Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whirlwind Fighter Project AGM 2019

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • merlin57
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Mar 2014

Whirlwind Fighter Project AGM 2019

Our next AGM will be held at East Kirby on Saturday the 5th of October at 1100. All are welcome, please support the build of P7056 which will be the only Whirlwind Fighter in the world, we need your support to continue with the build.

There will be a raffle , Speakers, and tea and biscuits.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by merlin57; 5th August 2019, 11:40.
  • DoraNineFan
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Oct 2005

I'm not sure if this has already been shared. But I stumbled across a remarkable bit of Whirlwind film.

Comment

• adrian_gray
      Which idiot let HIM in?
      • Jan 2000

That's a nice find! Would like to know more about it - who is the Indian gent? Or the chap with the plastered foot? And what is that on the right breast of their jackets? Amongst other things!

The aircraft signwriten "Bellows" were, I believe, paid for by fundraising in Argentina - though I forget the relevance of the bellows to the tale. I'm fairly sure it was covered in Flypast many years ago.

Adrian
      "Snow clearing equipment has been found under snowdrift" - message sent from RNAS Hatston, Orkney, 1944.

Comment

• brewerjerry
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • May 2004

Hi
        fairly good description of the bellows foundation

not just argentina,

many countries and the whirlwinds originally carried names suggested by those countries before reverting to just 'bellows '

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fell...of_the_Bellows

indian pilot

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/hi...yagarajan.html

cheers
        jerry
        Last edited by brewerjerry; 12th August 2019, 23:29.

Comment

• SE5AFAN
          Essex boy
          • Jan 2000

Great film. Anyone else notice the interloping Typhoon at 2.35 ?
          Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come.

Comment

• Danwheeler65
            Rank 5 Registered User
            • Mar 2016

Do you know SE5AFAN I've watched this film dozens of times and only just noticed the tiffies now that you've pointed them out. Not only that, but a rare sound of them as well. Well spotted mate.
            adrian-gray, th3 pilot with the plaster cast was Flt. Lt Geoff Warnes.

Comment

• Beermat
              1 Registered Rank Loser
              • Oct 2009

The 'Bellows' under the cockpit was added to the aircraft appearing in this film because it was shot for the benefit of a South American audience (according to the 263 ORB) and by this time the Argentinian Bellows organisation were under the impression that 263 were a new squadron formed entirely of aircraft purchased with their donations. While the reality could never be so simple, this idea - spread by the Bellows' own internal news-sheet - was never countered by the RAF or Air Ministry because it made for excellent propaganda. All would have been well until a crew turned up to film the squadron, causing a number of aircraft that were never actually Bellows donations to gain these markings overnight.
              www.whirlwindfighterproject.org
              It's all good. Probably.

Comment

• brewerjerry
                Rank 5 Registered User
                • May 2004

Hi

many years ago I thought of doing a book on the whirlwind but never got around to it and probably never will, so .

Notes from files at the PRO / NA Kew

In 1941, The whirlwinds were named after the branches that donated them, I.e. Brazil, Argentina , Uruguay , Columbia , Bolivia.

There were Bellows Argentina I to XII

P7055 Bellows Argentina No:1,

P7116 Bellows Argentina No:2 , HE-F

P7117 Bellows Argentina No:3 , HE-E
                P7118 Bellows Argentina No:4
                P7119 Bellows Argentina No:5 , SF-S
                P7120 Bellows Argentina No:6
                P7121 Bellows Argentina No:7 SF-C

Known other serials for Bellows Argentina P7057 , P7052.

Bellows Uruguay I , P7122

Bellows Uruguay II SF-E

Bellows Uruguay III

Bellows Uruguay IV

Fellowship of the Bellows Columbia

Condor I ( Bolivia )

Condor II ( Bolivia )

O Banderante ( Brazil )

But in July 1942, the Fellowship of the bellows was allocated 263Sq as a Bellows squadron and all individual aircraft names were eliminated at the request of the South American Fellowship and 20 whirlwinds
                ( all with 263 Squadron ) bore the bellows insignia on them, but it appears the name change to the aircraft did not happen until late august, maybe the date of the film ?

From records, combat reports ( some combat reports actually state " this was a bellows aircraft " in the report ) and a few photographs.

I think that the serials and codes are :-

P6974 HE-Z, P6981 HE-B, P7007, P7040, P7052, P7055, P7057, P7059, P7062 HE-L, P7089,

P7094 HE-T, P7105 HE-N, P7108, P7113 HE-W, P7116 HE-J, P7117 HE-E, P7120.

The remaining bellows aircraft with 137Squadron ,
                i.e. P7119 and P7121, were missed and the full presentation names remained on these aircraft .

There was also Comrade in Arms P7102, SF-P and the Pride of Yeovil

I have seen it mentioned that is possible that there may have been a Pride of Yeovil II, & Pride of Yeovil III , but found no info on if this happened

one individual a/c serial not known had a plate of an eel, attached to it on request of a squadron leader who visited westland factory to pick out his aircraft
                ( info from a factory worker in response to a local newspaper request for info on the whirlwind )
                Last edited by brewerjerry; 14th August 2019, 00:49.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                X