Spitfire LA255

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 10 months

Managed to visit RAF Cottesmore with a friend in the Mob - here are some pictures of the rarely seen Mk21 Spit LA255

Attachments
Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

LA255

Still serving with 7 Squadron, Bomber Command, with the Black XU code I see. :rolleyes:

Mark

Member for

21 years

Nice pics, awful colours!

Member for

18 years 10 months

Yes, I agree - quite awful! - Mind you you should see the state of some of the Harriers there! What was her original code?

Member for

19 years 3 months

Thanks for posting..

Member for

18 years 10 months

You're very welcome - here's a few more

Attachments

Member for

24 years 3 months

Yes, I agree - quite awful! - Mind you you should see the state of some of the Harriers there! What was her original code?

JX-U

Mark

Member for

20 years 1 month

Any idea where the aircraft is now...?

Member for

24 years 3 months

It went through Vintage Fabrics in 2012, so the colour scheme will be right now at least!

Member for

6 years 2 months

I believe it belongs to 1 Sqn Groundcrew, so it’ll be where they are, I’d think.

Member for

18 years

Looks better ... :) Could do with a few more exhaust stubs.

Member for

8 years 8 months

Get her to the BBMF and let them do their thing! They did it for TE311 let them do it for this one too

Member for

6 years 2 months

It was at BBMF for storage when 1 Sqn sold their Harriers. When the Sqn stood up again, it was given back. There’s no funding for it to be taken on to BBMF’s books, and the owners aren’t selling. It’s owned by the groundcrew of 1 Sqn.

Member for

24 years 3 months

BBMF told me that if they could, they would

Member for

10 years 5 months

BBMF looked after this Spitfire and it was made cosmetically sound while at Coningsby. It was a bit of a basket case, iirc the wings were pretty jiggered (technical term), no one at BBMF thought it was a go'er at that time, but with enough money...

Member for

24 years 3 months

Are the any parts unique to this variant?

Member for

6 years

Managed to 'trade' some of the blind flying panel intstruments for my equally aged cloth bomber back in '82/3 when I was groundcrew on F Troop, they are still in use! Trent Aero at Castle Donington had given us a bubble canopy as part of a minor refurb of the airframe, BBMF were continually robbing parts from it during my tenure on F Troop '82/85.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Gosh, I haven't heard anyone mention F Troop for ages (I was on 233 OCU)