RAF P51 a in vid

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 4 months

Have you wondered what an RAF P51a would look like restored? Here is the answer https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=12&v=laB0whU1YlU

Original post

Member for

7 years 3 months

What an interesting mix up of paint!

Member for

13 years 10 months

Note that when that video was taken, the temporary RAF movie paint was already in the process of being removed (when it got to Lewiston, the remainder was removed). That P-51A, belonging to the Planes of Fame Air Museum, was painted in those markings, of Hollis Hills' Mustang Mk.I, for the up-coming film "American Warhorse" being done by Tim Savage and John Dibbs, set for release next year. It will be featuring some amazing filming of a number of Mustangs and interviews with WWII pilots. Also to be featured in the film is the Planes of Fame P-51D in the movie paint/weathered markings of Abner Aust's green-tail Iwo Jima Mustang, who became the last USAAF ace of WWII, and I have seen clips of "Miss Helen" and "Contrary Mary" being used for the film as well as having heard that "Frenesi" and "Berlin Express" have been as well. In addition, the Planes of Fame Fw-190 and Zero and at least one of the UK Buchons were put to use as the adversaries in the filming sequences. https://www.facebook.com/AmericanWar...RQih57bqbC7t6O

Jason's video from last spring's Planes of Fame Airshow shows the P-51A when it was still in its complete RAF markings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TE0LASIVVTE

Member for

18 years 4 months

Here is an original http://www.rafmuseumphotos.com/charl...ng-702042.html
Charles Brown had very limited stocks of COLOR film imported from the USA during and just after WW2. So he planned his air to air shoots very carefully and became renowned for also including skyscapes in his monochrome shots. Two volumes of his work have been published. He has influenced several modern day airborn camera togs(including me, but i lack aircraft targets up North Scotland) I see his legacy in John Dibbs.
PS If you have a flying machine and would like air to airs from my Inverness base just drop me a message for a chat about how we could arrange.

Member for

24 years 2 months

To correct a couple of points.

The aircraft in the YouTube video is a P-51A (which was equivalent to the Mustang Mk.II in RAF service) painted in a scheme (that has been partially stripped at the time of filming) that represents the N.A. Mustang Mk.I flown by Hollis Hills over Dieppe in August 1942. At the time of the Dieppe raid, it has been determined that the Maple Leaf Roundel and Horses Head logo were not on the Squadron's aircraft at that time, they were not added until after the event. That is supported by period photography and survivor accounts.

The N.A. P-51 Mustang (no suffix) which was the 4 x 20mm cannon armed variant, was the Mustang Mk.IA in RAF service. The Squadron Hills was with was never equipped with the Mustang Mk.IA, only the Mustang Mk.I.

The photo that Scotavia linked to is a Mustang Mk.I of No.II(AC) Squadron taken at Sawbridgeworth in July 1942 and shows the typical c&m for Army Co-operation Command Mustangs in that timeframe. It was one of a number of photos taken that day, both colour and b&w of aircraft of the Squadron on the ground and air to air.

IF there was a P-51A to be done in a correct c&m scheme for one of the two RAF Squadrons that operated the Mustang Mk.II from June 1944 onwards, then it would have a different look to the P-51A in the video. It would not have any squadron id codes shown, only an individual aircraft id letter - ACC dropped squadron id codes from their Mustang squadrons in November 1942. Majority of the Mustang Mk.IIs operated by the RAF were modified with the addition of the Malcolm Hood and were painted in a standardised version of the day fighter scheme, with main variations being those of the range from full invasion stripes, partial invasion stripes to the post 1 January 1945 2TAF scheme with black spinner, no sky rear fuselage id band and revised national markings.

N.A. Mustang Mk.I - no P-51 designation as it predates USAAC type designation and was purely RAF orders. Armament: 1 x Browning 0.50 HMG and 2 x 0.30 Browning MG in each wing, 2 x 0.50 Browning HMG in nose synchronised to fire thru propellor.
N.A. Mustang Mk.IA - P-51 designation - first of family to get USAAC type designation and purchased under Lend Lease. Armament: 4 x 20mm Hispano Cannon - 2 in each wing.
N.A Mustang Mk.II - P-51A - 50 supplied to RAF to replace aircraft held back by USAAF after Pearl Harbor from the Mustang Mk.IA/P-51 order. Armament: 4 x 0.50 Browning HMG - 2 in each wing.