B-24 Liberator Project AL557 for sale

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

11 years 5 months

I saw this over on Wix forum. If the lottery numbers ever come up, Would love to see a B-24 in RAF / Coastal command colours..

https://www.trade-a-plane.com/search?category_level1=Multi+Engine+Piston&make=CONSOLIDATED+VULTEE&model=B-24&listing_id=2359008&s-type=aircraft#

Original post

Member for

19 years 4 months

There is great background history of AL557 in the book "Hidden Warbirds" by Nick Veronico. Here's a google link to book excerpts:

http://books.google.com/books?id=X-y...ins%22&f=false

AL557 ended up in India for about ten and a half months on 159 Squadron, a focus of my research. Here’s an excerpt from Nick’s book:

...at RAF Lyneham in Wiltshire, England. Here the bomber was prepared for operations in India.

After making the transit, AL557 arrived at Salbani, India (west of Calcutta), on July 10, 1943, where it was assigned to No. 159 Squadron, Air Command South East Asia. Here the Liberator served as a long-range transport for nearly a year. On May 23, 1944, AL557 departed India for the Mediterranean Allied Forces. In April 1945, AL557 was flown from the Mediterranean to Scottish Aviation for conversion to a passenger carrier.

I have copies of six 159 Squadron airmen’s logbooks which mention this particular aircraft on 22 training flights between 3 August and 1 October 1943. Attached is one entry from the logbook of 404534 RNZAF observer Joseph Nolan Culleton. He flew only once aboard AL557.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tAL557highlighted.jpg Views:\t0 Size:\t322.0 KB ID:\t3868498","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"3868498","data-size":"medium"}[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Member for

19 years 5 months

Notice the wing is from a USAAF example.

Member for

7 years 4 months

175K that person has to be dreaming.

Member for

19 years 4 months

Yes, that wing shows American markings, but...

From the Nick Veronico book, and via the AL557 history in “The Liberator in Royal Air Force and Commonwealth Service” by James D. Oughton, it is clear that this aircraft never flew with the US military. It is a safe bet that the wings which are for sale are from AL557, not another Liberator with US provenance; photos of the pranged-and-recovered AL557 airframe show recoverable wings. Here is a photo of the wreck in Alaska before recovery -- from the Trade-A-Plane ad (via WIX forum). My guess is that the American insignia was bogus.

A further excerpt from the Veronico book:

In July 1990, the Alaska Aviation Heritage Museum in Anchorage recovered the ex-World War II bomber and put it up for sale. In 1996, the fairly intact bomber project was bought by the Lone Star Flight Museum of Galveston, Texas…Lone Star had the aircraft transported to Vintage Aircraft Ltd. At Fort Collins, Colorado, where it has remained in outside storage. In 2001, Lone Star sold the bomber to Don Whittington’s World Jet in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":3868511}[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Member for

19 years 5 months

I was thinking the wing might be from a different aircraft.
I don't know why someone would paint wreckage unless it was used in a film.

Member for

16 years 8 months

Its currently in Fort Collins Colorado i have lots of photos of it taken recently

Member for

19 years 4 months

But I'm guessing that AL557 is no longer in the same outdoor location where it was stored for years, on the side of a building at 128 Racquette Drive. Can you tell us anything more, mikeeepannell? At least it's not outdoors in the latest-available Google Earth imagery dated 14 October 2017. The previous imagery, 7 Sept 2016, showed the Liberator remnants still in outdoor storage.

Sure would be great to learn that the remnants are protected against the elements for the time being, though for all I know, the remains were simply moved to another outdoor location nearby, still in Fort Collins, CO.
[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tFtCollins,Lib,7Sep16_14Oct17.jpg Views:\t0 Size:\t349.5 KB ID:\t3868676","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"3868676","data-size":"medium"}[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Member for

19 years 4 months

Someone posted this on the Warbirds Information Exchange (WIX) forum:

YEARS ago when I talked to the Whittington Bros (representative?) about the plane I was told the wings came from somewhere else and were in a "much better" state than the rest of the fuselage.

This would explain the US markings on the underside of the wing; the US star can be seen in the 7 Sept 2016 satellite image I posted.

Member for

11 years 5 months

Someone posted this on the Warbirds Information Exchange (WIX) forum:

YEARS ago when I talked to the Whittington Bros (representative?) about the plane I was told the wings came from somewhere else and were in a "much better" state than the rest of the fuselage.

This would explain the US markings on the underside of the wing; the US star can be seen in the 7 Sept 2016 satellite image I posted.

Privateer wings possibly?

Member for

19 years 5 months

Not Privateer wings...at least not with an identification based solely on those markings.

The insignia seen is 1942-style, the PB4Y-2s (the single fin model for those of you not fluent in USN designations) of which many survived post war to serve as fire bombers...and thus could be the source of any spare wings laying about...were built much later and never used that style of national markings.

Member for

16 years 8 months

Its now outside the back of Ray Middletons hanger next door on Racquette drive, still out in the open

Member for

19 years 4 months

Thanks for that, mikeeepannell. Oh well, still in outdoor storage. I located its new outdoor location on the 14 Oct 2017 Google Earth imagery.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":3868755}[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Member for

18 years 5 months

And sadly the origional advert has now been deleted.

Member for

8 years 11 months

And sadly the origional advert has now been deleted.

Or perhaps happily a buyer has been found and it is off to a loving home.....

:)

Member for

16 years 8 months

Yes my missile silo in Cheyenne....in my dreams

Member for

19 years 5 months

I do hope someone steps up and takes on the project.

After all, compared to most Spitfire projects nowadays, (which look to be pieces of long buried wrecks), this aircraft is almost complete!

Profile picture for user yakoyakdiddy

Member for

6 months 1 week

Does anyone have photographs of AL557 from its time with 120 Squadron? I can't find anything, and it's not been without effort. I also happen to have the excellent "B-24 LIBERATOR IN RAF COASTAL COMMAND SERVICE", but there's no mention of this aircraft within.

Of particular interest would be precisely what colour scheme it had when it was with 120 Sqdn. I'm going to assume temperate sea/ slate/ extra dark grey and white, but would be nice to have confirmation of that.

Profile picture for user yakoyakdiddy

Member for

6 months 1 week

https://www.rafcommands.com/database/serials/details.php?uniq=al557

Similar sites that are databases for RAF aircraft

The above mentioned book (which is very comprehensive), and good old Google searching.
Do you happen to have further information to clarify the question I have? Would be fantastic if you do.

Member for

14 years 1 month

DoRIS at the RAF Museum would be a start; IWM photo archive another. You said, " it's not been without effort", so I assume you've visited other photo archives?

Googling will only render a limited amount: proper research involves legwork (as in, getting out and doing it old school). The RAF Museum archives in particular are well worth a visit and the staff are very helpful.