A tale of long distance preservation

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

About a year ago, David Burke asked me what I knew about Deception Island. Back in the eighties, a picture of a DHC3 Otter had appeared in Flypast, so I knew straight away what he was referring to. Well, said David, its still there, still belongs to the British Antarctic Survey, and at some point, they have to clear the island. What did I think the chances were of the museum offerring a home for it??

We hatched a plan - David came up with a proposal, which I agreed, and we sent to the museum chairman, Philip Birtles. Philip set up a meeting with BAS, and in principle, they agreed to our proposal. They would aim to travel to Deception some time in 2004, and collect the aircraft, and bring it back to the UK. By coincidence, Philips son in law was working in the antarctic at the same time, with BAS, so he was able to advise us as to how to proceed.

Not long after, we got wind that some Americans were planning a raid on Deception, with the intention of removing the Otter, and eventually restoring it to fly. Naturally as BAS still owned the aircraft, they were keen to hang on to it, and so mounted their own recovery expedition, and successfully transferred the Otter to another of their bases. From their initial report, we understood that the Otter had deteriorated a fair bit, and was unlikely to be a suitable candidate for restoration to flight status in any case.

The Otter docked at Grimsby yesterday, and will be delivered to the museum tonight. I reckon this is one of the longest distance preservation missions ever mounted in the UK, certainly by a volunteer led organisation. The aircraft will remain the property of the BAS, and will be on loan to the museum for the foreseeable future.

If anyone knows of any parts that could be made available for this interesting project, then I would love to hear from you. We particularly need Engine cowls, a propeller, a fin and wheels to get us started. I will update this thread at the weekend to show the Otter at the museum.

Further information here:

http://www.antarctica.ac.uk/Living_and_Working/Diaries/RRS_Ernest_Shackleton/antarctic2003_2004/27/

Following photos nicked from the BAS site!

Attachments
Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

Good work, well done to all. Do I take it that the Americans were planning to recover the aircraft without BAS's permission? Surely that would be theft.
How many Otters are left in the world? Is this the only one in the UK?

Stuart

Member for

24 years 3 months

Stuart,

Yes, problem is that it had been there for a long time, and could I suppose have been claimed as salvage. Difficult part of the law. To avoid any such issues, BAS recovered it quickly!

There are plenty of Otters still operating, mostly converted to Turbine Otter status. This will be the only one in the UK, and despite its British ownership, it is the first time it has been in the UK!

Bruce

Member for

24 years 3 months

Thanks Bruce, nice to see that BAS were so keen to preserve the aircraft and acted quickly to save it at the expense of their own time and money.

Stuart

Member for

20 years 1 month

Many congrats!

Member for

24 years 3 months

We particularly need Engine cowls, a propeller, a fin and wheels to get us started.

But it was fitted with Floats (of which 2 were recovered!)

Member for

24 years 3 months

No, skis actually, and they are attached to the wheels! (The skis do come with it!)

You ever tried moving a ski equipped aircraft around on concrete??

Bruce

Member for

24 years 3 months

You need a more powerful tractor Bruce......

Quite an amazing recovery operation, must try to get to the museum soon, not been in 15 years or so.

Member for

24 years 3 months

"You ever tried moving a ski equipped aircraft around on concrete??"

Actually no.. But I can see the point!!!!!!! However, you could get them to recover that Massey-Ferguson Tractor as well - That would help with the moving round!

Member for

24 years 3 months

They did recover the tractor I believe, but it is not coming to us. I have enough trouble with the aircraft let alone tractors!

Bruce

Member for

24 years 3 months

Stuart - The remains on Deception Island are covered by a treaty which was agreed by the main interested parties in Antarctica. This covers buildings and other artifacts which survive in the region. The items are listed at the sites in question and in the case of Deception it applies to relics which date prior to 1970. There are amendments made to the treaty at various times due to
items having been salvaged for museum display in the region or the destruction of a building because it's unsafe. There is a very large operation underway to remove tons of debris that has accumulated at various bases
and return it to the countries concerned for safe disposal.
As for aircraft I believe at last count there are 156 aircraft and helicopters wrecked in Antarctica. Being involved in this recovery I must make special mention of Linda Capper at BAS Cambridge and the crew who
undertook the recovery with a great degree of ingenuity and care.

Member for

24 years 3 months

My mums neighbour was out there a few decades ago. i recall seeing a photo of that aircraft at the time. Early seventies?

Hmm, must see if he still has it. A slide or two if I recall correctly...

Member for

24 years 3 months

Well done to all concerned, great effort!

I suppose now that it's in a warmer climate than before, you could say you have a slightly 'otter Otter...

I'll get me coat...

Member for

24 years 3 months

Mum: "Mark mentioned that he thinks you have a picture of a red aircraft in the Antarctic that he saw when he was a boy. This has just been rescued and he knows someone who might like to see it" (I was 7 - this was 25 years ago!)

Mrs Neighbour: "Mark seems to think you have a picture of a red aircraft in the Antarctic that he saw when he was a boy"

Mr Neighbour: "Have I? Don't remember one. Lets have a look."

Mr Neighbour: "Bloody Hell, I have! He must have an incredible memory - I didn't even know I had that!"

Mum: "They found it. Be with you tomorrow lunchtime. Can you sort out my anti-virus please?"

So, lets see if what I remembered was worth remembering.....

Member for

24 years 3 months

Kodachrome developed Feb 1943.

Attachments

Member for

24 years 3 months

Good stuff Mark - its been well souvenired since then as you can see from the pics at the top! The lads at the museum tell me it is more vandalised than anything, but otherwise in remarkable condition!

Cheers for now

Bruce

Member for

24 years 3 months

Looks like it was used as a waiting room for people queing for the bog! :D
Bit cold for an outhouse isn't it? :eek:

Stuart

Member for

21 years 1 month

interesting story.. all credit to everyone invovled.. Bruce will it be 'on show' whilst being restored??
Neil

Member for

24 years 3 months

Kodachrome developed Feb 1943.

Seems unlikely. 1973?

Member for

24 years 3 months

Um, yes. Haha. Not unlikely though - Kodachrome has been around since the 1930's. Otters, of course, have not. Well, Otters have, but not these otters. Oh bugger.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Full marks Snapper for finding that one! Certainly the Otter has been picked over - indeed the exhaust augmentors only disappeared in the late 1980's ! However the posibility exists that people who 'borrowed' parts from her over the years might feel like returning their parts to their rightful home!
Without wishing to speak for Bruce - I believe that as far as practicable the Otter will be on display during her restoration process. Indeed the museum doesn't have an 'Area 51' for want of a better word ! So please visit - your money makes results.