Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dornier 217E Wn4592 9/7/43 raid on East Grinstead and cinema?

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hawker1966
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Nov 2010

Dornier 217E Wn4592 9/7/43 raid on East Grinstead and cinema?

Hi
    Would anyone have any information on Dornier 217E Wn 4592 US+FN that came to its end at White Hill Bletchingly Surrey, i found references to this aircraft possibly being on the loan raid over East Grinstead, where it had dropped its full bomb load over the town and cinema.
    would anyone know whether this aircraft had been confirmed as being the loan bomber on the 9/7/43 raid?

Many thanks in advance to any help given.
    Last edited by hawker1966; 25th August 2019, 18:26.
  • avion ancien
    Long ago and far away ...
    • Aug 2007

Take a look at http://sussexhistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=4400.0. That suggests that it was a lone raider.

Comment

• skeeler
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Jul 2008

hawker 1966 - see also here - http://surrey311.rssing.com/chan-5420439/all_p122.html - scroll down to the 'article' reference 7/17/13. I presume no accuracy to the article though?

Comment

• skeeler
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • Jul 2008

Another article of relevance is here - https://www.felbridge.org.uk/index.p...time-memories/ - scroll down to the item headed 'Murderous attack on South East town,. This article suggests that the Bletchingly Dornier was not responsible and that the 'offending' aircraft may have been a JU88 that returned safely to Germany.

Comment

• hawker1966
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Nov 2010

Thank you for your input above, so reading these accounts it appears we will never know the exact aircraft as we have an eye witness stating a Ju88 whilst we have a Dornier 217 E and a Dornier K as other possibilities.

Comment

• AEROHISTORIAN
            Rank 5 Registered User
            • Feb 2009

Dornier 217 W/nr 4592 was not the aircraft that bombed the cinema in East Grinstead. When this aircraft was recovered by Ken Anscombe the bomb load was still in the wreckage and was removed by bomb disposal.

The aircraft that bombed the cinema was Dornier 217K-1 W/nr 4510 U5+FP that crashed at Bicknor Court Farm, Bicknor in Kent after being attacked by Mosquito XII HK172 of 85 Squadron flown by F/Lt J.P.M. Lintott & Sgt G.G. Gilling-Lax at 1727 hrs. The crew of the Dornier Hauptmann H. Zink, Unteroffizer W. Bernhardt, Unteroffizer E. Freiermuth & Unteroffizier E. Stiermann were all killed.

The Mosquito also crashed at Boxley Kent, it is not known if this was due to return fire from the Dornier or if the mosquito was damaged by wreckage from the disintergrating Dornier. it may also have been hit by local AA guns. Both crew of the Mosquito were also killed.

The Lashenden Air Warfare Museum at Headcorn in Kent has an engine & many other parts from 4592 on display along with parts of 4510 and and HK172.
            Last edited by AEROHISTORIAN; 27th August 2019, 14:25.
            Lashenden Air Warfare Museum the home of the UK's Fieseler Fi 103R-4 Reichenberg
            www.lashendenairwarfaremuseum.co.uk

Comment

• hawker1966
              Rank 5 Registered User
              • Nov 2010

Thank you AEROHISTORIAN
              That pretty much clears that up as i heard so many theory's on the East Grinstead bombing so one hundred per cent not 4592, would you know who dug the Dornier 4510 was it Ken Anscombe or possibly Lashenden.
              Not that i need an excuse to visit Headcorn but guess where my next museum visit is going to be, may try and get here tomorrow as i believe you are still open for the summer holiday period.

Comment

• AEROHISTORIAN
                Rank 5 Registered User
                • Feb 2009

hawker1966
                The museum recovered a number of small parts from 4510 and the Mosquito. Unfortunately the site of 4510's crash was & still is an orchard so we were only able to scrape around the surface. We are open tomorrow 10am to 5pm as our last school holiday Wednesday.
                Lashenden Air Warfare Museum the home of the UK's Fieseler Fi 103R-4 Reichenberg
                www.lashendenairwarfaremuseum.co.uk

Comment

• Old Towzer
                  Rank 4 Registered User
                  • Jun 2018

I thought this might be of some interest. Its a copy of the Mosquito accident card, plus a letter from the Ministry of Defence, giving a few more details.
                  Old Towzer.

Comment

• hawker1966
                    Rank 5 Registered User
                    • Nov 2010

Old Towzer
                    Definitely of interest thank you for the input

AEROHISORIAN
                    Hope to get there tomorrow depends on work, if not over the coming weeks the museum is ever improving and appears there is something new every time i visit normally 3/4 times a year.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                    X