Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Egyptian Air Force Museum

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alex Crawford
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Oct 2004

Egyptian Air Force Museum

Hi,

Does anyone have contact details for the Egytpian Air Force Museum, if there is such a thing? Or any other aircraft museum in Egypt. I tried the 'net but not had much luck

I'm trying to find out more about the Lancasters used by Egypt during the later 40's early 50's.

Apart from their RAF identities I don't have much else about these aircraft except that most were destroyed during the Suez Crisis by Fleet Air Arm aircraft.

Alex
    If you don't ask, you'll never know.

https://www.facebook.com/aviationauthor
  • ALBERT ROSS
    A man of experience!
    • Jan 2004

I think the only known preserved aircraft are at War Museum at the Citadel in the centre of Cairo.
    There are a PZL Wilga, Zlin Tener Master, MiG 15 and MiG 21 preserved there. Maybe you'll find some information there?
    Adrian

Comment

• Mark12
      MEANS MOTIVE OPPORTUNITY
      • Jan 2000

Originally posted by ALBERT ROSS
      I think the only known preserved aircraft are at War Museum at the Citadel in the centre of Cairo.
      There are a PZL Wilga, Zlin Tener Master, MiG 15 and MiG 21 preserved there. Maybe you'll find some information there?
      Here are the Migs 17 and 21 and the Sukhoi Su-7(edit: actually an SU-20) in January 2001.

The remains of Spitfire BR491 are on display at the El Alamein Museum

Mark

Last edited by Mark12; 22nd April 2005, 08:50. Reason: Type correction
      "...the story had been forensically examined and was deeply impressive. I knew that the whole story was a load of myth and baloney"

Comment

• FlyingKiwi
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • Oct 2004

I haven't had time to put together a full report, but there are a few photos on my aircraft museum page.

As far as I know, Albert's right that the main museum is at the Citadel near central Cairo. The photos Mark posted aren't at the Citadel, perhaps these aircraft are elsewhere or were moved to the Citadel at some point in time. The paint schemes of Mark's examples are also different than the ones I saw.

When I visited in December of 2004 the security people were absurdly touchy about letting me take camera gear in with me to what is mainly a tourist site with various mosques and so on (admittedly I had a whole bag of bodies and lenses with me). After protesting I was allowed to take most of it in, but had to leave the 100-400mm lens at the front desk.

There were certainly no Lancasters around, and the historic displays inside consisted of dioramas and bits of shot down Israeli aircraft, together with a large panel saying what a brilliant fellow some Egyptian Air Force serviceman called Hosni Mubarak was, whoever he might be!

Richard.
        Richard Seaman's aviation website

Comment

• J Boyle
          With malice towards none
          • Oct 2004

I spent a memorable month at Cairo West airfield...a remote and well guarded military base home (at thet time...1998) of the EAF's Phantom and Hawkeye force. At the main gate was a SU. A Beagle was in front of an airport building and the remains of at least one Phantom were perched atop some oil drums. As you might guess, photos weren't allowed.

No sign of a Lancaster

The trip wasn't a total loss...roaming around the region in a C-141 was fun...as was a well guarded (by the Egyptian Secret Service) motorcade downtown.
          There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

Comment

• Mark12
            MEANS MOTIVE OPPORTUNITY
            • Jan 2000

Ah yes. I have just had a little peek at Bob Ogden's 'Aircraft Museums and Collections of the World - Vol 11 : Africa and Australia'.

Bob lists two Museum in Cairo at the Citadel and Sh' A-Nasr addresses. My photos are from the latter, located 10 Km north east of the city centre on the airport road.

That Sukhoi of mine is actually an Su-20 it would seem.

The El Alamein Museum is not listed but the book was written before the installation of the Spitfire.

Mark
            "...the story had been forensically examined and was deeply impressive. I knew that the whole story was a load of myth and baloney"

Comment

• HP57
              • Jan 2000

I do know that the Egyptians operated some Halifaxes until the fifties. Never knew they used Lancs, but then again I never bothered to check the latter :diablo:

Cheers

Cees

Comment

• Nermal
                • Aug 2003

Originally posted by J Boyle
                A Beagle was in front of an airport building
                Sorry, but what type of Beagle: unless it really was a dog its a bit like saying so-and-so airfield has a Hawker out the front, without realising all the types made by that manufacturer. I am willing to bet it wasn't a Basset... - Nermal

Comment

• Mark12
                  MEANS MOTIVE OPPORTUNITY
                  • Jan 2000

Not 'Rover' again.

Mark

Comment

• SteveYoung
                    • Jan 2000

Originally posted by Nermal
                    Sorry, but what type of Beagle: unless it really was a dog its a bit like saying so-and-so airfield has a Hawker out the front, without realising all the types made by that manufacturer. I am willing to bet it wasn't a Basset... - Nermal
                    I would imagine an Ilyushin Il-28 Beagle.

Comment

• JDK
                      JDK
                      Mr Tweed
                      • Sep 2003

looks like we are safe from Rover for a while. And MG.

I'll get my coat. Rather like another batch of workers.
                      James K

Looking and thinking...
                      Vintage Aero Writer: Blog & Details

Comment

• J Boyle
                        With malice towards none
                        • Oct 2004

[QUOTE=Nermal]Sorry, but what type of Beagle: ]

So sorry, an Il-28 Beagle.
                        I momentarily forgot about the UK Beagle.
                        However, I do own two Bassets...of the four legged variety.
                        There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

Comment

• jeepman
                          infrequent poster now
                          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Mark12
                          Not 'Rover' again.

Mark
                          shouldn't it be "over" not "Rover"?
                          JM

Comment

• Alex Crawford
                            Rank 5 Registered User
                            • Oct 2004

Originally posted by HP57
                            I do know that the Egyptians operated some Halifaxes until the fifties. Never knew they used Lancs, but then again I never bothered to check the latter :diablo:

Cheers

Cees
                            They also used the Stirling as well. I have details of the Stirling and Halifax in Egyptian service but very little on the Lanc.

Alex
                            If you don't ask, you'll never know.

https://www.facebook.com/aviationauthor

Comment

• Kuno
                              Rank 5 Registered User
                              • Dec 2014

Originally posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
                              The photos Mark posted aren't at the Citadel, perhaps these aircraft are elsewhere or were moved to the Citadel at some point in time. The paint schemes of Mark's examples are also different than the ones I saw.
                              Correct.
                              These photos were taken at the "Panorama 6. October" right outside the airport.
                              The aircraft there were not removed from the display at the citadel but are other ones.

Comment

• l.garey
                                Rank 5 Registered User
                                • Feb 2006

Kuno: I sent you a personal message.
                                Laurence

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                X