Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

with paul g allen gone, what is happening with all his toy's ?

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • STORMBIRD262
    Wanabee 262 pilot
    • Jul 2004

with paul g allen gone, what is happening with all his toy's ?

doe's anyone know if the real 262 is still a go
    Cheer's all far and WIDE!! , Tally Ho from Phil in Oz!

WHAT GOE'S UP MUST COME DOWN
  • DoraNineFan
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by STORMBIRD262 View Post
    doe's anyone know if the real 262 is still a go

The museum will continue according to video shared by Kermit Weeks.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJiSCbCHTgo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viT0Lb6asis

Regarding the Me-262, a recent online article used some confusing language stating that the Me-262 will only make a couple of flights. I have not read any clarifying remarks to confirm that statement or not.

Last edited by DoraNineFan; 17th July 2019, 13:15.

Comment

• J Boyle
      With malice towards none
      • Oct 2004

Refreshingly, Allen seems to have done proper estate planning to insure his organizations continue his work.

In my work in the collector car world, I see that is often not the case.

And for those of us with smaller estates, we hear stories of libraries and collections either not bringing their true value or worse, things like photo collections going to the tip.

Something to consider, whatever our age.
      There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

Comment

• Seafuryfan
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • Jan 2000

The collection will carry on. Interestingly, it changed its name because armoured vehicles were increasing the footfall where historic aircraft were not.

Comment

• JohnTerrell
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Apr 2010

As mentioned, everything seems to be staying on track as it had prior to Paul Allen passing away. You can see this as well with Allen's Research Vessel "Petrel", which has continued its explorations and has continued finding more WWII wrecks in the Pacific. It was fortunate for the two-part video that Kermit Weeks made that was able to answer early on some key questions (such as FHCAM wanting to do away with the several smaller flying events per year in favor of having a few larger flying events per year, figuring they would get more people to attend overall).

This I believe is the latest report on the Me-262 (note that details in the last paragraph are not set in stone): http://warbirdsnews.com/warbird-rest...-unveiled.html

The Stuka is expected to be completed/flying next year, and the engine is supposedly already to have been test run.

Comment

• RAFRochford
            Rank 5 Registered User
            • Feb 2006

I'm going to have to consider flying out there at some point. I have to see that Stuka fly. I suppose that will be the worlds only airworthy Junkers Jumo too? All exciting stuff.

Comment

• STORMBIRD262
              Wanabee 262 pilot
              • Jul 2004

thank's for the link's top stuff, so the 262 may fly, but very little
              Cheer's all far and WIDE!! , Tally Ho from Phil in Oz!

WHAT GOE'S UP MUST COME DOWN

Comment

• James D
                Rank 5 Registered User
                • Oct 2003

It seems unlikely (to me at least) that they would spend what must have been a very substantial sum on rebuilding the Jumo engines, to fly them only once. It sounds more like the journalist has misunderstood someone saying that they'll fly it once or twice a year, as they do with the rest of the collection.
                Have YOU used the "Will it be at Legends" joke yet today?

Comment

• ZRX61
                  Rank 5 Registered User
                  • May 2005

His sister pretty much shut down StratoLaunch before the body was cold. The aircraft has been listed for sale for some ridiculous amount. Branson offered them $2.00
                  If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: It's all balls. RJM.

Comment

• J Boyle
                    With malice towards none
                    • Oct 2004

Originally posted by James D View Post
                    It seems unlikely (to me at least) that they would spend what must have been a very substantial sum on rebuilding the Jumo engines, to fly them only once. It sounds more like the journalist has misunderstood someone saying that they'll fly it once or twice a year, as they do with the rest of the collection.
                    I would like to believe you are correct, but I can also believe them saying "we did it" just to satisfy themselves and leave it at that.

When you have the kind of money Vulcan seems to have, our assumptions that they "wouldn't possibly spend all that money, do all that work, just to fly it once" are probably wrong.
                    There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                    X