RAF Llanbedr

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 10 months

On holidays with the missus in North West Wales (Dyffryn Ardudwy, if you're interested), we came across the Maes Artr Living History Museum,which it says is built on the living quarters of RAF Llanbedr. Having not come across this station before i tried in vain to find out what its mission was, but failed rather miserably. Items included was a Gnome engine, Jindivik Target Drone, Avro Anson and a fiberglass mock up of a four bladed spitfire used in a TV programme called 'A Piece Of Cake' (which i certainly cannot remember). Ill post some pictures up when i get Abbie to set up her digital camera on my laptop. In the meantime, i was wondering if anyone had some information on the station's mission, aircraft and personnel. The museum actually is a bit of a rip off- being £5 pounds entrance and hardly any items being labelled up. Oh well, it killed a few hours anyway!
Thanks in advance,
BARNOWL

Original post

Member for

20 years 3 months

I can't find a link at present, but it's recent history was as part of Qinetiq (formerly the Royal Aircraft Establishment), where various drones such as the Jindivik and Meteor D16s were used as targets. Someone will undoubtedly give a far more detailed account. Still in use by the Air Cadets amongst others as an Adventure Training centre.

Member for

19 years 6 months

Isn't this the same base that was on Living TV's Most Haunted Live,earlier on this year?

Member for

19 years 10 months

Thanks both so far... Could well be Quinny, there was a van with paranomal stuff on trhe side in the car park... anyone draw any conclusions from that?
BARNOWL

Member for

24 years 2 months

Thanks both so far... Could well be Quinny, there was a van with paranomal stuff on trhe side in the car park... anyone draw any conclusions from that?
BARNOWL

It didn't have five pesky kids and a large dog in it, did it? :diablo:

Adrian

Member for

24 years 2 months

609 went there in 1944 to practice rocket attacks. No.12 Armament Practice Camp.

Member for

19 years 10 months

Thanks guys, very informative!
BARNOWL