Flight of the Phoenix (new version)

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 4 months

FINALLY got my hands on a copy of 'Flight of the Phoenix' tonight and was fairly impressed....they did'nt try to stay word for word with the original movie and instead took the film in some new directions which made it fresh and interesting....the flying sequences of the C-119 were very good and I was amazed with the overhead shots of the plane how similar in basic shape it is to a P-61 Black Widow....I would ask anyone who knows what kind of engine they used on the plane (looked and sounded to me like a 3350), but overall I think anyone who saw this flick would think it was worthwhile....the 'Phoenix Diaries' extra on the DVD about the making of this movie was interesting, I don't think I would want to work for this director as he goes on incredible rants and yelling sprees and definitely has a favorite 4 letter word that starts with 'F' that he uses quite excessively...but despite this it looks to me like a lot of the rest of the crew had a good time making this movie....

Mark

Original post

Member for

20 years 2 months

Bet it cost a Packet to make!! :D

Member for

24 years 2 months

Also when the aircraft first impacts with the ground, the wheels on the starboard side undercart are torn away, however when it comes to rest in the desert, they're still intact.

Member for

19 years 11 months

Picky Picky Picky!!!

Just enjoy for what it is, a piece of escapism!!!!! :D

A225HVY :p

Member for

20 years

Well i thought it was great - and t'missus did too!

Member for

24 years 2 months

It was OK, I watched in on the Flight Home the other day, however why do they insist on remaking films, and not coming up with new ideas ?????

I felt the ending wasn't as good as the original.

Member for

20 years

It's selling very well in Shanghai at present and the copy is excellent - they must have knocked it off from the studio! - same with sky Captain and the Aviator.

Regards
John P

Member for

24 years 2 months

Question...

Were C119s really cartridge start as I swear I can hear an electric starter whining away when they try to start the phoenix..!!

Member for

24 years 2 months

I picked up my DVD-9 copy just outside Shanghai a few weeks ago!! I don't agree with piracy, but if I can't buy/rent an official copy what am I to do?
Personally, I thought the original film was better. Some good shots but overall I didn't think it had as much atmosphere as the first one. Also, it was pretty amazing the amount of equipment they were carrying.

Member for

19 years 5 months

awfull awfull awfull

can you guess i didnt like it......

Member for

19 years 11 months

Just watched it on DVD tonight and I really enjoyed it......a good bit of escapism

A225HVY

Member for

20 years 2 months

One of the "American-Classic-Aircraft" ;) magazines did a story on the C-119.
Apparently, they replaced the 4-bladers with 3-bladers for a more authentic C-82 look. I believe it is powered by 3350's.

TNZ

Member for

20 years 6 months

While there's a sniff of picky around...

impacts with the ground

I HATE that word! Nothing personal Ian, but what's wrong with 'hits the ground'? 'Impacts with' Gahhh. For managers who need long words to hide a lack of ability (which is definitely not Ian! :D ) Not that my spellink is anything to write home about...

Member for

24 years 2 months

For managers who need long words to hide a lack of ability

true, but its nice to exercise the English language a little don't you agree? :)
Sorry, after the brief sojourn in the US perhaps that should be 'don't y'all agree?'

Not seen the film but im guessing the character played by Ian Bannen hasn't appeared in the film? :)

Member for

20 years 6 months

You impacting me mate? :D

It's just a pet peeve. I'll shut up now!

We want to hear about your US tour.

Member for

24 years 2 months

I don't know, I got told off at DX last Thursday for using the phrase "Plane", and now I'm getting English lessons from an Australian. What's next ?????? :D

Member for

24 years 2 months

You impacting me mate? :D

It's just a pet peeve. I'll shut up now!

We want to hear about your US tour.

James, you won't be able to shut me up about it soon but ill refrain until I have the photographs back. I should get them done next Friday when I have access to a lab to do them myself. Need to develop and print 7 films from a trip to the Lofoten islands also while im there so will be busy.

To summarise, (or should i say summarize? :)) , pictures due of CAF Arizona Wing, NASM Downtown, Seattle Museum of Flight, Niagara Falls Museum and the Toronto Aerospace Museum from across the border.

Anyway, I'm going to hit the sack now, just been out celebrating. Fortunate enough to get a 1st on my degree when the results came today.

best regards, Steve

Member for

24 years 2 months

I don't know, I got told off at DX last Thursday for using the phrase "Plane", and now I'm getting English lessons from an Australian. What's next ?????? :D

Ian, I don't know if the real Mr Bader can be accredited with this or if it is down to the Kenneth More portrayal, but doesn't he say something in Reach for the Sky to the effect of "Never a plane, its an AEROplane" :)

Member for

20 years 6 months

Life's full of surprises, Ian. Who knows, we might even learn something. :D

Congrats, Steve - clearly you din't waste too much time here after all. ;)

Member for

20 years

James, you won't be able to shut me up about it soon but ill refrain until I have the photographs back. I should get them done next Friday when I have access to a lab to do them myself. Need to develop and print 7 films from a trip to the Lofoten islands also while im there so will be busy.

To summarise, (or should i say summarize? :)) , pictures due of CAF Arizona Wing, NASM Downtown, Seattle Museum of Flight, Niagara Falls Museum and the Toronto Aerospace Museum from across the border.

Anyway, I'm going to hit the sack now, just been out celebrating. Fortunate enough to get a 1st on my degree when the results came today.

best regards, Steve

well I'll say well done mate if none of the other buggers will! :D

Member for

19 years 9 months

Well done Hatton, glad you had a lovely trip.