Any Luftwaffe experts out there.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 5 months

I've inherited some interesting material from my late father, I've previously mentioned his war diaries but haven't been in the right frame of mind to study them yet.
These photographs he found scattered about in a town in Germany during 1945, most of them appear to be taken by someone in the Whermacht during the occupation of Dunkirk, however these seem to be of Luftwaffe origin. Now I haven't attempted to publish photo's before so anything could happen, this pictures have never been seen publicly before.

Original post

Member for

19 years 5 months

Oh dear, I uploaded the scanned pictures but they haven't appeared, what do I do next?

Member for

20 years 7 months

There's no blank box appearing in the post saying your pics are missing, so you were not sucessful in uploading them. Try another post, hit the 'manage attachments' button and watch out for the line of text you missed last time! ;) Without details, I'd guess you've not saved them at a low enough res for the website to accept them; they need to be 100kb or less.

Good luck

Member for

19 years 5 months

Help, it doesn't want to know, anymore advice, I'll go and cut the grass and come back later.

Member for

19 years 5 months

Luftwaffe pictures

Have cut the grass, watched some snooker, seen that Norwich have won again, and now my dear beloved has come back from shopping and helped me out, hopefully this should work.

Member for

19 years 6 months

Wow! What an interesting find! Thanks for sharing. Any more?

And what a fantastic sand sculpture!

Member for

19 years 5 months

Sorry, still haven't got the hang of this, the Germanic script is off the back of the photo's, not all are labelled however, the spitfire should be identified by someone, probably near Dunkirk, the group photo looks to have been taken at Derby loco works, wishfull thinking, and is on a postcard format, have got more where these came from only they tend to be army.

Member for

21 years

WOW indeed...... :eek:

Molders, now that is a discovery, especially judging by the sheepskin jacket indicating colder temps, and that looks like one of the 3x109F-0's that JG-51 were first issued with in October of 1940, so, that could be quite an historic picture...............:eek:

Member for

19 years 5 months

Some more pictures, presumably Luftwaffe personel

Member for

19 years 5 months

And more.

Attachments

Member for

20 years 1 month

Amazing finds Pete! I'm glad you want to share them here.

Thank you,

Stieglitz

Member for

24 years 3 months

64 Sqn Spitfires lost during the Dunkirk period

29 May

S/Ldr E G Rogers L1052 KIA
P/O R T George K9832 KIA
P/O H B Hackney ? KIA

31 May

F/Sgt G H Hatch K9813 POW but died later, buried in Belgium

1 June
P/O T C Hey ? KIA

Post Dunkirk

5 July

P/O D K Milne P9507 KIA Shot down near Rouen by ME 109 of JG51

Member for

19 years 5 months

Is it not possible to identify this one by the squadron letters, cockpit looks a bit of a mess.The tracked vehicle looks like a Bren to me, presumably captured at Dunkirk, I wonder what happened to these blokes.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Is it not possible to identify this one by the squadron letters, cockpit looks a bit of a mess.

Not from FCL's some entries have Squadron codes against the particular aircraft serial, unfortunately the 64 Sqn entries don't.

Judging by the reasonably intact state of the aircraft it may be possible that the pilot survived, which would point toward Flt/Sgt Hatch. But this is only a theory.

Using a magnifying glass is it possible to see any serial numbers or letter ?

Member for

19 years 5 months

Sorry, these pictures are minute, only about 50 x 75mm, I'm surprised that they scanned so well, you see more on the scanned picture.

Member for

24 years 3 months

IMHO, the Spitfire appears to have suffered significant vertical deceleration forces, indicative of a low/zero airspeed, high rate of descent. I wonder, did the pilot escape?

Seafuryfan
DIY AHB

Member for

20 years 1 month

Is there any chance that the "monument" in the sand dunes in picture 5 still exists? Does anyone know what that biplane commemorates?
Excellent job of scanning, Pete, I guess you used at least 600 dpi. I go up to 1200 for really small negatives myself (another Pete).

Member for

20 years 8 months

64 Sqn Spitfires lost during the Dunkirk period

29 May

S/Ldr E G Rogers L1052 KIA
P/O R T George K9832 KIA
P/O H B Hackney ? KIA

31 May

F/Sgt G H Hatch K9813 POW but died later, buried in Belgium

1 June
P/O T C Hey ? KIA

Post Dunkirk

5 July

P/O D K Milne P9507 KIA Shot down near Rouen by ME 109 of JG51

With all due respect, that Spit wears a fuselage band, so that would date the photos later than the Dunkirk period, would it not?

Member for

24 years 3 months

With all due respect, that Spit wears a fuselage band, so that would date the photos later than the Dunkirk period, would it not?

Never thought of that Daz, now trying to find any other 64 Sqn SPits lost over France later in 1940 until late 1941 when they relinquished their MkII's

Member for

19 years 5 months

The date on the Dornier picture is 20th September 1940, would that be relevant, also the reference to the Molders picture being October 1940.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Well scanning through FCL I can find these that would appear relevant, there are a number of others but they were either shot down during the BoB, or over the Channel :-

23 February 1941

P/O Hawkins P7778 MIA
P/O J G Pippet P7852 Thought to have collided during a convoy patrol

13 March 1941
Sqd/Ldr A Macdonell DFC P7555 POW Bailed out after combat with ME109's near Calais

9 April 1941
P/O J H Rowden P7784 - Crashed on French coast after attack by Me109 of II/JG51, buried at Dunkirk. Could this one be this aircraft ?