TFC Fiat G59

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 11 months

For those of us with long memories. :rolleyes:

In the 1995 Flying Legends program, on page 4, last paragraph. It says: “The Fighter Collection has just acquired a G.55 which was converted into a G.59 single-seater in the post-war period; the aircraft will be restored to flight.”

In the last 10 years what has happened to this project?

Original post

Member for

20 years 7 months

Go on, Mike, add a bit, I'm sure you can. ;)

Member for

20 years 1 month

yeah go on! Always loved the G-59 lovely looking aeroplane - will go see on G-INFO cos i think there are only two in the Country....

Member for

24 years 3 months

None on the register in the UK that I can see

Member for

20 years 1 month

Fiat G-55 G-BBII is on a permit - but the only one!

No G-59s as far as I can see....
What happened to the Italian Splodge camo'd one which used to operate in the UK?

Member for

24 years 3 months

Is that not a G46 then????

Member for

20 years 1 month

Ahem, Bugger.

Off to slam my head in a desk drawer sorry....

Member for

20 years 1 month

Sadly, it wont be at Leg Ends...!

I meant the splodge camo'd G-46....

Member for

19 years 9 months

I believe she left for pastures new Mike.

Member for

20 years 7 months

Off to slam my head in a desk drawer sorry....

You leave that desk drawer alone. It don't deserve it.

Ever feel you've been cheated? (TM, S*x Pistols) :D

Member for

20 years 1 month

found the Ladybird Book of Italian Aeroplanes so off to bone up before re-engaging with society! :D

Member for

19 years 4 months

Will give u some lessons about italian planes mate, dont worry ;)
The G.55 we have here in italy is a converted G.59, the major work being done on the nose section. It wouldnt be hard to have a flyable G.55 out of a G.59 airframe, but u need a DB605, and those are getting harder and harder to find. There are all of the original drawings, even for the propellers, it would just need a good financer.. Besides it would be a really great looking machine!! :)

Alex

Member for

20 years 1 month

The G-46 is based at Booker (again) as it was from mid-70's, when in the stable of Patrick Lindsay. She was later at Staverton for a while, wearing peculiar 'airshow friendly' German colours.

A nice touch with the G-46 is a lever in the instructor's cockpit (rear) which dis-connects the controls in the front. Probably best if your non-pilot passenger did not fiddle with that one!

Member for

19 years 4 months

yeah, italian planes are famous for awkward solutions.. u know that until the end of the war we still had the inverted throttle?(pilots used to say"throttle in your pocket", meaning "full throttle") Not to mention the wheel brakes operated by a button on top of the control stick or the double altimeters..

Alex

Member for

20 years 1 month

I am still searching (after 3 years!) for the date of the first flight of the prototype or 1st production or first conversion of the G.59; all I have is 1949, which may iteslf be incorrect. This seems to be a good opportunity to ask the experts! Does anyone reading this know and can put me out of my misery?

Member for

20 years 5 months

What's happened with thier CR.42?

Member for

21 years 1 month

What's happened with thier CR.42?

Wouldn't you like to know?

Member for

19 years 9 months

whatever happened it will definatly be worth the wait.

Member for

19 years 4 months

we even have a flyable G.59B here. It appeared in U-571 as "the nazi plane" and is owned by Pino Valenti. The plane is being overhauled after a wheels-up landing and it's close to be flyable again. :)

Alex

Member for

19 years 4 months

yeah, but that was in the late 90s, isnt it?
I visited Mr. Valenti's hangar last year and he has so many goodies u wouldnt believe! ;)
The day I was there I saw the 59, a G.46, a SNJ 5, an L-29 Dolphin (?) and the MASH chopper (dont remember the name of dat!)!

Alex

Member for

20 years 6 months

we even have a flyable G.59B here. It appeared in U-571 as "the nazi plane" and is owned by Pino Valenti. The plane is being overhauled after a wheels-up landing and it's close to be flyable again. :)

Alex

I remember her from Legends shows, Will be great to see her again,When did she have the mishap?.