Spitfire PRXI damaged in Holland

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years

https://www.omroepzeeland.nl/nieuws/114783/Historisch-vliegtuig-crasht-op-vliegveld-Midden-Zeeland

Pilot reported ok. Unknown which one as of yet

FB

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

That looks as though it could have been a whole lot worse. Translate munches the meaning a little, but it looks like a fairly non-sensational news report. No second world war fighter jets doing dangerous aerobatics and the pilot ejecting, anyway!

Adrian

Member for

17 years 10 months

Ohhh Bum, it flew past here this morning way in the distance, glad the pilot is ok and looks like a wings off back to DX trip,

Member for

11 years 9 months

Looks like it could have been a lot worse indeed, AG. She almost ended on her back... I got sent a video, but can't upload it for some reason. She was literally standing on her spinner for a second before she fell back on her remaing undercarriage.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Holymoley, someone is a very lucky boy, that could have been very nasty indeed!

Adrian

Member for

14 years 6 months

On the subject of bent Spitfires anyone know what’s happening with the French spit that dig in and tore itself apart during take off a few years ago again with pilot not hurt?

Member for

24 years 2 months

I was under the impression its under rebuild

Member for

17 years

It is, I saw it at the end of last year, wings were going back together and fuselage was about to go in the jig.

FB

Member for

8 years 7 months

It's at arco and I'd guess nearing completion

Member for

20 years 7 months

That could have been so much worse!

Great news is the damage can and will be repaired, and no harm came to the pilot.

Member for

20 years 5 months

Surely the drop back down would've damaged the fuselage????

Member for

24 years 2 months

Won't have done it any good - wonder if he's got his lottery ticket today?...

Member for

24 years 2 months

...but not as much as if it had gone over.

Adrian

Member for

8 years 7 months

Depends if it was controlled or not guess

Member for

20 years

This is J R's 'own' Spitfire, so is likely to be nursed back to health without delay. If it needs a spell in the jigs for remedial work, they are all geared up to do it.

PT462 was fast-tracked back to airworthiness in a matter of months in the spring , all you need is resourses, experience, motivation.........and a few quid, I imagine !

Member for

14 years 10 months

And it has how many hrs. on it??? poor beastie. looked messy.

Member for

20 years

Glad to hear pilot ok. That airframe doesn’t seem to fair too well in Europe.

Member for

17 years 10 months

I guess with the airframe its all down to how it dropped back after the nose up, so so glad it did not go all the way over.
I am surprised that there is not a video popping up of it as I very much doubt a Spitfire lands without a phone being pointed at it these days

Member for

24 years 2 months

As ever speculation about what damage might have been caused in the mishap is fairly pointless. The guys who maintain it know what to look for , know whether it can be fixed on spot or recovered to base on a truck, and know what to do in order to get it back up in the skies again. Its just engineering.