Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flying Legends '05

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JDK
    JDK
    Mr Tweed
    • Sep 2003

Whitefox.

What's going to be at Legends is an irrelevant question. If you go you'll be served an afternoon of the best W.W.II fighters and friends flying. The real question is what's going to be interesting for your family.

You probably need to think about what sort of aviation is going to be a winner with your family. If what is widely regarded as 'the best W.W.II warbird show' will be the right kind of aeroplanes, then Flying Legends is it. If they aren't that bothered about W.W.II fighters but want a nice day out, Old Warden beats Duxford hands down.

If they tire easily, then Old Warden would be better, as it's basically a big field where everything's in easy reach and there are few queues - for people less or uninterested in aviation there's a bigger 'wow' to be had at Old Warden.

Much as we here might love the day at Legends, if you can't tell a Spitfire from a Hurricane (or, indeed a Mustang) it's going to be a very repetative afternoon. How's your family on aviation history?

Old Warden will give you Edwardian aeroplanes (always a hit with the ladies) through to post W.W.II; aerobatics, plus varieties of colour and shape. Legends is probably the most narrow airshow in terms of it's presentation - great if you like that area, not if you don't or if, like me, you find 8 Mustangs no more exciting than 6 Mustangs.

Hope this helps.
    James K

Looking and thinking...
    Vintage Aero Writer: Blog & Details

Comment

• Chris G
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Jan 2000

Re: Jets

Moggy said "Who knows? They might really prefer a jet/heavy metal show."
      Departed until sense is talked

Comment

• Chris G
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • Jan 2000

I appreciate that is blindingly obvious this morning. I'll stop digging
        Departed until sense is talked

Comment

• SteveYoung
          • Jan 2000

Originally posted by Mike J
          Nobody suggested that there would be jets at Legends airgage.
          Me262 anyone?

Sorry, I'll get me coat...

Comment

• Will J
            Dakota Promoter
            • Feb 2004

Now that would open a whole new can of kerosene fuelled worms, whilst I realise that a Meteor NF11 never engaged in combat with an Me262, somebody would have to be there to give a bit of balance

~duck~
            Classic Flight Volunteer

www.classicflight.com

Comment

• Chipmunk Carol
              Surly bond slipper
              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by airgage
              If Mrs grand parent doesn't like a/c then Old|Warden has other options.
              Yes, she may be sick of them after having had to build so many of them!

Old Warden has atmosphere, but Flying Legends has the slickest, best-choreographed air show I have ever seen, and I've seen a fair number internationally. I know of no other airshow where you cannot bare to look away for a moment.

Take them to Legends and if they thoroughly enjoy it, take them to Old Warden on another day. The Sunset Displays are excellent.
              de Havilland forever!

Comment

• Moggy C
                • Jan 2000

Originally posted by airgage
                I appreciate that is blindingly obvious this morning. I'll stop digging

Moggy
                "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

Comment

• Arm Waver
                  Certified...
                  • Mar 2004

Images of a bare Janie looking away flashed through my mind when I read this..........
                  Me too.... Must be catching - Should I get out more?

ONe year I'll get to Legends - I have a long standing commitment to work over at Turweston for the Grand Prix weekend and it seems to clash again...
                  It is only kinky the first time...

Comment

• JDK
                    JDK
                    Mr Tweed
                    • Sep 2003

Hmmm.

If your blue touch paper isn't lit by W.W.II metal, Legends will be very repetative and boring, with queues for the toilets, entry and exit, and a lot of routemarching over a big (usually wet) airfield. And I like the place! but I wouldn't take anyone there without making sure it was their thing.

Mrs JDK will go to any number of Old Wardens, but finds Duxford mainly boys and toys. Other non-aviation friends I've taken to either venue give 100% thumbs up to OW (unless it's wet ) and mixed results to DX. Depends on what you like.

I've borne looking away quite a lot at Flying Legends. P-51D doing figure of 8 tailchases don't work for me. There's a couple of times I'd rather not have been watching too. Old Warden's feeling of risk is quite different.

Cheers!
                    Last edited by JDK; 10th June 2005, 13:02.
                    James K

Looking and thinking...

Comment

• Moggy C
                      • Jan 2000

Originally posted by JDK
                      ...., with queues for the toilets
                      I'm sure Whitefox is a FlyPast subscriber, so no queues for the luxury bog for him and his frandparents

Moggy
                      "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

Comment

• Auster Fan
                        Dreaming of my PPL
                        • Dec 2003

Images of a bare Janie looking away flashed through my mind when I read this..........
                        Is the world REALLY ready for that??!!!
                        I like being grey - it means I can worry without it showing!

Comment

• Mark V
                          Steve Atkin
                          • Jun 2003

Originally posted by JDK
                          over a big (usually wet) airfield.
                          Now come on James, the Legends show has had one or two run-ins with weather but its usually blazing sunshine that weekend
                          www.warbirdcolour.co.uk

Comment

• Paul F
                            Retired Lawnmower Racer
                            • May 2005

At risk of adding nothing to this discussion....

All comments so far are perfectly valid.

Having taken older in-laws to Shuttleworth Display at Old Warden, they really enjoyed the intimate "garden party" atmosphere, even the Mum-in-Law ( ) found the day bearable . Although I never took them to Legends, I feel that they, not being particularly "WWII aircraft lovers" would have found endless WWII machines a little tedious. Also, if they get bored and want to look around static aircraft the nature of Duxford mena sthey will either have some very long walks, or miss a lot of gorund-bound exhibits, whereas Old Warden is about the size of two small ish fields, with a relatively compact set of hangars, and a fairly short static park. Personally I would enjoy either show, but then I'll watch just about anything that flies!

So, if the oldies in question just fancy a good day out but are not particulalry WWII fans I would recommend OW as favourite. However, if they have a hankerring to see loads of Mustangs or Spitfires, or other WWII hardware then Legends might be better bet.

As Moggy says, Dx and OW are geographically fairly close, so unless you live on doorstep of one or other travelling to either would probably be similar. In either case try to convince them that an early start is worthwhile to avoid sitting in traffic queues on way in, and at OW you might even be able to watch flying from the car should it rain (perish the thought- rain in UK in July, surely not! ).

Doubt this has clarified your choice much , but best of luck whichever you choose.

Paul F

Comment

• DIGBY
                              Rank 5 Registered User
                              • Mar 2003

Listening to the views and moans etc ie wet airfields and prices and toilets etc then why don't you all just stay at home

Comment

• Andy in Beds
                                Hawker Aircraft Fan
                                • Oct 2003

Originally posted by DIGBY
                                Listening to the views and moans etc ie wet airfields and prices and toilets etc then why don't you all just stay at home
                                I was going to do just that.
                                It is better to be born a beggar than a fool.

Comment

• Moggy C
                                  • Jan 2000

Originally posted by DIGBY
                                  Listening to the views and moans etc ie wet airfields and prices and toilets etc
                                  So your attitude is that we should never tell people asking for information the downside as well as the upside?

Why is that?

Moggy

Comment

• JDK
                                    JDK
                                    Mr Tweed
                                    • Sep 2003

Why stop there? I left the country.

Just to clarify though, DX and Old Warden are two of my favourite places on the globe. I can't say I enjoy them on a wet weekend.

The work of certain TFC denizens is wonderful. Their posts here, four times out of five, add nothing, except a certain troll-like grumble. Still it's good to let off steam. Or hot air. Or something. Oh, and personally, I never need complain about the entry fees.
                                    Last edited by JDK; 10th June 2005, 23:24.
                                    James K

Looking and thinking...

Comment

• curlyboy
                                      Rank 5 Registered User
                                      • Feb 2004

flying legends

I have been going to flying legends for a few years now and i have never stood in a line for the loo's, and i sometimes sit by the car during the displays as that is a good place for unimpeeded views and i have some great pics of both b17s from a few years ago which had no ones head in it or half of the american air museum, as for old warden it is great but is certainly NOT in the same league as flying legends. and as for the rain hide under the shackleton or victor you cant do the at old warden (it also works if the suns out like last year).

curlyboy
                                      Last edited by curlyboy; 11th June 2005, 23:35.
                                      Goodness, Gracious Great Balls Of Fire

Comment

• ZRX61
                                        Rank 5 Registered User
                                        • May 2005

Many years ago Avro's Finest walked out of the TFC office building & found some oik peeing up against the side of the T2... 'hey, thats looks just like a real penis.. only smaller" at which point everyone within earshot turned to look...
                                        If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: It's all balls. RJM.

Comment

• Moggy C
                                          • Jan 2000

Originally posted by ZRX61
                                          ... . 'hey, thats looks just like a real penis.. only smaller" at which point everyone within earshot turned to look...
                                          Quoted from a James Bond film.

Moggy

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                          X