First B-29 in Europe

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 5 months

When did the first B-29 come to Europe?

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

I think one landed at Burtonwood in 1943/44.

Member for

20 years 7 months

March '44, one was deployed to the U.K. on a allied 'familiarization tour', actually a decoy to get the enemy to think that the B-29's were going to be used in Europe

Martin

Member for

19 years 4 months

Flat 12x2's date of March '44 rings a bell with me. It definitely landed at Knettishall and one other operational base before returning to the ZOI. I think the other base was Glatton.

Regards

Graham

Member for

20 years 5 months

I came up with November 1946, when six were deployed to Rhein/Main.
And didn't Eisenhower use one as staff plane?

Member for

19 years 4 months

Distiller,

Somewhere I have a photo of the 1944 "tour" when it landed at Knettishall - I'll try and dig it out...

Has this question not been asked before on here?

Graham

Member for

19 years 4 months

In Roger Freeman's excleenet Mighty Eighth War Manual on Page 205 is pictured B-29 41-36963 at Glatton on 11 March 1944

Returned to ZOI on 10 May 1944

Sorry, scanner isn't working at the mo... :o

Regards

Graham

Member for

19 years 5 months

Since someone brought it up...did the Germans fall for the ruse about the possibility of using B-29s in Europe?

Member for

24 years 3 months

I wonder how much more deverstating the bombing would have been had they been used in Europe, from what I can gather their bomb load was 12,000lb's more than the B17 and B24.

Member for

20 years 8 months

Since someone brought it up...did the Germans fall for the ruse about the possibility of using B-29s in Europe?

Think TA152 and BV155 and I think you have your answer.

The First B29 to reach England was in fact one of the 14 YB29’s and it flew to England, partly as an eleventh hour test of a long range over water flight, and partly to fool the Japanese rather than the Germans. The Germans were already thinking B29 but the Japanese were wondering where the B29 would be deployed, and were aware of the long runways in and around Calcutta. So an elaborate plan was hatched with leaks to give the impression that the B29 had not measured up and would be used as an armed transport for Hump flights. The YB29 reached India on the 6th of April after spending 2 weeks in England.

Member for

19 years 8 months

First B-29 in Europe

This aircraft certainly visited here (Horsham St Faith), we have photographs of it in our archieve.

Think that some of these photographs were in the Mighty Eighth by Roger Freeman and Fields of Little America by Martin Bowman.

Always understood that the B-29 only visited USAAF 8th bases at Horsham St Faith and Glatton. Interestingly the B-29 was in standard 8th colour scheme of olive drab.

City of Norwich Aviation Museum
Horsham St Faith

Member for

19 years 8 months

Checked which B-29 visited Horsham St Faith last night.

41-36963 was here in March 1944, the picture we have is also in George Reynolds book on the 458th Bomb Group which was based at Horsham at that time.

The USAAF plan was to convert nine B-24 equiped groups to B-29 between June-Sept 1945. These groups would have all been 2nd Air Division units, all based in Norfolk and Suffolk. A training squadron was planned to be based at Boscombe Down. No doubt the runways of the choosen airfields would have need to be longer than for B-24 operations. In February 1945 the plans for UK based B-29 were cancelled.

Interestingly, at the time the B-29 was at Horsham St Faith, 1426 (Enemy Aircraft Flight) from Collyweston sent a Ju88, a He111 and a Do217 to Horsham for inspection by 2nd Air Division personell. All part of a deception or an evaluation on how the B-29 might perform in Europe?

City of Norwich Aviation Museum

Member for

20 years 11 months

Am gagging for pics....don't hold out on me!! :p

Member for

19 years 5 months

Interestingly the B-29 was in standard 8th colour scheme of olive drab.

Many of the early B-29s (including the prototypes) were painted.
It wasn't just for the plane(s) that visited the UK.

Member for

19 years 3 months

B-29 at Glatton on 11 March 1944, from Key Publishing's Air Enthusiast magazine, Issue #59:

Member for

19 years

In the unlikely event of English airfields being threatened with serious air attack or even invasion, there was a fallback plan to base 800 B-29s in Northern Ireland, plus B-32s later. The plan was not abandoned until May 1944 and a project to extend many runways to the necessary 9,000 feet was shelved. I have also found in an obscure PRO (sorry, Natl Archives!) file, a reference to a plan to build the B-29 in Britain. There are no details and I have never read anything to substantiate this.