Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flying Legends participant list

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seafuryfan
    replied
    The grandstand worked for me, with marshals ensuring selfish stand-uppers sat back down. Rules are rules. It wasnt excessively tight for the two of us, we arrived early to bag seats near the aisle, or its a bit inconvenient getting up every time someone wants to go to the loo.

Leave a comment:

• TempestV
    replied
    I went on Saturday and enjoyed the display.
    Highlights for me included:
    The pair of joker aircraft between the Balbo passes. The Bearcat was joined by the Hawker ISS Fury for a high energy aerial ballet.
    The Lysander/Blenheim/MK1 Spitfire Flypast. This would have been improved with the addition of a MK1 Hurricane.
    The DH9 looked amazing but didn't fly unfortunately.
    Even the slightly overcast sky was a blessing....anyone who has previously been to Duxford will know the delight of staring towards the sun all day!

Also to answer a previous question regarding TFC's Spitfire 22. Nick Grey indicated that once the propeller issues had been resolved on the Fiat, the Spitfire would be worked on.
    Last edited by TempestV; 15th July 2019, 16:55.

Leave a comment:

• Propstrike
    replied
    Re the Grandstands, other online accounts indicate that tinfact they are far from satisfactory, being very packed, and with a shallow angle of tiers, negating the benefit - once tried , never repeated, say most.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by iclo View Post
    Nick Grey provided news about the Fiat who still require a prop fix but could be flying next year and a exciting prospect about the mk22 TFC had in storage
    What did Nick Grey say about the Mk.22? I obviously missed that bit...

Leave a comment:

• L4x2
    replied
    I went today (Sunday). It was frikking awesome. I spent more time looking through binoculars than the camera view finder though which is a much better way of enjoying it in my opinion.
    My 5 y.o. daughter was enthralled by the wingwalkers.
    Traffic was no problem at all
    12 spitfires in formation
    3 mk1 spitfires
    5 buchons
    DH9
    super high energy displays from Sharkmouth, the Bearcat and the Fury

brilliant
    It seems only a few years ago that the "enemy" was represented by a bf108 or maybe two on a good year

I also got to see a Hurricane fly

Leave a comment:

• Roobarb
    replied
    I went Saturday. At 08:30 the traffic was back to McDonalds on the A505 east (2 miles from DX). It took 2hrs 10minutes to get in from there. A friend travelled in at around 12:15 and got straight in. Traffic management in was poor in my opinion. Traffic management out was great. I was home in 12 minutes after the last of the Balbo finished. That's considerably quicker than coming home from DX at 17:30 in the week!

Leave a comment:

• Propstrike
    replied
    It is difficult to disentangle ones feelings about this show, which is very positive in many ways, but the 'experience' does raise some challenges.

It is very well run, ticketing, parking, all very slick , traffic today in and out, was a dream, perhaps a reflection that it felt markedly less busy than previous years. By mid-afternoon many stalls seemed to have few visitors.

The display too, blessed with reasonable/good weather was very efficient, no gaps, pretty much on schedule as advertised, and most important safe.

The problem is that sometimes the display just feels a bit remote, and for instance during the Spitfire tailchase, the southern section of six were tracking past beyond the southern boundary of the field, beyond the range of any normal camera lens, and quite distant to the human eye. For single aircraft fly-bys, they are just rather small in the sky, and rather lose their visual impact. Attention starts to falter.

If you can get close to the fence- line, there is more 'connection', but the vast majority of spectators arrive after the fence-line is bagged, ( or 'chaired') so your view is of the people in front, obscuring aircraft taxying past , and what you can see are distant aircraft flying by. Like so many problems in life, if you pay more, you get more, and probably the grandstand ( ) would deliver a better experience. However, along the display frontage there is so much roped off space, enclosures for numerous organisations and enterprises, that a normal 'punter' feels like a rather second-class citizen.

I have done 20 + Legends, and will go again, but the contrast with Old Warden ( only a week ago) is significant . It is a different kind of show of course, but if you want some grass to sit on, a good view, and close (er) flying performers, it is not a difficult choice.

Leave a comment:

• Sabrejet
    replied
    Take a look at Yeovilton's Air Day (Alize/Zephyr/Paris formation for a start) - now that was an interesting show!

Leave a comment:

• iclo
    replied
    Weather only restricted the Red Arrows To their flat routine. But the weather was better when the main part of the show started 2 hours later.

Leave a comment:

• hampden98
    replied
    Originally posted by Mayhem Marshy View Post
    just overcast really, a bit drab...
    That's a shame but better than rain.

Leave a comment:

• Mayhem Marshy
    replied
    just overcast really, a bit drab...

Leave a comment:

• hampden98
    replied
    Originally posted by Mayhem Marshy View Post
    I have to agree, it was a cracker. My only possible criticism would have been that I would have had the silver Boultbee Spitfire somewhere in the middle of the set up, as opposed to being outside the ARCO hangar (missed publicity?) Otherwise, brilliant, in particular a very tight four ship from Ultimate Fighters. Hoping for better weather next time. for those going tomorrow, I hope you have as good a time as I have had today...
    Glad it was a good day. What sort of weather did you get? I was in Worthing today and it was brilliant sunshine.

Leave a comment:

• Mayhem Marshy
    replied
    I have to agree, it was a cracker. My only possible criticism would have been that I would have had the silver Boultbee Spitfire somewhere in the middle of the set up, as opposed to being outside the ARCO hangar (missed publicity?) Otherwise, brilliant, in particular a very tight four ship from Ultimate Fighters. Hoping for better weather next time. for those going tomorrow, I hope you have as good a time as I have had today...

Leave a comment:

• iclo
    replied
    I'm on the way back from my first Legends and It was a splendid airshow. Yes the program was Spitfire and 109 centric, after that it's our decision to attend or not. Nick Grey provided news about the Fiat who still require a prop fix but could be flying next year and a exciting prospect about the mk22 TFC had in storage

Leave a comment:

• Rich82
    replied
    Agreed - we're parked by the LWH too.
    And I have to say, however thin the line up may have looked on paper, the formations here and the way the displays are being flown is making this one of the best Legends I've attended. This is my 20th consecutive year and it's exceptional. The 3 Daks have just displayed in vic formation and everything up to now, more than exciting to watch.

Great, great show this year - looking forward to more of the same tomorrow!
    Last edited by Rich82; 13th July 2019, 15:42.

Leave a comment:

• Kenbo
    replied
    Originally posted by TEXANTOMCAT View Post
    Traffic appalling even at this early hour usually breeze in at 0800 but been stationary for 40 minutes!
    I came off the m11 rbt at about 7.55 and took nearly an hour to get through the ticket booths.. Must'nt complain though I'm parked RIGHT next to LWH which is much better than the overflow on the north side...it's a bit of a hike over the bridge if you want anything from the car..

Leave a comment:

• TEXANTOMCAT
    replied
    Traffic appalling even at this early hour usually breeze in at 0800 but been stationary for 40 minutes!

Leave a comment:

• Southern Air99
    replied
    This is the first time in about 3/4 years I'm going to miss it, being a student certainly doesn't help fund airshow trips, Shame they don't do student concessions, but they must have reasons.

Leave a comment:

• Hooligan
    replied
    I'm giving it a miss this year.I don't want to but I need a bit of financial space. I think it'll be a cracking show and I'll regret not going but I missed 96 (thank God), 2016 and this one. Not a bad batting average.

Leave a comment:

• scotavia
    replied
    Polish air force bi plane has arrived.

Leave a comment:

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
X