What's happened to Tangmere?????

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 5 months

I haven't seen him on here for a while and notice his mugshot has dissappeared from the current Britain at War, looking at the staff in the mag, it appears he is no longer the editor either?

Hope he is ok.

Original post

Member for

8 years 7 months

Hes something the do with the new magazine that's coming out.....I believe it's called iron cross or something similar

Member for

11 years 5 months

For a moment I thought the Museum there had closed.

Member for

14 years 10 months

A shame that such a magazine only surfaces now at a time when there are so few surviving Luftwaffe Veterans. Will be interesting to see if it lasts the course.

Member for

19 years 5 months

Interesting concept for a magazine...especially in these times...where many believe conversation/debate/expression is limited.

As The Times headline says, it might be seen as taboo. Certainly, if it was in the U.S, I could see it being the object of name calling and calls for it to be banned...before anyone has read an issue.

Member for

16 years 3 months

Certainly, if it was in the U.S, I could see it being the object of name calling and calls for it to be banned...before anyone has read an issue.

Errrrrrrr..... Why would anyone want it banned ?? Please explain, I am genuinely puzzled.

Member for

19 years 5 months

Simply put..anything that offends ANYONE'S sensibilities, especially if it can be seen as promoting Nazi ideals (even if it's not...just stating historical fact), is ripe for criticism and therefore, potential banning or, equally effective, pressuring potential advertisers to stay away.

Rather like some of the recent reaction to American Civil War monuments and history.

I'm not saying it will happen, just that there would be a fair chance of it.

Member for

18 years 4 months

To be a bit controversial is not a down side, publicity will help sales. The myths surrounding the axis campaigns and people involved deserve to be explored with credit to those who lost family members and those who came back mentally and physically scarred.

Member for

16 years 3 months

J Boyle...... Thank you for your reply. The way I see it, it is just history. It has happened so record it. Trying to rerun history, blank it out or change it all seem rather pointless. There are things I don't care for and offend me but I just live with them. Perhaps I am too tolerant???

Just thinking about it, a publication of this type will surely add balance. We have had plenty from the Allied side, including "How we won the war". War is a bloody and murderous business from where ever it is viewed. If it makes folk sit back, think and talk, then it is for the good.
Thinking and talking beats fighting every time. "" Jaw, jaw is better the war, war..... "" !!

Member for

24 years 2 months

I despair at the way the world is going - students now have "trigger warnings" in case a subject contains upsetting material which may cause them anxiety or distress. The academic 'elite' are pandering to this sensitivity, so before long anything they don't like will be erased from the pages of history in the drive to sanitise life...

Member for

20 years 8 months

If it's any consolation, my children who are in their early/mid teens view the whole pc thing with a healthy amount of sceptism. They feel that certain current campaigns are going too far and turning peoples' acceptance of people who are a bit different into bored annoyance. A lot of their friends apparent feel that way as well.

Back on topic. Many years ago I read "The sky my kingdom" and "I few for the Fuhrer". Having read countless books from the Allied perspective, these books did make an interesting read.

Member for

17 years 5 months

Bob, it's already happening, the bags handed out in Normany showing the beaches code words and countries landing missed the British off.

Member for

17 years 11 months

I haven't seen him on here for a while and notice his mugshot has dissappeared from the current Britain at War, looking at the staff in the mag, it appears he is no longer the editor either?

Hope he is ok.

He is still active on Twitter.

Member for

19 years 7 months

Bob, it's already happening, the bags handed out in Normany showing the beaches code words and countries landing missed the British off.

Well everyone knows that the only beach at Normandy was OMAHA :rolleyes:

It really surprises me that it has more publicity simply because it was the one stuffed up landing when the other four, where the troops were put ashore in the intended place, were less costly. That isn't to denigrate the bravery of the landing force but simply point out the peculiar bias that's crept into the folk memory.

Member for

10 years 2 months

Omaha... the only real debacle due to the U.S.Command refusing to accept any of Hobart's "Funnies"... (save for the Duplex Shermans which were launched much too far out)... because they were of the typical mindset... "If we didn't think of it; it can't be any good"... as usual.

Member for

14 years 3 months

What was the problem with the Normandy bags exactly? Was this a product aimed at the folk from USA and Canada?

Member for

20 years 8 months

It would be nice to see a good film made of the Pegasus bridge landings to redress the balance a bit.

Member for

14 years 3 months

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/11...landings-video

And not for the first time...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/britain-at-war/10015709/Anger-as-French-tourism-campaign-ignores-one-of-the-D-Day-beaches.html

Thanks for clearing that up Bob.

We seem to be a long way from the PC brigade re-writing history there then! The former link shows what seem to have been a simple print omission by a supplier, where the product was withdrawn from sale once the error was noticed. The second shows that Sword beach is omitted from a tourist scheme due to the local authority declining to be involved, but has the open option to join later should they wish. I would suggest that Sword beach is the one the French would be least interested in actually removing from history, bearing in mind that that was where their Commandos landed!