Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sea Harriers On UK Register

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scotavia
    scotavia
    • Nov 2005

Sea Harriers On UK Register

A single and twin seat Sea Harrier have been registered on the G reg. A source on UKAR says the owners are the same as the North Weald Gnats. Now dont shoot the messenger with all the comments about them never flying here in the UK. Consider that the deciding factors enabling UK flight are with the CAA. Several surprising projects are in progress and I believe that more are to come if the engineering support is available.
  • R4118
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Aug 2015

I was told the other day there was 2 harriers on the register both to be based out of st athan.

Comment

• XL189
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Apr 2011

G-RNFA & G-RNTB

Comment

• R4118
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • Aug 2015

That's the two! Was told they could be on the display circuit next year!

Comment

• Firebird
          Avons with attitude
          • Mar 2003

The Sea Harrier F/A2 is ex-ZH803, and the T.8 is ex-ZD990.

I'll still be gobsmacked if they ever fly in the UK though in this post-Shoreham era, despite Art Nalls proving it can be done in the USA for a good number of years.

I was with it all the way until letting the brakes off..........

Comment

• scotavia
            scotavia
            • Nov 2005

Try some logic...jets fly and display in the UK and recently Harriers at Yeovilton and Fairford. They operate and display according to pre checked regulations . The locations are approved and defined areas assigned for the display. Some jets are flown by civvy pilots on MOD contracts, eg Hawks,Hunters ,Dassault Falcons. Why therefore can you isolate one type which is currently in service ?

Comment

• Ex Brat
              Rank 5 Registered User
              • Mar 2013

scotavia - These Harriers at Yeovilton, are they flying on military or civilian registration?

Have a read of CAP 632 and CAP 1640 available for free from the CAA website.

Comment

• Hooligan
                Rank 5 Registered User
                • Mar 2017

Spanish Navy Harriers (Matadors?) at Yeovilton Air Show...

Comment

• scotavia
                  scotavia
                  • Nov 2005

I am going to make a simple suggestion, yes so simple that it should already be a forum sticky.....If the owners of the aircraft register an aircraft with the UK CAA with intent to fly then they will have already established that the route to flying is already open provided that they follow the agreed process. When I made the first post I said " Now dont shoot the messenger with all the comments about them never flying here in the UK. Consider that the deciding factors enabling UK flight are with the CAA." I suggest that making comments here amounts to speculation and of course that does not happen on this forum.

Comment

• Ex Brat
                    Rank 5 Registered User
                    • Mar 2013

In aviation, their are those who are willing to spend their money on a nonstarter idea because their are others telling them it can be done. Those doing the telling are the ones who will make money from such schemes. If its too good to be true ...

I could save the investors a whole heap of , it they would like to listen to the unpalatable reality if they want to pay be just ,.

Comment

• Nad
                      Nad
                      Rank 5 Registered User
                      • Apr 2014

I can tell you all that this project has not been an overnight decision. It has been years. If you look at all media sites there are numerous comments about wanting to see Harriers fly in the UK so instead of the negative comments from armchair experts maybe we should be wishing all the best and hope to see a Harrier that is owned and operated in the UK flying soon.
                      All the armchair experts said that the Vulcan would not fly.

Comment

• Firebird
                        Avons with attitude
                        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by scotavia View Post
                        I am going to make a simple suggestion, yes so simple that it should already be a forum sticky.....If the owners of the aircraft register an aircraft with the UK CAA with intent to fly then they will have already established that the route to flying is already open provided that they follow the agreed process.
                        If you bother to check back through the annuls of G-reg history you'll find plenty of 'complex' types that were registered with a G-**** by their UK owners, but never got air under their wings in UK skies, for example Lightnings G-LTNG, G-PIOB, G-BPFE.
                        And that agreed process involves OEM/DA support.
                        I was with it all the way until letting the brakes off..........

Comment

• Nad
                          Nad
                          Rank 5 Registered User
                          • Apr 2014

You do not need OEM/DA approval with a Part 21 Approval

Comment

• Ex Brat
                            Rank 5 Registered User
                            • Mar 2013

Priceless.

Comment

• XL189
                              Rank 5 Registered User
                              • Apr 2011

Priceless indeed!

A Part 21 subpart G Manufacturing Organisation must have an arrangement with a Design Organisation, EU Regulation 748/2012, 21.A.133(b) and (c) refers.

Plus the Harrier is a "Non EASA" aircraft
                              Last edited by XL189; 11th August 2019, 18:13.

Comment

• andrewclark
                                Rank 5 Registered User
                                • Oct 2013

Sorry, what does all this mean to a layman? I'm lost

Comment

• Ex Brat
                                  Rank 5 Registered User
                                  • Mar 2013

Andrew, I could explain that but I just an armchair expert.

Comment

• XL189
                                    Rank 5 Registered User
                                    • Apr 2011

Ex Brat...
                                    Me too!

Perhaps we should drag our armchairs together!

Comment

• Ex Brat
                                      Rank 5 Registered User
                                      • Mar 2013

XL189, there are those who will always confuse fantasy and reality. The means by which ex military aircraft can be awarded a CAA Permit to Fly is well established and freely available to read online. For the Harrier there is already the CAA opinion that the type is considered to be in the complex category.

Perhaps user Nad would like to explain how and why the CAA will allow a civilian register Harrier, unsupported by an OEM/DA, to fly in the UK?

Firebird, no escape for you; pull up a chair. Popcorn anyone?
                                      Last edited by Ex Brat; 12th August 2019, 06:36.

Comment

• WP840
                                        Whisky Papa
                                        • Feb 2006

I have read elsewhere that the aircraft will only be displaying using standard flying and not hovering or other manoeuvres involving rotation of it's nozzles.
                                        If you're not living on the edge then you're taking up too much space!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                        X