IMPORTANT!: Battle of Britain Veterans Need Your Help!

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years

Hello All,

This is a very important posting. As many of you will know by now, the new Battle of Britain London Memorial will be unveiled in September 2005, and there are some important functions for the remaining few veterans of the Battle of Britain being held in London.

Of the 14 survivng veterans living in New Zealand, 11 of them very much want to return to Britain to attend the unveiling and the commemorations, marking 65 years since the Battle of Britain.

They have a tour planned, and all the accommodation and events are taken care of, as well as transfers, etc. However, the group is struggling to find funding to actually get to the UK from New Zealand.

The Government of New Zealand, through it's Department of Veterans' Affairs, has said it can give each New Zealand born veteran a sum of NZ$2000 towards the cost of the journey. As they have decided due to their age (none is younger than 85) that they definately require the comfort and convenience of business class rather than economy for the long trip of up to 24 hours flying , this money does not go anywhere near towards covering their own tickets.

On top of this, they all feel they need either spouses or other caregivers to be with them for this trip, as none are confident of making such a journey and tour by themselves without some younger blood with them.

However Veterans Affairs has made no allocation for caregivers.

Another problem is, a couple of the men living here in New Zealand were British born, but now live in NZ. The NZ Govt won't pay anything to these men, saying it is Britain's responsibility. I'm told that Britain has also washed their hands of these men, stating they are not Britain's responsibility.

THESE ARE THE MEN WHO SAVED BRITAIN!!!!

THEY SAVED THE WORLD FROM TIRANNY!!!

And now no-one wants to help them with, what to any Govt Dept is petty cash, a little funding. I feel this is an utter disgrace, when you see the millions of dollars wasted by Governments every month.

These 11 men and their spouses/caregivers need our help. I have no money to give, but I am trying to help by spreading the word and making people aware of the tour and the situation these heroes are in.

The tour organiser, veteran Alan Gawith, is a very nice chap, and I really want to help him and his comrades. They are not corporate go-getter types, they are old men, and thus they don't really know really where to seek sponsorship or support. I am attempting to help them with this, but I appeal to you all for your support, sponsorship, ideas, suggestions...

Do you work for an airline or a company that might be able to help in some way?

Are you in a club or organisation that could help with raising funds or awareness?
ie - something like the...
Air Training Corp? Boy Scouts? Guides?
Royal Aeronautical Society?
Battle of Britain Historical Sociaty?
Royal New Zealand Air Force Association?
Royal New Zealand Returned Services Association?
An Aeroclub? A Historical Society?
Brevet Club? Kings Empire Veterans? British Legion?

If so, can you let your members know about this and try to get some fundraising going?

I am creating a page on my website for this group and am currently awaiting information from Alan so that it can be put online. Once it is up I shall post here again (probably within the next week or so)

I don't think we should stand by and let these men, these extremely brave men, miss this vital opportunity. Think what they did for us - now it's our turn to do something for them.

CAN YOU HELP? IF SO, CONTACT ME!

Original post