://www.davidpride.com/Aviation/Iwm_14.htm

Original post

Member for

19 years

Flying here.....

Attachments

Member for

24 years 3 months

Used in 633 Squadron / Mosquito Squadron?

Very nice picture, can't believe it's nine years - almost to the day - since such a sight has been possible... :(

Member for

20 years 1 month

ooh didnt know about that - was it a trade or on loan like the Dornier?

Why did we keep the TT version and get rid of what i guess is an FBVI?

Member for

24 years 3 months

Don't know exactly what mark TW117 is, but I've got a feeling the only FB VI in Europe is TA119 (?), the fuselage is under restoration at Salisbury Hall and is eventually due to be mated to ex-Israeli Sea Mosquito wings I think. I'm sure Bruce can enlighten us on all things Mossie though. :)

Member for

20 years 1 month

Not that I'm complaining as the RAF Museum Mossie (ex Cosford) in MoF is ex Sywell.... :)

I was a bit confused by the Aviation News Museum guide which said that Mossie Aircraft Museum only had two Mossies - I was certain they had the prototype, the ex-Liverpool one and the Mossie under long term rebuild...n'est-ce-pas?

Member for

24 years 3 months

TW117 is a T.III, but has been altered to resemble a VI in Norway. I believe it was part of the Nash collection, and its sale allowed the RAF Museum to keep the WWI collection. Others will no doubt know the truth behind it!
TA122 is the MAM's FB.VI... they have the two complete examples, the FB.VI under restoration and the fuselage of TJ118 in several pieces.

Member for

20 years 1 month

Thats a relief I was CERTAIN they had three...anyone know how the restoration of the prototype is coming on - Bruce?

TT

Member for

19 years

Very nice picture, can't believe it's nine years - almost to the day - since such a sight has been possible... :(

Pic was actually taken by my Dad, at the Farnborough Airshow 1961. Lined up in the background are the sixteen Hawker Hunters of the Blue Diamonds, and nine English Electric Lightnings of The Tigers. These RAF display teams preceded the Red Arrows.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Thanks John. Oh for a time machine...

Member for

21 years

Yes TW117 was used in 633 Squadron.

TW117 was never part of the Nash collection. She went straight from No.3 CAACU service to allocation to the RAFM, but was then lent out for 633 Sqn filming. After filming she was delivered to RAFM store at RAF Henlow, until going into Hendon in 1971.

Member for

19 years 1 month

Quoting from Stuart Howe's excellent work "Mosquito Survivors" - Aston Publications, 1986. Here is a brief summary of TW117:

Built at Leavesden as a T.III early 1946
Delivered to No.15 MU Wroughton, 30/5/46
No 2 Armament Practice Station, Acklington, 22/7/47
Station Flight, Linton-on-Ouse, 26/10/49. Coded MS-A and used for DH Hornet conversion training & general "hack" duties
No 204 Advanced Flying School, 31/7/51 - damaged at some point and sent to Brooklands Aviation, Sywell, for repair 13/5/52.
No 58 Sqdn, Benson, 28/2/53 coded "OT"
Stored at Hawarden 30/4/54
To Kemble, 30/9/56
To Hawarden, 30/11/56
To No 27 MU, Shawbury, 31/7/58
No 3 CAACU, Exeter, 31/3/60 - camouflaged and coded "Z"
9/5/63 led a formation of four Mosquitos for the "Official Last Flypast", flown by Harry Ellis.
30/5/63 allocated to the RAF Museum and flown to Henlow, officially SOC 31/5/63
Loaned to Hamish Mahaddie for use in "633 Squadron" but returned to Exeter where between 16-31/7/63 Harry Ellis used it and TA719 to convert film pilots onto type (2 hrs per pilot)
Flown to Bovingdon and repainted as "HT-M" with serial "HR155", used for flying sequences and then returned to Henlow at the end of filming.
Moved to Hendon 1971 and resprayed in situ in all-silver training colours, one of the original museum aircraft on shown when opened on 15/11/72.
Moved to Bomber Command Hall 4/83

Hope this helps!