Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

David Brown Tractor

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JagRigger
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Jan 2006

David Brown Tractor

Hope this is allowed - MODS if not please advise

My local boatyard on the Norfolk Broads just put this in their newsletter

We will soon be selling the yards old tractor. If you are interested in an ex RAF David Brown Tugmaster built in the 1940’s and used in the second world war complete with winch please contact the office.

I'd be happy to pass on details to anyone or group interested ( PM me )
    Last edited by JagRigger; 11th September 2019, 12:42.
  • avion ancien
    Long ago and far away ...
    • Aug 2007

Can you say where your 'local boatyard' is, JagRigger? Its location might influence the degree of interest some might have.

Comment

• JagRigger
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by avion ancien View Post
      Can you say where your 'local boatyard' is, JagRigger? Its location might influence the degree of interest some might have.
      Updated

Comment

• J Boyle
        With malice towards none
        • Oct 2004

It would also be interesting to know what model, just to make sure it is of WWII vintage and not something newer that just looks older.

Vintage tractors are popular, you occasionally see them at classic car auctions where David Browns are bought by Aston Martin collectors.
        Porsche tractors can bring serious money as they are sought after by Porsche fans.

At any rate, if the history is correct, I can see it being offered as an ex-617 Squadron tractor, the very one used to tow the Dambusters around the airfield!
        Last edited by J Boyle; 12th September 2019, 21:52.
        There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

Comment

• rochford
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Mar 2008

It probably has 1944 air in the tyres.

Comment

• myford
            Rank 5 Registered User
            • May 2008

"At any rate, if the history is correct, I can see it being offered as an ex-617 Squadron tractor, the very one used to tow the Dambusters around the airfield"

Guy Gibsons personal tractor. I've seen a picture of him and his dog posing on it.

Comment

• Meddle
              Rank Bajin.
              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by J Boyle View Post
              At any rate, if the history is correct, I can see it being offered as an ex-617 Squadron tractor, the very one used to tow the Dambusters around the airfield!
              Every old Tugmaster (which sounds like a euphemism?) is a former 617 machine. Guy Gibson deserves credit simply for slaloming his Lanc around the heaps of Tugmasters littering the runway.

From what I understand, Tugmasters were not allocated to individual squadrons, and didn't have yellow bonnets during WW2 either. But that doesn't stop some!

Comment

• Lingo Dog
                Rank 3 Registered User
                • Oct 2018

Originally posted by myford View Post
                "At any rate, if the history is correct, I can see it being offered as an ex-617 Squadron tractor, the very one used to tow the Dambusters around the airfield"

Guy Gibsons personal tractor. I've seen a picture of him and his dog posing on it.
                I think you are confusing it with the picture of Guy's dog doing the driving!

Comment

• J Boyle
                  With malice towards none
                  • Oct 2004

Well, he would have the advantage driving a "stick" having four legs and all.
                  There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

Comment

• ZRX61
                    Rank 5 Registered User
                    • May 2005

Howard Keck had one painted in the livery of his vineyard. Ended up looking more like a Morgan.
                    If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: It's all balls. RJM.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                    X