Moggy

Member for

24 years 3 months

Erich Hartman

BW Roger

Member for

19 years 4 months

My vote go's to Erich Hartman.

Not only because of the sheer numbers he shot down, but of his age and the type aircraft he shot down, i.e. the Stormovik. Not the easiest aircraft in the world to shoot down.

Well that my tupence worth, over to you guys.

Dave

Member for

20 years 3 months

Greatest [Irish] Ace (served in the RAF during WWII) - Paddy Finucane.

Member for

24 years 3 months

"Pat" Pattle.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Greatest Irish Ace (served in the RAF during WWII) - Paddy Finucane.

Just out of interest, who was the second greatest Irish ace? :confused: ;)

Moggy

Member for

19 years 4 months

Erich Hartmann...no contest in my eyes...

And if ground kills would count..then Hans Ulrich Rudel.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Where's Johnny Johnson in this list ?

Ah found him, though not with the British Aces

Member for

20 years 6 months

Oswald Boelcke.

Member for

21 years

An impossible decision really, with the differences between the First World War and the Second World War and everything since then, but......

Heinz Bar.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Johnny Baldwin.

Member for

19 years 8 months

Me......;) :D Or Erich Hartmann!

T J

Member for

20 years 1 month

Top fighter ace !

Well going by sheer numbers...hartman (352) but on the American list no **** Bong, Thomas J McGuire, George Preddy Jr. There is no end to this debate among air historians. Hartman's numbers are so mind boggling!!!! This topic is always good for a great discussion.

BlueNoser352!

Member for

20 years 5 months

Hartmann, no contest....352 kills if I recall correctly...

M

Member for

24 years 3 months

He might not be the best, but credit has to go to Francis Gabreski (28 kills WWII, 6.5 in Korea) for mastering combat during WWII and the jet age over Korea.

Member for

19 years 1 month

there doesnt seem to be any pacific based aces no ira kepford,bong or others not even any japanese aces or aussie's like clive caldwell or sakai

Who was the greatest?

You decide

www.fighteracesonline.com

I hate to say but a very limited site? For example in the American section no Navy or Marine Aces were even listed? (i.e. Mc Campbell, Boyington, Hansen, Kepford, etc.) I am a big Corsair fan and had the pleasure to meet Pappy Boyington many years ago.

Member for

20 years 1 month

No Kiwi aces either - NZ had more aces per capita than any other nation (according to the NZ Fighter Pilots Museum)

When the museum opened I was there, and I was very pleased to meet several aces and pilots including the late Colin Grey (NZ's top ace), and the late Des Scott. Both were really nice chaps. Colin told me about after being taken off ops he was trained as a special agent and dropped behind enemy lines - something not many people know! From memory it's not even in his autobiography, though maybe it is, I can't remember. He told me this because I was a parachute packer then, which brought us to the subject. He said as a fighter pilot he'd tried and succeeded having to use his parachute and then found himself being trained to use of to deliberately jump from a plane.

I personally rate Colin as my top ace - top scoring Kiwi, top bloke and who else was an ace and a spy???

Member for

18 years 11 months

Good grief...No Pattle or 'Sailor' Malan?

Member for

20 years

Be fair to Alvin. He did start a thread a while back about his website and that it is a work in progress...