Flying Legends participant list

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years

Any airshow that has 12 (?) Spitfires and 5 Buchons can hardly be said to lack interest but according to the website there doesn't seem to be the usual invitees from overseas apart from the American based DC-3s.and the Beech 18s. Are there to be any last minute additions?

Original post

Member for

20 years

https://www.flyinglegends.com/aircraft.html

The DH-9 will make its debut. 14 Spits now I think. I was about to describe it as a UK-based fighter-fest, then noticed there are NO Hurricanes (!) scheduled, nor any Hawker biplanes.

Also no Red Bull team, and none of the France or Germany based warbirds.

Piper L4's and Wingwalkers were added in the last few days. I am trying not to say it out loud , but it looks a bit thin right now.

A Mosquito could turn it all around... !!

Member for

18 years 4 months

Red Bull aircraft involved in an event in Hungary.

Member for

20 years

Praps the quid pro quo with the DH9 debut moving from OW to DX was to 'let' OW have the 7 ship Hurri formation yesterday - in which case, fair do's!

I'd still love to see the 262 or failing which the 163 glider from Germany... or even the Norseman ....

Member for

6 years 6 months

Suprised ARCo’s lysander isnt on there (we still have a week though so fingers crossed)

Member for

9 years 5 months

Some surprising omissions. Find it hard to believe there won't be a single Hurricane present, even with 7 being present at OW.

Member for

17 years 7 months

It’s the D-day 75 Airshow. There were not many Hurricanes active on D-day. How about Stearmans?

Member for

18 years 9 months

Agreed it's a shame there are currently no Hurricanes or many foreign participants, but yes, it's the D-Day airshow so maybe that's the reason. There were P51s active though and Miss Helen Berlin Express and Hun Hunter/Texas are 3 beautiful Mustangs languishing in the DX hangars at the moment. Wasn't there a rumour that The Horsemen were returning this year, possibly with a 'different' aircraft type to the Mustangs we've seen here before?

Either way, I can't complain, nor will I - I'm doing the whole weekend for what will be my 20th consecutive Legends Airshow, so I'm thoroughly looking forward to seeing whatever the organisers can pull together. See you in a week everyone!

Member for

8 years 7 months

Horsemen arent coming now as Duxford couldnt/woukdnt give them any Hangar space. Apparently dan friedkin was given space at a nearby RAF base but there was no facilities to put any aircraft together.
Seems to have been a bit of a struggle to get participants together this season.

Member for

9 years 7 months

Horsemen don't actually need to bring aircraft with them, there are enough P51s at Duxford already for them to do their routine.And which "nearby RAF base" would that be to Duxford?

Member for

8 years 7 months

I cant remember which one the guy at shuttleworth said but I believe it was a training base somewhere. There is also a chance he was using an old name for the base. I figured that Berlin Express and Hun Hunter would be suitable and could use either Miss Helen or Shark.

Member for

16 years 5 months

I was also surprised just how far the hospitality marquees are running along the crowd line now.

Member for

18 years 10 months

Horsemen arent coming now as Duxford couldnt/woukdnt give them any Hangar space. Apparently dan friedkin was given space at a nearby RAF base but there was no facilities to put any aircraft together.
Seems to have been a bit of a struggle to get participants together this season.

I can't imagine for one bit that an unprecedented approach would have been made by Dan to a "nearby" RAF base to rebuild aircraft. Just thinking of nearby active RAF airfields, Marham - no chance, Henlow no space, and that's about it for nearby bases, as for the security and passes and logistics of getting people and equipment in and out of any base, and the cost the RAF/MoD would charge..... it just wouldn't happen.....

Don't always believe what you may hear at the fenceline!

Member for

20 years

I find the F L spectator experience to be hard work, worth it, of course but still quite an arduous day, with lots of walking. I think the non-VIP folk are very much 2nd class citizens, with just two short flanks of fenceline to try and get some sort of view. When the Tank Bank was available, it was much better , but Shoreham happened, and everything changed.

The Red Arrows last performed at DX on a weird 45 degree axis, off the Royston end, and for all the spectators at the M11 end, the display was stupidly distant, like seeing a display going on at a neighbouring airfield.

We are lucky to have Flying Legends, they have produced some fantastic shows, but I do feel they need to re-examine the customer experience ( ie the non VIP people ) who presumably provide most of the revenue

Member for

20 years

Spamfire, sorry, Spitfire No 15 added today.

I find the F L spectator experience to be hard work, worth it, of course but still quite an arduous day, with lots of walking. I think the non-VIP folk are very much 2nd class citizens, with just two short flanks of fenceline to try and get some sort of view. When the Tank Bank was available, it was much better , but Shoreham happened, and everything changed.

I agree to a point, but Legends has been better than other DX shows in recent years because the whole of the 'jet pan' area has been made available for spectators. Also, if the set-up is like the May show, the whole grass area between AirSpace and Hangar 2 will also be available for spectators.

The Red Arrows last performed at DX on a weird 45 degree axis, off the Royston end, and for all the spectators at the M11 end, the display was stupidly distant, like seeing a display going on at a neighbouring airfield.

The Red Arrows have displayed at DX again since then and returned to the normal display line.

Member for

6 years 6 months

there will be quite a few debuts this year to both FL and the air show circuit as a whole - DH9, buchon, the american daks and maybe the silver spitfire?

Member for

8 years 7 months

Agent K I do.believe it was henlow mentioned thinking again about it!

I'm not too familiar with the bases down around duxford but it would be a struggle if it's on active MOD property I give you!

I think I've learnt my lesson about believing fenceline gossip. Should have guessed really as this guy did seem to be a bit of a no it all

Member for

14 years 6 months

I'm not attending Legends this year. Line up is one factor but most it's due to there being several other displays I have attended and I can't afford them all (both financiall and physically. Getting a bit lazy in my old age).
I've traded FL (and RIAT) for Daks over Duxford, Headcorn, Biggin Hill and the Dux BoB day.
BTW what happend to the Skyraiders and will they return?

Member for

6 years 1 month

Maybe there’s concern about Skyraiders coming together with Mustangs?

Member for

20 years 5 months

I gave up attending Legends airshows after I felt the atmosphere had gone from the place after 2006. Ever since imo, the rules & regs have destroyed airshows & I don't enjoy the flying at all anymore. Ever since 2007 I have only attended Duxford for club gatherings i.e Radial Nine members day at ARCo & the friday before Legends if there's something special to see. If I'm desperate to see some flying, then I go to Old Warden, where you can still just about see the aeroplanes with the naked eye. Had I not been on nights this week then I'd have gone to Yeovilton to see the Harriers perform.