Operation 'Chastise' - 62 Years on

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

For the first time in several years, due to work requirements, I will not be in a position to publicly marke the Anniversary of Operation 'Chastise', aks The Dam Busters Raid, on 16/17 May. So I will take the opportunity to do it now.

Heres to the memory of the 133 young men who set out on that historic adventure on the night of 16 May 1943, and to the 53 who gave their lives that night. And to those surviviors of the raid that gave their lives on other subsequent operations.

'They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn
at the going down of the sun, and in the morning,
We will remember them.'

I've made sure that I can do my bit to remember the Dams Raid and it's crews, I've got my DVD and a book or two with me!

Regards all,

Keith

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

On 16th May 1943 at 1800 hours (6pm), all crew members assembled for the final briefing. It was presented by Gibson, Wallis and Cochrane.
Gibson outlined the general plan of attack before the crews were briefed in detail about routes, call signs, codewords, weather conditions and ammunition loads. (For many of the crews this was the first time Gibson had spoken to them).
Wallis then explained the basic principles and development of the weapon and what he expected it to do. He outlined the characteristics of the dams and explained the effect on Hitler's industry if they were breached.
Finally Cochrane closed the briefing wishing the crews good luck.

More

Member for

24 years 2 months

62 years ago at 21:35 just starting their climb out to form up,

Member for

20 years 5 months

62 years ago at 21:35 just starting their climb out to form up,

Sadly, for some, it would be the last time they would form up.

God bless all who served and died with RAF Bomber command.

Member for

19 years 8 months

Sadly, for some, it would be the last time they would form up.

God bless all who served and died with RAF Bomber command.

AMEN. and thanks to those that waited at home for their loved ones to return, their fight was harder in some respects.
Greg

Member for

20 years

Keith.....yes we will remember !

Keith:

Good to see you and your post as always on this & avi8 board, I knew you would be fateful to the men of 617 and post a reminder for all of us . Hope all is well and you can see the many photo's I have posted in the last few days.Got a scanner and wanted to share some of the many photos I have collected over the years on the 352nd. Will get out my copy of The DanBusters and watch it in your honor and of course for the young men lost on this mission. Take care and hope to see you at Duxford again soon !

All The Best !
Tom Colones ( BlueNoser352!)