Compass for what aircraft?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 11 months

Hi everyone,

I know someone will be able to I.D this compass.

Aircraft type (types) and age appreciated, or is it a master compass.

Type 06A
6A/1248
No. 47142 H.

Thanks

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

Not really for an aircraft, more for a person as in an Observer (Navigator). The O.6A is a hand held observers' compass found on most multi crewed aircraft and Marine Craft of WW.2 and post war period.

Anne

Member for

19 years 3 months

Hmm. Was this type or something similar also used for ground calibration of aircraft compasses? Or does that bit of kit look rather different?

Member for

24 years 2 months

Not sure how it would be used for calibration.

It was used to take bearings as an aid to navigation. On ships it could also be used to determine if you were going to hit another ship i.e. if the ship you saw on the horizon 10 minutes ago is still on the same compass bearing as before, one of you is going to have to change headings because your on a collision course.

Anne

Member for

19 years 2 months

Hmm. Was this type or something similar also used for ground calibration of aircraft compasses? Or does that bit of kit look rather different?

nope....compass swinging with a compass rose in the words of a famous song...'same as it ever was!'

Member for

19 years 3 months

nope....compass swinging with a compass rose in the words of a famous song...'same as it ever was!'

Ah, ok. Thanks; I'd been told this type (with the vertical grip) was somehow used for that purpose, but couldn't picture it. That'll be why!

Member for

18 years 11 months

Thanks, really appreciate the response.

Member for

19 years

A compass such as this known as a "landing compass" is indeed used for compass swinginging. The A/C is set up on the oppropriate headings and then that checked by someone with a landing compass standing either infront or behind the A/C. This is done even if a compass rose is present, and im my experiance it usualy takes place in lousey weather, often snow storms!!!!!!!!