Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sopwith Pup, N5195

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DaveM2
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Jan 2000

Sopwith Pup, N5195

All, does anyone have a reasonably detailed history of this aircraft? I know it served with the RNAS in WWI, (any details?) was stored for decades and was intended as a spares source for N5182, but was not used for that.

Rebuilt (by who?) and flown in 1985.

TIA
    Dave
  • Hooligan
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Mar 2017

Rebuilt by Des St Cyrien at Horley and I believe test flown at Redhill and/or Middle Wallop by Mike Peare.
    Last edited by Hooligan; 17th August 2019, 07:05.

Comment

• DaveM2
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Jan 2000

Thanks Hooligan, Avion- that is a different aircraft.

Comment

• avion ancien
        Long ago and far away ...
        • Aug 2007

.... which is why I deleted my contribution immediately after posting it! Try https://pdfslide.us/documents/va-vol...-jan-1987.html instead.

I believe Michael Peare posts on the Flyer forum as MichaelP (q.v. https://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic...h+Pup#p1634652).
        Last edited by avion ancien; 17th August 2019, 08:42. Reason: Aditional information

Comment

• Sopwith
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Mar 2009

on G-info it is registered to Christopher and Adrian St Cyrien and permit to fly expired on 22/4/93

Comment

• DaveM2
            Rank 5 Registered User
            • Jan 2000

Thanks Avion (and Sopwith) will follow that up.

Comment

• jeepman
              infrequent poster now
              • Apr 2004

On display at Middle Wallop when I was there a fortnight ago. First World War Survivors (Aston Publications) suggests that the remains were purchased from the Lincoln area in 1963 for the princely sum of 25
              JM

Comment

• nuuumannn
                Rank 5 Registered User
                • Oct 2011

From Royal Navy Aircraft Serials and Units 1911 - 1919, Sturtivant and Page, Air Britain, 1992:

N5195 (80hp Gnome) Deld ADD by 11.16 (not by 2.11.16); 3 Sqn 5.11.16; FL Oost Dunkerque 7.1.17; retd sqn on/by 8.1.17; 8 Sqn by 25.1.17; 3 Sqn 3.2.17; ADD by 15.3.17; Dover 16.3.17 (repair and overhaul); U/c damaged 25.4.17; Wrecked 24.5.17; Damaged 24.7.17; War School Manston 29.9.17 - @30.3.18

Many years ago I had a telephone conversation about Great War restorations with Tim Moore, with whom I discussed Des St Cyrien's 'restorations'. There was no doubt he was a fine craftsman, but he did have a propensity to stretch the truth about the origin of his aircraft. For example, the RAF Museum's Pup being 'discovered' in an airship shed in France, this was a complete fabrication - there was no French airship shed, according to Moore. His aircraft were built from scratch and incorporated parts from original aircraft in them, rather than being restorations. It's a niggly and pedantic view, but to claim them as being original is a bit of a stretch, when they were built from scratch, which is what St Cyrien actually admitted to before his death. What this does is highlight the man's skills, however and certainly doesn't detract from the finished product being authentic enough to call it a Pup, which is what it is, but is it N5195? Hmm.
                My websites; Warbirds Walkaround: http://warbirdswalkaround.wixsite.com/warbirds Mr Watson's Flying Machines: http://rockingwings.tripod.com/

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                X