John Romain - BBC Look East

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years

Following on from the 'Sally B' item on the main BBC News at lunch time, I just caught the end of an item on the Look East News about John Romain and his organisation receiving two awards. As I said I just caught the end where he was being interviewed against his Spitfire. Will have to watch tonight and get the details.

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

Awards

One of them was 'The Jeffrey Quill' award and I think the other was linked to training youngsters, apprenticeships etc.

Mark

Member for

19 years 9 months

think he'd train me?

Member for

20 years 6 months

Only one way to find out Stewart ...

Member for

19 years 9 months

when i get back from work i shall send ARCo an email.

Member for

20 years 7 months

Do let us know how you get on.

Member for

20 years

Who is he??

Member for

20 years 9 months

Who is he??

Who? John Romain?

Head of Aircraft Restoration Co at Duxford, partnered with Historic Flying who make all those lovely Spitfires!

He was also instrumental in the building and flying of the two Blenheims. I believe he started as engineer and through his love of warbirds and technical knowledge started Propshop Ltd (Trading name of ARCo).

I'm sure someone out there knows a lot more than me.

He is a key member of the warbird restoration community and a bl**dy good pilot too! It's always god to see him whacking up and down DX in RN201 :D

EDIT:
See here for a small bio on John at the ARCo website -
http://www.arc-duxford.co.uk/p1.htm

Member for

19 years

John Romain taken at ARC/HFL open day last year. Who? John Romain?????

Attachments

Member for

20 years 6 months

A talented and lucky chap.Actually i would guess he is one of the youngest pilots flying there now,all the others seem "quite senior".

Member for

21 years

I'm not sure luck has much to do with it. Hard work and dedication yes. Luck, no.

Member for

19 years

John Romain with Karel Bos - owner of Historic Flying limited and the green two seater Spitfire 161.

Attachments

Member for

20 years 6 months

I'm not sure luck has much to do with it. Hard work and dedication yes. Luck, no.

I meant lucky as in i'm jealous,athough theres always a stoke of luck in anything that goes well.Being in the right place at the right time,making the right choice at the crossroads when a decision could've gone either way.

Member for

19 years

Thanks Mk12

Brian

Member for

20 years

Oh, that John Romain. I thought I'd heard the name but couldn't recall exactly. Thanks. I'm not constantly at Duxford like many people on this forum.

Member for

18 years 10 months

John Romain taken at ARC/HFL open day last year. Who? John Romain?????

He must be stood on a box in that pic.... I think it was Hoof who named him "Shetland Pilot" :D

Member for

19 years

He must be stood on a box in that pic.... I think it was Hoof who named him "Shetland Pilot"

Chair actually.

Member for

20 years

He must be stood on a box in that pic.... I think it was Hoof who named him "Shetland Pilot" :D

OOps

Member for

20 years 6 months

Some luck, but a lot of hard work. John started out as a boy enthusiast - yes, in the same arena as Steward1a. So it's perfectly posible for Stewart (or anyone else his age) to get there - but before you think it's a done deal, tick off the list below...

Having met and interviewed a lot of pilot/restorers etc, the main factors in common would be:
1. Work very hard, with periods of not enough money 24/7, often 365 days a year, for years
2. Sacrifice many of the other things that make life worthwhile
3. Don't take 'no' for an answer
4. Don't take 'no' for an answer
5. Still don't take 'no' for an answer
6. Make 'No' into 'yes'.
7. Face going bust and keep going.
8. Put up with the knockers and wingers and smark alecs telling you what you are doing is pointless.
9. Go bust, but start again
10. Put up with people asking stupid questions or expecting really stupid answers

And there's usually an-anti bonus: :( See close friends die*

If you want to fly a Spitfire, you can. It is just a lot of hard work, sacrafice and dedication; about 1,000 times more than most of us would bother with. Luck plays it's part, but most people who are sucessful make their own luck, IMHO. Most of us just don't want to fly a Spitfire that much after all.

So Stewart - it doesn't matter if ARCo say yes or no, it depends on how much you realy are prepared to do. Oh, and stop wasting so much time here and put in some study on maths (most important) and aeronautics! :D

There's another route - it involves starting with a big fortune and making it into a smaller one. And if you think that's easier, the friend/death ratio seems to be higher there. :(

On a lighter note, John may not be tall, but he can fit in more aircraft than most of us and take high 'g' better. As well as being a very good pilot, engineer and manager. I'm not envious...

just some thoughts!

*Sorry if that's a bit grim, but there's a memorial bench outside 'Blenheim Palace' at DX listing the Blenheim team members no longer with us. Old age and accidents take a toll.

Member for

24 years 2 months

As JDK said, John Romain started out as a boy enthusiast at about 15 or 16, on the first Blenheim.

See, all it takes is 25 years of total dedication.

Member for

20 years 5 months

I think he was abit younger & started out at DX restoring IIRC vehicles before joining OH-B. He also designed & built probably the most economical car ever which did over 1000 miles on a single gallon of petrol.