Kurt Tank's Fw-190 Butcher bird/" Wuerger " Thread.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 8 months

Well now that thing's seem to be up and running again :cool: , let's give it a run ;) .

Can we please see some picture's of the Fw 190 Lady's and Gent's in anyform,
Early
Late
High Alt
Sturmbock
Ground Attack
Also the Ta-152 as it might as well go on this thread, being the ultimate 190 design.

Not really interested in the clone's(yet) but I do like some Museum shot's, So bring on what ever you have got everyone please :) .

Here's one that should FLY :( , but if you have clone's it better to fly them I guess, she is rare and very beautiful.(thank's who posted her on Beautiful thread).It's then and now :cool: .

And one from Neilly's colection(hope you don't mind mate).

Cheer's all :D , Tally :dev2: Ho! :dev2: Ho! Phil :diablo: . (I must crash now, been here all day, the M.S. has wiped me out again :o , " Gut Nacht ")

Attachments
Original post

Member for

19 years 8 months

Well that's different, " Nacht "

Member for

19 years 4 months

nice ones, that dora makes me boil with rage everytime I see it!!!!
What about the FW in what seems to be a Duxford Hangar?

Alex

Member for

19 years 8 months

More 190's and a few 152's

Well ok, Here's a few from Axl's :) .

Can not find many good Sturmbock photo's :confused: , So if anyone else out there has any, please post them ;) .

Enjoy !!!

Cheer's all :D , Tally :dev2: Ho! :dev2: Ho! Phil :diablo: .

Any pic's from 190 fan's out there in Hyperspace please :)

Attachments

Member for

19 years 8 months

And a few 152's

Anyone have any flying shot's of the 152 :confused: .

And why doe's that 190 make your blood boil mate :confused: .

The Hangar shot you will have to ask Neilly about, as it's one of his ;) .

Cheer's all :D , Tally :dev2: Ho! :dev2: Ho! Phil :diablo: .

Attachments

Member for

19 years 4 months

it makes my blood boil simply because it is one of the most terrible waste of craftmanship on earth: an airworthy FW190 D kept grounded!! I'd go there, slap the owner, jump in the cockpit and yell "Kontakt!!" :D ;)

Cheers

Member for

19 years 9 months

Ugly bird!

Member for

20 years 9 months

it makes my blood boil simply because it is one of the most terrible waste of craftmanship on earth: an airworthy FW190 D kept grounded!! I'd go there, slap the owner, jump in the cockpit and yell "Kontakt!!" :D ;)

Cheers

arts could be found
IIRC there is a critical part missing from the engines computer control and this means that it will never fly with a Jumo unless the missing parts could be found :( :(

Member for

19 years 4 months

I dont think so, the owner just said he doesnt want to risk to prang her.. spend millions of dollars for it, but to me is pure nonsense if u dont fly her.

Alex

The Fw190 hangar picture is actually one of mine ( see http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=40232&page=1 ), or "Neilly" was standing right next to me as I took the picture. It is the example hanging in the IWM at Lambeth.

Here's the RAF Hendon two seat example.

Steve

Member for

19 years

I dont think so, the owner just said he doesnt want to risk to prang her.. spend millions of dollars for it, but to me is pure nonsense if u dont fly her.

Alex

Maybe when you have found your own genuine FW190 and spent years and alot of money rebuilding it you could decide what happend to it!!!

Member for

19 years 4 months

Maybe when you have found your own genuine FW190 and spent years and alot of money rebuilding it you could decide what happend to it!!!

oh no, not again... :rolleyes:
U can't say "your own FW190", money cant buy everything.. If u decide to restore a FW190 u must even fly it, otherwise it's just an egoistic attitude on an historical symbol. A FW190 is an important witness of WW2 aviation, and it's morally of all of us.. People in the warbird circuit must start realising the importance of having and mantaining one, being not only owners or pilots, but above all testimonials of an important aeroplane.
A static restoration on such good airframe is just a waste, and keeping it in a museum doesnt preserve it any better.. A flying warbird must be kept in airworthy standards, and this is the best way to preserve them, period.
Only a non pilot might think about spending all that money on a plane and then not flying it.. I guess how u can resist the temptation! :D

Alex

Member for

19 years 4 months

Alex,
Why would you risk flying such an original airframe, when new build airframes are available from Flug Werk??
Nick

Member for

20 years 5 months

I gotta go with Italian Harvard on this one, when I heard it was getting a total rebuild to airworthy condition I was seriously jazzed...but then I heard that Champlin was'nt going to fly it and I was just dumbfounded....why even bother, then? More people would get to see the plane if you flew it around to shows than would EVER see it just sitting in a museum that SOME of them may never get to (Collings Foundation B-24 logic kicking in here)...sure it's rare....but if it's handled right and maintained well, it should be around a LONG time...and even if it does prang, odds are it would still be restoreable unless something REALLY went wrong....

Just my 2 cents...

Mark

Member for

19 years

I agree that i would rather see an aerplane in its correct place, ie the air!. However the point is that it is their A/C and they choose what happens to it. As for it should be restorable unless somthing realy goes wrong!! does that include the pilot???

Member for

24 years 3 months

It's actually not the best way to preserve something by flying it. An aircraft is using up time on overhauls and fatiguing components in flight. If for instance after 300 hrs flying there are loose rivets - have you preserved that structure by flying it or have
you diluted it's originality by changing original parts?
I cannot see that there is a groundswell of opinion to get a Dora flying - indeed how many people at an average airshow would appreciate it for what it is? If Champlin
wishes to spend large sums of money to restore her to pristine condition why not?
The fact that he wishes to preserve her for future generations should be applauded.

Member for

20 years 5 months

No, agreed, flying is NOT condusive(sic?) to keeping an aircraft in pristine condition, parts WILL need to be changed, etc and it does wear and tear on the airframe, and it IS his (Champlin's) aircraft...no denying....I guess I just thank god for those who have 'rare aircraft' who choose to fly them....if we grounded every aircraft automatically that there were 5 or less of left FLYING in the world, we would be grounding:

1 SB2C Helldiver
2 Avro Lancasters
1 B-29
1 F2G Corsair
4 Japanese Zeroes
2 Fairey Fireflies
3 B-24/LB-30 Liberators

Etc Etc....don't have all the numbers on what all is left flying but only in limited numbers (under 5 of them)....yet a good number of these folks who own and operate these planes do so because they believe they should be seen in the air, not in some stuffy hangar or museum...and thank god for them. Museums have their place, but I think the majority of folks prefer 'live action'.

Mark

Member for

19 years 4 months

The Blue Max, if a millionaire finds the Holy Grail and decides not to show it to the world "because I got it and it's mine" wouldn't he be an arrogant a$$? As I said u can't own a warbird, it belongs to history, not to ppl.
Boomerang, this is no homebuilt kite, this plane flew in the middle 40s, so it's no real risk to fly it properly and by a competent pilot.
And David, u r right, the aircraft stress factor is important, but
1) u dont need to keep on pulling +6/-4 G everyday
2) it's no more a combat service plane
3) u can't keep it stored forever and ever, can you?
I'd say let's fly for all its hours and then store it in a museum if u really want, but restorating a plane to pristine conditions and in working order just for the pleasure of it is a mixture between feticism and masturbation...
The plane I'm restorating has a scheduled lifetime: we're gonna fly it for all of its hours (it usually all depends on the engine TBO, more than the metal skin..), and then if we feel like we can go on we'll do it, otherwise we'll donate it to a museum.
Think about what they did with the 109G2: they flew it until it was nearly pranged, and then they decided to store it in a museum.
There's another relevant fact: the fighter is said to be for sale. They spent a lot of money and dont wanna risk to lose them, that's it.. Speculation on a historical plane tsk tsk tsk

Alex

Alex

Member for

24 years 3 months

Harvard - Do you not think that most warbirds as such are some kind of investment. For example if I spent nearly one million restoring a Spitfire I wouldn't be that interested in selling it for less than that figure. The OFMC
Spitfire MH434 was bought for 250K in 1983 from memory. If it's now worth
1.5 million it's been a better bet than putting it in shares.
Regardless of whether you agree with aircraft being restored for speculators - few would argue that the standard of restoration work hasn't benefitted from the influx of money and they are keeping people in work.

Member for

24 years 3 months

cowl

Hi
any ideas why the RAF museum 190 has a red lower engine cowl ?
cheers
Jerry

Member for

19 years 4 months

Harvard - Do you not think that most warbirds as such are some kind of investment. For example if I spent nearly one million restoring a Spitfire I wouldn't be that interested in selling it for less than that figure. The OFMC
Spitfire MH434 was bought for 250K in 1983 from memory. If it's now worth
1.5 million it's been a better bet than putting it in shares.
Regardless of whether you agree with aircraft being restored for speculators - few would argue that the standard of restoration work hasn't benefitted from the influx of money and they are keeping people in work.

Most of the ppl who operate warbirds do it for passion: a warbird is unconfortable, expensive, delicate and often a family breaker ;)
That's why I wouldnt dare to define it as an investment, at least a safe one :D
If u can afford to operate one u just do it, and u'll hardly find an owner who would separate himself from his warbird, unless strictly necessary. U can't reduce it to a mere business, it's something more than that, and ppl who think about making profit out of it are just morons.. It's easier to go bankrupt than to make money out of a warbird, flying them becomes a serious addiction! :diablo:

Alex