In flight failure of SNJ

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 9 months

After the fatal crash of an American operated T-6, the owner grounded their fleet and sent the followinf warning message.

http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archives/avflash/399-full.html#189772

Original post

Member for

19 years 3 months

in-flight airframe failure??? The T-6 has one of the most rugged and resistent structures around, I honestly doubt so, unless improper handling has been applied during restoration and/or overhaul...

Cheers

Alex

Member for

19 years 2 months

Does anyone know which of the four aircraft it was? I seem to remember a hangar collapse on a couple of their aircraft during a hurricane.

Member for

19 years 9 months

We can c heck on WIX in order to identify the aircraft.

Member for

19 years

Best not to coment to much untill the facts are known!!

Member for

19 years 9 months

"N453WA Serial Number 121-42823 Type Registration Corporation" as per WIX info

Member for

19 years 3 months

I know Blue Max, but the T-6 is not a paper plane, believe me.. A structural failure is pretty disconcerning..

Alex

Member for

19 years

A structural failure is very disconcerning! but wild speculation will not help the cause. then powers at be are bad enough at over reacting and the last thing we need is all the A/C Grounding untill they investigate the incident. At the end of the day all our thoughts would be better placed towards the families and freinds of those involved.

Member for

19 years 3 months

I'm sorry if I ignited some "wild speculation", wasnt really my intention...
U sound a lil bit too anxious TBM, these accident are (unfortunately) not so infrequent, and sadly in most of the cases it's human factor, expecially with a machine that doesnt allow many "tricks"..

Alex

Member for

19 years

At the end of the day you are speculating on an accident that has only just happened an as yet we do not know the full facts! it may well be that the A/C in question has been in the past abused in someway, but i just feel it is better to wait for the facts before making coments. Anxious no, concerned yes!

Member for

19 years 3 months

once again I'm sorry, but I didnt mean to do it and sincerely I dont see where I did speculate over it.. I just expressed my opinion about it, and believe me, I'm the last one who would be interested in speculate over it, let's wait for the FAA full report then..

Alex

Member for

18 years 11 months

I was planning to end my holiday to California with a SNJ-6 flight at Carlsbad just north of San Diego.

Now I'm not sure, and if the wife gets wind of this then I've no chance!

Member for

19 years

Go for it, its a loverly machine and you'l enjoy it

Member for

19 years 3 months

I was planning to end my holiday to California with a SNJ-6 flight at Carlsbad just north of San Diego.

go for it, dont even think about giving up!

Alex

Member for

18 years 11 months

Thanx for the encouragement guys....... :D

Hoping to get some hands on during the flight, and some aerobatics.. :cool:

My previous flying experiance.....errr....not much.
Just a 1 hour trial in a Piper Warrior, and 40 mins trying to control a Robinson R22. (managed a hover)

If the aerobatics are as much fun as I know they will be, might well have to get a loan and go for a PPL. Its something I've wanted to do for years.

Member for

19 years 1 month

Go for it!

I also flew from Carlsbad whilst on holiday in 2003 and I assume it was the same outfit you are planning to visit. The aircraft was a SNJ-4 in US Navy 3-tone colour scheme - (or should that be 'color'!) - and was complete with tail-hook! Spent half an hour doing mild aeros over the Pacific!

If you can convince the wife to join you, why not also take a trip in one of their TravelAir 4000 biplanes? These are three-seaters with the passengers sitting side-by-side in front with the pilot behind. They had two of these when I was there - one built in 1927 and the other in 1929. Both have been re-engined with quite a bit more power so are quite lively. Just the thing for some lazy-8s over the Pacific in the Californian sunshine.

Enjoy! :)

Member for

18 years 11 months

Go for it!

I also flew from Carlsbad whilst on holiday in 2003 and I assume it was the same outfit you are planning to visit. The aircraft was a SNJ-4 in US Navy 3-tone colour scheme - (or should that be 'color'!) - and was complete with tail-hook! Spent half an hour doing mild aeros over the Pacific!

If you can convince the wife to join you, why not also take a trip in one of their TravelAir 4000 biplanes? These are three-seaters with the passengers sitting side-by-side in front with the pilot behind. They had two of these when I was there - one built in 1927 and the other in 1929. Both have been re-engined with quite a bit more power so are quite lively. Just the thing for some lazy-8s over the Pacific in the Californian sunshine.

Enjoy! :)

Well I did the flight.....outstandsing!
Did some loops rolls etc etc, and also got some 'stick time' too.. :D

Major bonus was the wings stayed on throughout... :eek: